Profile for Lesley70 > Reviews

Vtech 504503 Toot-Toot Animals Boat
Vtech 504503 Toot-Toot Animals Boat

4.0 out of 5 stars Toot-Toot Animals Boat, 27 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Vtech Toot-Toot Animals Boat is brightly coloured and seems to be pretty robust, it has taken a fair amount of abuse over the past couple of weeks, including being stood on (which it's not intended for) and so far my two-year old hasn't managed to break it and is also still playing with it. The boat has one smart point but doesn't come with any smart point animals. We've had the Toot Toot drivers before but didn't have any of the animals and this hasn't lessened my little ones enjoyment.

It does come with six roly-poly animals - monkey, lion, giraffe, panda, pig and cow - these are weighted at the bottom so will right themselves if knocked a little. Sometimes we have all the animals in the boat, sometimes the giraffe is in there on his own and the other five are off elsewhere doing their own thing. We look for them and don't find them, but then the next time you open the boat they're all back! It's a little creepy. They are somewhat easy to misplace but so far we always end up back at six.

The boat plays music - if you've had Toot Toot items before you know that the songs and phrases will quickly drive you mad but your children will love them. There are two volume settings but no matter how often you set it at low (which doesn't seem that much different to high) it will always end up back on the higher setting. The boat will also count the animals - one to six - when you push them through the top section, this is probably my little one's favourite thing at the moment. There are four push buttons that will talk about the weather and colour, there are also things to spin and a door to open. The animals will drop through a trap door when you push down on the smart point. Lots going on but everything is located on one side of the boat, as if it's been designed to be played with against a wall, which leaves the other side feeling a bit empty.

The recommended age range is 1-5 years, but I think older children are not going to find much to interest them and very young children are going to put the animals into their mouths. I'd think it's probably more suited to 2-4 years and if you buy at the bottom of the age range, it's very well made with lots to interest young children and you should get at least 2-3 years use out of it.

FIND Women's Short Sleeve Rib T-Shirt, Grey (Grau), 12 (Manufacturer size: Medium)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to Wear, 26 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Usually I wear a 12/14 top, and choose medium if that's the sizing of the t-shirt. I was expecting this to come up small but actually when I tried it on, I liked the fit. I prefer my t-shirts to be on the loose side, so this was perfect for me. It clings a little because of the ribbing on the fabric, but because it's not tight it has a nice drape to it.

The fabric is 95% modal, 5% elastane and it's really soft and silky, lovely to wear. The fabric is quite fine compared to a 100% cotton t-shirt. I'm going to wear this in autumn/winter with a vest top underneath, because it's a slightly loose fit it's perfect for layering. But in summer you could wear it on it's own.

It hasn't shrunk on washing, and I've cool ironed it with no problems. Overall, I'm very pleased.

The Squirrels Who Squabbled
The Squirrels Who Squabbled
by Rachel Bright

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Story, 25 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Squirrels Who Squabbled tells the tale of Bruce the squirrel who is organised and ready for winter, and "Spontaneous" Cyril squirrel who has had other things on his mind rather than collecting food. Both have their eyes on the last pine cone of the season but who will eventually get their paws on it. Bruce is just wanting one more pine cone for his stores, but Cyril has absolutely nothing to eat. How is this all going to turn out?

This is a charming story, beautifully illustrated. It's lovely to read it at the moment because the gorgeous autumnal illustrations are so fitting for the time of year. The story does have a message about sharing and friendship but it's incorporated into the story and you don't feel like you're being hit over the head with it.

Font style and illustration vary from page to page, which really helps when you're reading the story aloud, it gives you an idea of pace and when to emphasise certain words. If it's a story you end up reading over and over again, you shouldn't get too disheartened because there's a lot there to keep you and your little one engaged with the story. (To begin with I didn't realise the bear turns up two pages earlier than you actually think he does).

If you can afford it, this is one story that's worth getting in hardcover and it would also make a lovely birthday present.

Knighthood for Beginners
Knighthood for Beginners
by Elys Dolan

3.0 out of 5 stars Knighthood for Beginners, 23 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Knighthood for Beginners tells the story of Dave the dragon, who, having failed his dragon exams, pursues his dream of becoming a knight. Armed with the aforementioned book and accompanied by his trusty steed Albrecht the goat, he confronts baddies, defuses riots and defends the kingdom but can he actually become a knight?

