Profile for Lesley70 > Reviews

Content by Lesley70

Lesley70

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Philips GC7635/30 PerfectCare Pure Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature, 240 g Pressurised Steam Boost

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Makes Me Love Ironing, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to using this iron I had never before used a steam generator, so my review is from the perspective of someone new to this sort of thing.

Overall I am very impressed. The instructions were easy to follow and using the iron for the first time I had no problems at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say I now love ironing but it's certainly made it a lot easier and quicker to get the job done. The instructions that come with the iron recommend using it in standard mode for best results but I found this generated so much steam that I felt like I was in a sauna. (Perhaps because I'm not used to using steam generator irons?) So I use it in eco mode which uses less water and creates less steam. I have had no problems getting creases out of any items (including jeans) using eco mode and I'm still ironing much faster than I did using my basic iron. It is lighter than my previous iron but I find this is more of a bonus than a problem, as I'm able to iron for longer without my wrist wanting to give out.

I was dubious about the smart chip technology - the iron apparently senses what it's ironing and adjusts the temperature accordingly - and whilst I haven't rushed to try it on anything silky, the items I have cautiously tried ironing, waiting for them to scorch, have all survived perfectly well and crease free.

I don't think it's great that you have the ongoing cost of buying water softening cartridges to use in this iron (the iron won't function if you don't have a working cartridge in place) but it's worth knowing you can get the cartridges more cheaply on Amazon than direct from Philips. As I live in a very hard water area I tend to use deionised water (apparently if you use deionised water the iron senses this and doesn't use the cartridge) in my iron anyway, so already have that as an ongoing cost. But that's my choice, it hasn't been made for me by the manufacturer.

I've seen no evidence so far of any leaks from the tank (as mentioned in other reviews). Will update the review if this situation changes. I never leave water in the tank when I'm not using it though.

The iron comes with a five year guarantee which is quite impressive and I hope that I will still be using this particular iron in five years time. If I had to replace it, I would save up and buy another steam generator iron. I've definitely been converted to this way of ironing.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70EB-S Compact Digital Camera with LEICA DC Vario Lens - Black (12 MP, 30x Optical Zoom, Control Ring, 1.2.EVF, Wi-Fi with NFC) 3-Inch LCD
Offered by Camera Box Kettering

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Step From Point and Shoot, 12 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm usually more of a point and shoot person - I like the camera to do everything for me - worrying about focal lengths and lighting is a bit beyond my technical abilities. But I also want to be able to take the best pictures I can. I think this camera would make a good step up for someone wanting to move on from letting the camera do everything automatically to making your own choices about aperture adjustment, shutter speed etc.

The camera comes with a cd-rom which contains more detailed instructions and a program for you to store your pictures on your PC. It also has a little booklet of basic instructions - so you can get started almost straight away - you're going to need to charge the battery first, but this charges very quickly. The instruction booklet says three hours (170 mins.) for the battery to charge, but I think it charged quicker for me. You also get a hand strap and a USB cable. If I was buying this as a gift for someone I'd also want to buy a case, so it has some protection. The camera is too nice just to have it loose in your handbag. One of the things I love is that this camera does have some internal memory so if you forget to buy a memory card as part of the present, they'll still be able to take some pictures.

So far I'm still pretty much pointing and shooting and getting some very nice crisp images. Even if you only have experience of taking pictures on your mobile phone just following the basic instruction booklet would see you being able to take pictures with the camera very quickly. One thing I am interested in doing is macro photography, I'm looking forward to tackling butterflies when the weather is better. (Will update my review as my experience with the camera increases).

The camera can also be connected to a smartphone or tablet, this is not something I'm interested in doing, but that option is available.

This is probably not a camera that I would just pop into my handbag on the chance that I might want to take a photo - I can use my mobile phone to do that. But I would take it with me on holiday, to a wedding, wildlife watching, to a child's birthday party etc. places where I wanted to take the best picture I could. (I haven't experienced any of the image quality problems mentioned in other reviews but will update my review if that situation changes.)

