Profile for Lesley70 > Reviews

Kärcher SC1 Premium Steam Cleaner with Floor Kit, 1200 Watt, 3 Bar
Kärcher SC1 Premium Steam Cleaner with Floor Kit, 1200 Watt, 3 Bar

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Steam Cleaner, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The premium version of the SC1 comes with lots of accessories for cleaning various things - a detail nozzle with two different heads, a hand nozzle and a floor nozzle, terry cloths for use with the larger nozzles and extension tubes if you want to use it more like a typical floor cleaner.I've never used a steam cleaner before but overall was quite impressed with this.

The cleaner comes with two sets of instructions. The first book contains the safety instructions with information under the headings Danger, Warning, Caution and Attention, useful (if a little scary) if you've not used a steam cleaner or pressure vessel before. Mostly the information here just requires you to apply common sense when you're using the cleaner. The second book contains the usage instructions which includes a contents list, how to fit the appliance together and how to use the appliance and the accessories.

On first use the instructions are a little daunting (at least I found them so) but actually using the machine was quite straightforward and easy once you've got it assembled. And the more you use it the easier it is. So far I've used it on upholstery and carpet for cleaning specific areas - and whilst it didn't remove the purple biro stains I think it reduced their appearance. I'm looking forward to tackling the kitchen and the bathroom with it.

Being small makes it nice and portable and it reaches temperature quickly once you turn it on. But like the other reviewers I also found that it didn't last for the 8 minutes listed in the main product description. If you've got a huge living room carpet you want to clean you might want to go for one of the larger models.

If you have severe arthritis in your hands bear in mind that you have to hold the trigger for the SC1 in the 'on' position. This is a great health and safety feature as it means if you trip or fall whilst using the cleaner as soon as you let go the steam cuts out. But my mum was unable to hold the trigger on, so this wouldn't be suitable for her. And if you're using the unit for a while your hand does get tired. Also remember that if you live in a hard water area you will need to descale the unit more often.

BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)
BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Lovely To Write With, 8 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a box of 20 Bic purple biros. These have a slightly thicker nib than your usual biro which gives a nice smooth flow when you're writing, almost like using a gel pen. The purple is a lovely colour that's not difficult to read on white paper. The cap is a little stiff to remove but I quite like this as it means you're less likely to lose it. On first use you need to remove the plastic blob over the end of the pen, otherwise you might wonder why you're pen isn't working.

No real negatives at all - but do not let your toddler get hold of one, as well as paper they also write beautifully on carpet, upholstery and wallpaper.

Sumex 4410008 3-Layer Lateral Sun Shade with UV Protection 38 x 65 cm (2 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Big Sunshade!, 22 Feb. 2015
I was looking for a replacement sun shade to protect my little one in the car, as the one I had only covered about 60% of the window, so wasn't that effective.

I have a Ford Fiesta and I'd say this covers about 90% of the rear passenger window with some narrow gaps at either end, it's probably a little too tall for the window but I wanted as much coverage as possible and this size disparity hasn't stopped me being able to attach it. It's a much better sunshade than the previous one. Yes the suckers do get a little deformed as they heat up in the sunshine, but I've never had a problem with it not sticking to the window. And as other reviewers have posted I think the suckers should reform pretty well if you submerge them in hot water.

The only thing I do have a problem with occasionally, is that my little one is now big enough to be able to reach the sunshade and detach it from the window. But as she hates the sun being in her eyes, she's quickly learning that this is not a good idea. And I think this would be a problem with whichever sunshade we had.

Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mould Remover, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like Dettol products and use some of their other disinfectants and wipes, so I was expecting this to work well - and it did.

We have a slight problem with black mould in our bathroom - reading other reviews I suspect I need to keep the windows open more (if only it weren't so chilly). As expected, it worked really well - I used it on the tiles in our shower and was impressed. I followed the instructions, left it on for a few minutes and then wiped it off, rinsed and the mould had gone. However, you do need to make sure the room is well ventilated, I have a bad cough at the moment and it didn't like me cleaning the bathroom.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy a three pack, but we only have mild mould issues in our house. Overall a very good product that's worth getting.

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

3.0 out of 5 stars Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main thing to say about these is that they do have an almost overpowering scent of lemon - which is great, and certainly hits you in the face when you open the packet.

But I didn't find they gave a strikingly different result to my usual cheaper own brand dishwashing powder. In fact the Finish didn't remove all the food stains on a couple of occasions. I think for the huge difference in price between the two, I couldn't justify switching brands when they give such similar results. Other reviews have said that the results you get also depend on the dishwasher you have, so maybe my dishwasher just isn't posh enough for Finish.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

4.0 out of 5 stars Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm - Demure, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really liked this lip balm. It had a lovely smooth creamy application and it didn't go dry and tight. I was a bit worried when I read that it was a stain as I've found they can make my lips feel quite dry. The product itself just has Colorburst Lacquer Balm on it (no mention of the word stain) and it is much more like a lip balm in feel. I did find I had to reapply it a few times throughout the day, so if you're looking for something that you only have to apply once then you should probably look at a different product.

