Profile for Lesley70 > Reviews

Content by Lesley70

Lesley70

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Sumex 4410008 3-Layer Lateral Sun Shade with UV Protection 38 x 65 cm (2 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Big Sunshade!, 22 Feb. 2015
I was looking for a replacement sun shade to protect my little one in the car, as the one I had only covered about 60% of the window, so wasn't that effective.

I have a Ford Fiesta and I'd say this covers about 90% of the rear passenger window with some narrow gaps at either end, it's probably a little too tall for the window but I wanted as much coverage as possible and this size disparity hasn't stopped me being able to attach it. It's a much better sunshade than the previous one. Yes the suckers do get a little deformed as they heat up in the sunshine, but I've never had a problem with it not sticking to the window. And as other reviewers have posted I think the suckers should reform pretty well if you submerge them in hot water.

The only thing I do have a problem with occasionally, is that my little one is now big enough to be able to reach the sunshade and detach it from the window. But as she hates the sun being in her eyes, she's quickly learning that this is not a good idea. And I think this would be a problem with whichever sunshade we had.

Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mould Remover, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like Dettol products and use some of their other disinfectants and wipes, so I was expecting this to work well - and it did.

We have a slight problem with black mould in our bathroom - reading other reviews I suspect I need to keep the windows open more (if only it weren't so chilly). As expected, it worked really well - I used it on the tiles in our shower and was impressed. I followed the instructions, left it on for a few minutes and then wiped it off, rinsed and the mould had gone. However, you do need to make sure the room is well ventilated, I have a bad cough at the moment and it didn't like me cleaning the bathroom.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy a three pack, but we only have mild mould issues in our house. Overall a very good product that's worth getting.

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

3.0 out of 5 stars Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main thing to say about these is that they do have an almost overpowering scent of lemon - which is great, and certainly hits you in the face when you open the packet.

But I didn't find they gave a strikingly different result to my usual cheaper own brand dishwashing powder. In fact the Finish didn't remove all the food stains on a couple of occasions. I think for the huge difference in price between the two, I couldn't justify switching brands when they give such similar results. Other reviews have said that the results you get also depend on the dishwasher you have, so maybe my dishwasher just isn't posh enough for Finish.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

4.0 out of 5 stars Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm - Demure, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really liked this lip balm. It had a lovely smooth creamy application and it didn't go dry and tight. I was a bit worried when I read that it was a stain as I've found they can make my lips feel quite dry. The product itself just has Colorburst Lacquer Balm on it (no mention of the word stain) and it is much more like a lip balm in feel. I did find I had to reapply it a few times throughout the day, so if you're looking for something that you only have to apply once then you should probably look at a different product.

The colour Demure is a very subtle pink, basically a nude but with a nice shimmery sheen to it. Until I read other reviews I hadn't even noticed the slightly minty taste! I immediately went and put some on and it does have a slight mintiness to it, but not overwhelmingly so.

I would definitely try this product again - I like the shade, it's the perfect size to fit in your handbag and it makes your lips feel really nice.

Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Offered by FHFY

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them! But..., 23 Jan. 2015
I bought these as a treat for myself for Christmas and love them. I was concerned about paying nearly £40 for slippers as it's way over what I would usually pay but I think I've worn them every day since getting them. And I kind of justified it to myself because I had £20 in vouchers to spend. They are comfy and warm, I love the way they look and I would definitely buy another pair of Ruby and Ed slippers.

But...

Within three days of buying them, the bow on the right slipper came off. :( Now, from reading other reviews I knew that there might be a possibility I'd have to get my sewing kit out, so I was prepared for it. But it was still a big disappointment. I think if you're paying this much for slippers then you should be able to expect that they'll last for longer than three days before something falls off.

So, the slippers are gorgeous, fit exactly as I'd hoped they would and apart from the right bow they seem really securely constructed. And now I've sewn the right bow back on it won't be coming off again any time soon. As other reviews have said - beautiful slippers but be aware you might have to do some minor repair work.

Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand
Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand, 19 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are that this looks very professional, the cable is a long length which makes curling hair easier - no contortions if you haven't got a socket at a suitable height - and it's also quite flexible where it enters the styling wand. The wand feels compact, sturdy and well-made and it's nice that it has quite a large barrel. It has an on/off button which makes it safer to use as it won't start to heat up until you're ready to use it. Once you have turned the wand on, it starts at the lowest heat setting and you'll need to turn it up to the desired heat based on your hair type (as per instruction booklet). It heats up very quickly.

If using the wand on yourself you may find it difficult if you're not used to curling your hair without the grip you find on tongs. Using it on someone else's hair is easier. The white tip at the end of the wand gives the impression that this stays cool, but it's only the very centre that stays cool - careful with your fingers.

When you have finished using the wand it does take some time to cool down, so make sure you leave it on a heat proof mat and out of the reach of children. Having said all that the end results are lovely - it makes beautiful curls.

Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked Well on Dog and Food Stains, 2 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found this quite useful for two reasons. One - our dog seems to be of the opinion that if he can fit something into his mouth then it must be food. This usually leads to said something reappearing at a later time from either one end of his body or the other and not always outside in the garden. Two - my lo has recently started potty training and we have had a couple of accidents, she also seems to be of the opinion that tomato sauce is something that should be shared liberally and often.

The spray has worked well on both tomato sauce stains and on the dog vomit that I've had to clean up recently. I followed the instructions on the packet, spraying it on to the carpet, covering with a damp cloth and then scrubbing to get rid of the stain. On all occasions it has removed the stain.

I have a couple of concerns, hence the four stars. My mum (who has asthma) can't use it, even though I don't find the smell of it particularly strong it set her off coughing. And I don't really understand how it works. It says that it removes the stains biologically, (which might suggest the use of enzymes) but there's no explanation on the bottle of how it works. I think I would buy it again in the future as I've been impressed by the stain removal, but I think there will still be a little niggle in my mind as to what exactly it is that I'm spraying on the carpet.

Zyliss 5-Piece Knife Block Set, Black
Zyliss 5-Piece Knife Block Set, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Made and Sharp!, 12 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned what you would call expensive knives before (have always managed with the basics, to the despair of my mother I often cut everything with a steak knife) so can't offer a comparison on how sharp or well made these are when compared to other well-known brands. I will say that within thirty seconds of opening the package someone had managed to cut themselves - so they are plenty sharp enough for me!

The first thing I noticed on receiving the package was the weight of it - the knife block itself is a solid bit of kit, and the knives themselves feel nice and substantial in your hand when you're using them. The only disappointment for me (and hence the loss of a star) is that the block only had three rubber feet instead of four, nothing that a bit of blu-tack couldn't cure but it's disappointing when an item is this expensive for it not to be as good as it could have been.

Having never had a proper knife set before - the carving knife and chef's knife were a little scary, though other members of the family were very impressed. The three other knives in the set were - paring knife, utility knife and a bread knife. The stand out for me was the bread knife, which instantly made me appreciate how inadequate my previous bread knife was. I've finally been able to cut slices of bread that are the same width all the way along the slice, rather than starting off at 1 cm and ending up at 5.

If you have the money to spend and are looking for a knife set this is well made and would make a good first set.

Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tin opener., 2 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This tin opener is sturdy and robust and so far has opened all the tins I've tried it with. (Will update the review if this changes). It is more expensive than other manual tin openers, but it does have the feel that it will last a long time, so is probably worth the investment.

I think another review mentioned that it doesn't come with instructions. I am absolutely hopeless at figuring out how things work but I managed to use this first time without too many problems. Once you've worked out how to seat it on the tin then you're pretty much well away. The large handles mean it doesn't dig into your hands while you're using it and because it has a locking mechanism you don't have to do that thing where you're trying to squeeze the handles together as hard as you can for the tin opener to work.

My mum (who has arthritis in her hands) has also been able to use it without any problems and has said she prefers it to her automatic tin opener.

Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Offered by Jac in a box

4.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzle and Great Customer Service, 16 Oct. 2014
My lo had Orchard Toys Who's on the Farm bought for her as a present and she was getting to the stage where she could do it almost straight away, so I wanted to get her a different puzzle. I really liked the Orchard Toys product so I chose this one for her. It had slightly more pieces (25 rather than 20) and still had animals on it and was bright and colourful. I like the suggestions they have on the boxes for how you can extend the puzzle to other things - counting the animals, what sounds do the animals make, how many different animals are there, etc. Making it much more of an interactive experience.

When the Who's in the Jungle puzzle arrived I didn't check it first (bad mummy) but gave it to her straight away. Mainly because she loved the previous puzzle so much I wanted to see what she'd make of the new one. However, it had a piece missing (the tiger's bottom). She looked at me as if to say "fix it" and when I couldn't, she started looking for a piece that we didn't have.

I was quite disappointed as missing pieces had been mentioned in other reviews and I hadn't checked it. But I went to the Orchard Toys website and they have a 'missing piece' and a 'lost piece' service. I put in the details of my puzzle and was really impressed with how quick they were to sort the problem. Within a couple of days my daughter has a complete puzzle to play with and she didn't even seem to notice that the tiger had his bottom back.

I know some of the other reviews have mentioned about the pieces only being cardboard and they won't last. But the cardboard is quite thick and both Orchard Toys puzzles we have, stand up to some pretty rough treatment from my daughter. We've had the Who's on the Farm longer, and some of the pieces are looking a little distressed on the corners, but I'm not disappointed because she loves playing with it and she has been more careful with this new puzzle. I will definitely be buying more Orchard Toys products in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17