My daughter and I didn't get along with this story as well as I'd hoped. There's a good idea here but the story has lots of characters and is a bit all over the place. I found the character of Albrecht more appealing than Dave, who can be a little whiny at times. There's a lot going on style wise, it combines text, illustrations, comic book style panels and I don't think you'll appreciate everything on a first read, meaning it does have good re-readability. There's something happening on every page.

It does have a sense of humour, though sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard and that's when it doesn't work as well. There is an incorporation of German phrases and there is an accompanying glossary which makes it a little bit different. I haven't read anything by this author before and I'm not sure this has impressed us enough to look at her other titles.

Note - if you need text to be clear, some of the pages are black font on dark grey background and you may find it difficult to read.

Panasonic Smart Home Kx-Hn6030Pmk Pet Monitoring Kit, White/Black
Panasonic Smart Home Kx-Hn6030Pmk Pet Monitoring Kit, White/Black
Offered by nextdayhardware

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the problems I have with this system is that it's not a pet security system - which is what it's being marketed as. Once you take off the outer sleeve and remove a voucher offer for Petplan there is no further mention of pet security anywhere. Instead, this is clearly a basic starter kit in a home monitoring system. You have the option of expanding the system and adding more components. This is apparent from the diagram on the main box which features the hub and nine other items which can be added to the system. Only three components (which are in the box along with the hub) are shown, the remaining 6 are greyed out. You get one door sensor, one camera and one smart plug with the hub.

There is a quick setup guide, which helps make setting the system up easier as the font in the instruction booklets is small. There are four separate instruction booklets, one for each item. This is a modular system, so they just slip in whatever the appropriate instruction booklets happen to be. In a way it's useful, you can just take one item at a time and work through, but sometimes it's annoying having to refer between books.

The picture resolution of the camera is not great so if you were hoping to use this system to record your pet's behaviour for posterity you should perhaps think again. If you what you are looking for is a basic home monitoring kit then this is it, but you might want to check different configurations of the set up to get the one that is best for you. I think it is wrong that this is being marketed as a pet supervision system, when that is clearly an afterthought and not what the setup is designed for.

Lowry LDH2002 20L Portable Dehumidifier, Digital control panel, Continuous Dehumidification, Anti-frost/Defrost, Ionise Function, Easy Empty, White - Free 3 Year Warranty
Offered by Electrical Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dehumidifier, 19 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been very impressed with this Lowry 20L portable dehumidifier. It seems sturdy and well made, and over the course of a day is pulling an impressive amount of water into the water drawer.

If you've used a dehumidifier before you'll probably find the buttons similar to what you've used previously and pick up on any differences without problem. I have and had the unit set up and running within ten minutes of unpacking it. If you haven't used one before, the instruction booklet is clear and easy to follow with simple diagrams illustrating the different features of the machine, it also has a trouble-shooting section if you run into any problems. There are two pages of safety instructions which should definitely be read if you're unfamiliar with how to use a dehumidifier.

You can run it in four different ways - dryer mode, if you're using it in a room where you're drying clothing (my primary reason for having a dehumidifier, especially come winter); continuous extraction mode; smart dehumidifying mode where the unit will automatically control room humidity in the range 45-55%, and you also have the option of setting your own humidity level.

Things I liked. The water drawer has a carry handle, this makes it so much easier when you have to remove the drawer to empty it. The unit also seems to work quickly, in dryer mode it took less than a day to fill the water drawer, clothes do seem to be drying better. It's not that noisy, though it's slightly louder if you use the turbo function.

Niggles. It is heavy, this is mainly a problem when unpacking, as once you've got it unpacked it is on wheels, though it's something to be aware of if you need to carry it upstairs. There is no mention in the instructions (that I can see) of what the ioniser function is/does. My previous dehumidifier didn't have this option so I don't know when or if I should use it. It should also be noted that the instruction booklet I received says the dehumidifier is guaranteed for twelve months, there is no mention of a free 3-year warranty as currently mentioned in the title.

Overall - an impressive dehumidifier, that works well with easy to follow instructions. Well worth considering if you will be drying a lot of clothes indoors come winter.

Class One Farmyard Fun (Class One, Two & Three)
Class One Farmyard Fun (Class One, Two & Three)
by Julia Jarman

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Re-Readable, 18 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Class One Farmyard Fun is a picture book which tells of Class Ones visit to the farm, and the exciting time they have when the resident bull takes exception to their presence.