The colour Demure is a very subtle pink, basically a nude but with a nice shimmery sheen to it. Until I read other reviews I hadn't even noticed the slightly minty taste! I immediately went and put some on and it does have a slight mintiness to it, but not overwhelmingly so.

I would definitely try this product again - I like the shade, it's the perfect size to fit in your handbag and it makes your lips feel really nice.

Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Velvet Plum Ballerina Slippers by Ruby & Ed (UK 6)
Offered by FHFY

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them! But..., 23 Jan. 2015
I bought these as a treat for myself for Christmas and love them. I was concerned about paying nearly £40 for slippers as it's way over what I would usually pay but I think I've worn them every day since getting them. And I kind of justified it to myself because I had £20 in vouchers to spend. They are comfy and warm, I love the way they look and I would definitely buy another pair of Ruby and Ed slippers.

But...

Within three days of buying them, the bow on the right slipper came off. :( Now, from reading other reviews I knew that there might be a possibility I'd have to get my sewing kit out, so I was prepared for it. But it was still a big disappointment. I think if you're paying this much for slippers then you should be able to expect that they'll last for longer than three days before something falls off.

So, the slippers are gorgeous, fit exactly as I'd hoped they would and apart from the right bow they seem really securely constructed. And now I've sewn the right bow back on it won't be coming off again any time soon. As other reviews have said - beautiful slippers but be aware you might have to do some minor repair work.

Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand
Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand, 19 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are that this looks very professional, the cable is a long length which makes curling hair easier - no contortions if you haven't got a socket at a suitable height - and it's also quite flexible where it enters the styling wand. The wand feels compact, sturdy and well-made and it's nice that it has quite a large barrel. It has an on/off button which makes it safer to use as it won't start to heat up until you're ready to use it. Once you have turned the wand on, it starts at the lowest heat setting and you'll need to turn it up to the desired heat based on your hair type (as per instruction booklet). It heats up very quickly.

If using the wand on yourself you may find it difficult if you're not used to curling your hair without the grip you find on tongs. Using it on someone else's hair is easier. The white tip at the end of the wand gives the impression that this stays cool, but it's only the very centre that stays cool - careful with your fingers.

When you have finished using the wand it does take some time to cool down, so make sure you leave it on a heat proof mat and out of the reach of children. Having said all that the end results are lovely - it makes beautiful curls.

Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked Well on Dog and Food Stains, 2 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found this quite useful for two reasons. One - our dog seems to be of the opinion that if he can fit something into his mouth then it must be food. This usually leads to said something reappearing at a later time from either one end of his body or the other and not always outside in the garden. Two - my lo has recently started potty training and we have had a couple of accidents, she also seems to be of the opinion that tomato sauce is something that should be shared liberally and often.

The spray has worked well on both tomato sauce stains and on the dog vomit that I've had to clean up recently. I followed the instructions on the packet, spraying it on to the carpet, covering with a damp cloth and then scrubbing to get rid of the stain. On all occasions it has removed the stain.

I have a couple of concerns, hence the four stars. My mum (who has asthma) can't use it, even though I don't find the smell of it particularly strong it set her off coughing. And I don't really understand how it works. It says that it removes the stains biologically, (which might suggest the use of enzymes) but there's no explanation on the bottle of how it works. I think I would buy it again in the future as I've been impressed by the stain removal, but I think there will still be a little niggle in my mind as to what exactly it is that I'm spraying on the carpet.

Zyliss 5-Piece Knife Block Set, Black
Zyliss 5-Piece Knife Block Set, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Made and Sharp!, 12 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned what you would call expensive knives before (have always managed with the basics, to the despair of my mother I often cut everything with a steak knife) so can't offer a comparison on how sharp or well made these are when compared to other well-known brands. I will say that within thirty seconds of opening the package someone had managed to cut themselves - so they are plenty sharp enough for me!

The first thing I noticed on receiving the package was the weight of it - the knife block itself is a solid bit of kit, and the knives themselves feel nice and substantial in your hand when you're using them. The only disappointment for me (and hence the loss of a star) is that the block only had three rubber feet instead of four, nothing that a bit of blu-tack couldn't cure but it's disappointing when an item is this expensive for it not to be as good as it could have been.

Having never had a proper knife set before - the carving knife and chef's knife were a little scary, though other members of the family were very impressed. The three other knives in the set were - paring knife, utility knife and a bread knife. The stand out for me was the bread knife, which instantly made me appreciate how inadequate my previous bread knife was. I've finally been able to cut slices of bread that are the same width all the way along the slice, rather than starting off at 1 cm and ending up at 5.

If you have the money to spend and are looking for a knife set this is well made and would make a good first set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17