Tefal X-Large Actifry Express Health Fryer, 1.5 kg, White
Tefal X-Large Actifry Express Health Fryer, 1.5 kg, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Chips, 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sister has had one of these Actifryers for ages and has raved about it, so when the opportunity came to try one out, I thought I'd give it a go. We got rid of our deep fat fryer years ago and I was hoping this new Actifry would produce chips that tasted better than oven chips without the problems of having to use large quantities of hot oil.

This is quite a large piece of kit and does take up a fair amount of space on your kitchen counter, so if you don't eat chips regularly you'd probably want to consider one of the smaller models (or at the price not bother).

The unit has proved easy to set up, use and look after and whilst you can use it to cook other things (a very short recipe leaflet is provided) I suspect we will be using it mainly for chips.

The instructions are easy to follow - recommended potatoes are King Edwards and Maris Piper. We used Maris Piper. Recommended chip size is 13mm x 13mm thick and a length up to 9cm! Now, while I appreciate having a standard size chip will probably give you better results, I (like I suspect most people) did not measure the chips I was using, I just estimated as best I could. This does mean that you get slightly uneven results, some chips slightly crispier than others, but they tasted just fine. They were definitely better than oven chips but not as good as the ones from our local chip shop. I think if you eat chips regularly and despair of the slight cardboardiness of the oven chip, then this is a purchase you should consider. If I had to return this X-Large Actifry tomorrow I don't think I would replace it, but as a family we eat quite a lot of chips, so I'd almost definitely save up for one of the smaller models.

Kärcher SC1 Premium Steam Cleaner with Floor Kit, 1200 Watt, 3 Bar
Kärcher SC1 Premium Steam Cleaner with Floor Kit, 1200 Watt, 3 Bar

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Steam Cleaner, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The premium version of the SC1 comes with lots of accessories for cleaning various things - a detail nozzle with two different heads, a hand nozzle and a floor nozzle, terry cloths for use with the larger nozzles and extension tubes if you want to use it more like a typical floor cleaner.I've never used a steam cleaner before but overall was quite impressed with this.

The cleaner comes with two sets of instructions. The first book contains the safety instructions with information under the headings Danger, Warning, Caution and Attention, useful (if a little scary) if you've not used a steam cleaner or pressure vessel before. Mostly the information here just requires you to apply common sense when you're using the cleaner. The second book contains the usage instructions which includes a contents list, how to fit the appliance together and how to use the appliance and the accessories.

On first use the instructions are a little daunting (at least I found them so) but actually using the machine was quite straightforward and easy once you've got it assembled. And the more you use it the easier it is. So far I've used it on upholstery and carpet for cleaning specific areas - and whilst it didn't remove the purple biro stains I think it reduced their appearance. I'm looking forward to tackling the kitchen and the bathroom with it.

Being small makes it nice and portable and it reaches temperature quickly once you turn it on. But like the other reviewers I also found that it didn't last for the 8 minutes listed in the main product description. If you've got a huge living room carpet you want to clean you might want to go for one of the larger models.

If you have severe arthritis in your hands bear in mind that you have to hold the trigger for the SC1 in the 'on' position. This is a great health and safety feature as it means if you trip or fall whilst using the cleaner as soon as you let go the steam cuts out. But my mum was unable to hold the trigger on, so this wouldn't be suitable for her. And if you're using the unit for a while your hand does get tired. Also remember that if you live in a hard water area you will need to descale the unit more often.

BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)
BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Lovely To Write With, 8 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a box of 20 Bic purple biros. These have a slightly thicker nib than your usual biro which gives a nice smooth flow when you're writing, almost like using a gel pen. The purple is a lovely colour that's not difficult to read on white paper. The cap is a little stiff to remove but I quite like this as it means you're less likely to lose it. On first use you need to remove the plastic blob over the end of the pen, otherwise you might wonder why you're pen isn't working.