My little one loves this and asks for it to be read over and over (he likes to play spot the bull), luckily it stands up well to re-reading. As a parent reading it, it's not one that you'll instantly be wanting to hide at the back of the bookshelf (maybe after the fifth time?). The illustrations are bright and eye-catching with things happening in the background as well as the pictures covering the main story. The pictures do have a slightly fuzzy quality, I think they may have been done in pastels. The story itself has humour, peril, a quick-thinking child and pigs doing plops. The rhymes don't always scan 100%, which I mention here, because I know some people don't like that, but for me, it doesn't take anything away from the storytelling and probably allows you to be a bit more creative with your reading aloud.

I've not read the other books in the series, and this does stand alone, but having read and enjoyed this one it's a series I'll look out for.

Maybelline Color Sensational Eyeshadow Mono 40 Nude Glow
Maybelline Color Sensational Eyeshadow Mono 40 Nude Glow

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not Nude, 17 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Nude Glow eye-shadow from Maybelline is not what I would describe as a nude, instead it's a metallic rose bronze shade. It's quite nice to apply, very soft, and colour builds up quickly. Rather than a nude it's quite a strong shade and it would be easy to apply more than was wanted. Given that, I was surprised it didn't last longer and I found it had worn off after a few hours. It would probably last longer if worn with a primer.

The little case is small enough to easily fit into a small handbag and the price is reasonable.

Overall - nice metallic shade, though definitely not a nude. The colour is quite intense, won't suit everybody and I wish it had a little more staying power.

BABY WATCH Girls' Watch zap Libellule
BABY WATCH Girls' Watch zap Libellule

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea But Expensive, 17 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 4-year old daughter loves this watch, it doesn't seem to have come off her wrist since it arrived). It is quite plasticky (as can be seen in the product pictures) but seems like it will stand up well to rough treatment and it has two securing bands for the strap. You could take one of these off to keep as a spare in the event that it will eventually snap through use. (This always seems to happen to my watches). The strap is very pretty, decorated with flowers and dragonflies, but I don't think the actual dial is as easy to read as the close up product pictures suggest. The strap has 8-holes so should fit a wide range of wrist sizes, my daughter's wrists are quite slender, she's wearing it on the last but one hole.

The watch comes in a nice box that would make a lovely present. The outer box has a cardboard push out clock face and hands so your child can make a clock face. It also comes with an instruction booklet that will help you with how to teach your child the time. The learning method suggested is split into four steps of increasing difficulty - 1) Basic telling time, 2) exact telling time, 3) precise telling time, 4) - expert level. A very good idea, especially if you don't know where to start with teaching your child how to tell the time.

I do think the watch is overpriced - it does look more like a child's toy watch than a proper watch - and Baby watch is an unfortunate brand name choice - it's going to put off some children, "I'm not a baby" is something I already hear from my daughter. Luckily she was less interested in the brand name than the watch.

Overall - it's a good idea in a well-presented box with an informative instruction booklet, it would make a nice present. Most likely to appeal to the 4-5 age range, I think my daughter is the exact target age group. However, it is expensive for what you get, would be worth monitoring the price and buying when on special offer.

This Works Modern Natural Beauty No Wrinkles Tired Eyes, 15 ml
This Works Modern Natural Beauty No Wrinkles Tired Eyes, 15 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 13 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since having my son, two years ago, I can count on one hand the number of full nights sleep I've had. So, I thought this was the perfect product for me to try as the wrinkles under my eyes now rival a bloodhounds.

You may be disappointed to hear that this No Wrinkles Tired Eyes cream is not a miracle cure for tired looking eyes, not for mine at any rate. I do think there is a little improvement, some tightening effect but this is somewhat offset by it not being that pleasant to use.

One pump from the dispenser is meant to be enough for both eyes. I actually found it was slightly too much, so you end up using more product than you probably need to. The texture of the product is okay, if a little greasy. But I didn't think the smell of the cream was that nice - it had a slight burnt, earthy odour to it.

Overall, worth a try, it may suit you and I did think there was some improvement, but I don't think the experience of using the product is as nice as it needs to be. If a beauty product isn't as good as it's hype then it needs to be offering something else and that isn't happening here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20