Profile for Robert Mansell > Reviews

Content by Robert Mansell

Robert Mansell

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 2 Aug. 2016
Very impressed with the sound quality

Beethoven: Symphony No. 5; Overture "Leonore II"/Lutoslawski: Symphony No.4 (DG Concerts)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jan. 2016
The best Beethoven 5th I have in my collection.

Sacred Music of Robert Mansell
Sacred Music of Robert Mansell
Offered by Sforzando Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent email review received by Robert Mansell from Canada, 29 May 2015
"I had a chance to check out your "Sacred Music of Robert Mansell" CD and was very impressed with your performance, repertoire and production – you have a great program of works - its refreshing to hear contemporary works that have a tonal and melodic basis, and yet are still imbued with a chromatic richness and an innovative harmonic language; the performance is excellent - very expressive and emotive - and the production quality is very good – very well done; the choir has a great ensemble sound, with a good balance with the organ and the overall performance is deeply poetic and expressive - really great to listen to." Nick Peros. Wow! Thanks Nick!

Measure of Peace (Measure of Devotion Trilogy Book 3)
Measure of Peace (Measure of Devotion Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class read! (especially for gay men), 2 Aug. 2014
I will be so sorry when I finish this trilogy!
I was extremely disappointed when I got to the end of the first book: I wanted it to go on and on - only then I discovered to my great delight that there were two more books to follow! Which I read equally avidly.
Very insightful writing about slavery and its ramifications. Made me think it all through in a way I had not at all done before.

Christopher Rouse: Der Gerettete Alberich; Rapture; Violin Concerto
Christopher Rouse: Der Gerettete Alberich; Rapture; Violin Concerto

5.0 out of 5 stars Utmost mastery!, 30 Oct. 2013
I cannot praise this CD highly enough. Apart from the brilliant concept of Alberich's survival (which I must confess I had never thought about even though I am such a devout Wagnerian), the utterly brilliant performance by Evelyn Glennie and the marvelous orchestra is quite simply outstanding. And even the way that 'Rapture' seems naturally and effortlessly to continue after the (unfortunately, to me anyway, rather mystifying) ending of 'Gerette Alberich' is just wonderful. Listen again and again and again!

Music in the Castle of Heaven: A Portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach
Music in the Castle of Heaven: A Portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach
by John Eliot Gardiner

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest praise, 19 Oct. 2013
I cannot endorse this splendid book enthusiasticallly enough. Most amusingly and wittily written. As a fervent Bach lover I agree with his inspired and intellectual comments. How happy I am to have this volume on my extensive bookshelves ... as equally I am to have Gardiners recordings in my battalion of CDs.

kenable 4 Pole 3.5mm Jack Plug to 3.5mm Socket Extension Cable 1m
kenable 4 Pole 3.5mm Jack Plug to 3.5mm Socket Extension Cable 1m
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Correct connection is important, 22 Aug. 2013
Please note LawrenceC's review - it is very important. At first I thought the cable didn't work until I read his comment that it must be connected to the headphones (or volume/track controller) BEFORE it is connected to the iPad or (in my case) iPod. Then it works just fine.
BTW. Note that the cable is a bit 'heavy'(thick). This may or may not matter to you.

Wagner: Tristan Und Isolde
Wagner: Tristan Und Isolde

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable!, 21 Aug. 2011
No matter how many recordings of Tristan and Isolde you have in your collection, this has to be the top one. Outstanding singing and immaculate conducting - and this said by someone who usually finds Goodall slow and plodding. The recording quality is amazingly good considering its early digital heritage. I cannot understand why this has not been reissued - it is long overdue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2012 9:24 PM BST

Strauss: Complete Music for Brass Ensemble (Royal Academy of Music Symphonic Brass / Watson)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 15 Dec. 2009
I agree with the other reviewer. All rather uninteresting stuff. And why re-arrange Wagner's fabulous music when the original is so good and so readily avialable in hundreds of other and better recordings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2010 10:30 AM BST