No real negatives at all - but do not let your toddler get hold of one, as well as paper they also write beautifully on carpet, upholstery and wallpaper.

Sumex 4410008 3-Layer Lateral Sun Shade with UV Protection 38 x 65 cm (2 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Big Sunshade!, 22 Feb. 2015
I was looking for a replacement sun shade to protect my little one in the car, as the one I had only covered about 60% of the window, so wasn't that effective.

I have a Ford Fiesta and I'd say this covers about 90% of the rear passenger window with some narrow gaps at either end, it's probably a little too tall for the window but I wanted as much coverage as possible and this size disparity hasn't stopped me being able to attach it. It's a much better sunshade than the previous one. Yes the suckers do get a little deformed as they heat up in the sunshine, but I've never had a problem with it not sticking to the window. And as other reviewers have posted I think the suckers should reform pretty well if you submerge them in hot water.

The only thing I do have a problem with occasionally, is that my little one is now big enough to be able to reach the sunshade and detach it from the window. But as she hates the sun being in her eyes, she's quickly learning that this is not a good idea. And I think this would be a problem with whichever sunshade we had.

Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mould Remover, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like Dettol products and use some of their other disinfectants and wipes, so I was expecting this to work well - and it did.

We have a slight problem with black mould in our bathroom - reading other reviews I suspect I need to keep the windows open more (if only it weren't so chilly). As expected, it worked really well - I used it on the tiles in our shower and was impressed. I followed the instructions, left it on for a few minutes and then wiped it off, rinsed and the mould had gone. However, you do need to make sure the room is well ventilated, I have a bad cough at the moment and it didn't like me cleaning the bathroom.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy a three pack, but we only have mild mould issues in our house. Overall a very good product that's worth getting.

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

3.0 out of 5 stars Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main thing to say about these is that they do have an almost overpowering scent of lemon - which is great, and certainly hits you in the face when you open the packet.

But I didn't find they gave a strikingly different result to my usual cheaper own brand dishwashing powder. In fact the Finish didn't remove all the food stains on a couple of occasions. I think for the huge difference in price between the two, I couldn't justify switching brands when they give such similar results. Other reviews have said that the results you get also depend on the dishwasher you have, so maybe my dishwasher just isn't posh enough for Finish.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

4.0 out of 5 stars Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm - Demure, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really liked this lip balm. It had a lovely smooth creamy application and it didn't go dry and tight. I was a bit worried when I read that it was a stain as I've found they can make my lips feel quite dry. The product itself just has Colorburst Lacquer Balm on it (no mention of the word stain) and it is much more like a lip balm in feel. I did find I had to reapply it a few times throughout the day, so if you're looking for something that you only have to apply once then you should probably look at a different product.

The colour Demure is a very subtle pink, basically a nude but with a nice shimmery sheen to it. Until I read other reviews I hadn't even noticed the slightly minty taste! I immediately went and put some on and it does have a slight mintiness to it, but not overwhelmingly so.

I would definitely try this product again - I like the shade, it's the perfect size to fit in your handbag and it makes your lips feel really nice.

Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Offered by FHFY

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them! But..., 23 Jan. 2015
I bought these as a treat for myself for Christmas and love them. I was concerned about paying nearly £40 for slippers as it's way over what I would usually pay but I think I've worn them every day since getting them. And I kind of justified it to myself because I had £20 in vouchers to spend. They are comfy and warm, I love the way they look and I would definitely buy another pair of Ruby and Ed slippers.

But...

Within three days of buying them, the bow on the right slipper came off. :( Now, from reading other reviews I knew that there might be a possibility I'd have to get my sewing kit out, so I was prepared for it. But it was still a big disappointment. I think if you're paying this much for slippers then you should be able to expect that they'll last for longer than three days before something falls off.

So, the slippers are gorgeous, fit exactly as I'd hoped they would and apart from the right bow they seem really securely constructed. And now I've sewn the right bow back on it won't be coming off again any time soon. As other reviews have said - beautiful slippers but be aware you might have to do some minor repair work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17