Profile for Edwin > Reviews

Feel Euphoria
Feel Euphoria
Offered by musea

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favourite, 13 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Feel Euphoria (Audio CD)
This was the Beard's first album after Neal Morse left and I can say that at the time, I was seriously doubting the band could pull it off without Morse. I still was after this album. I remains my least favourite of all their output. The band were trying a bit too hard to prove they could cope without Morse and they experimented far too much for my liking. But then it's still worth buying for "Ghosts of Autumn", the best ballad they've ever done, and (parts of) the epic "A Guy Named Sid".

Feelin' Right
Feelin' Right

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasted opportunity, 10 April 2015
This review is from: Feelin' Right (Audio CD)
Finally, we can hear the first couple of Travers' albums in a good sound quality. The ones available were very poor. BUT, the person responsible for putting this together must have been snortin' whisky or drinking cocaine. I won't repeat what the shortcomings are (others have commented on this already), but this hardly seems like a professional job. Terrible package, but still a must-have, because of the music. What a wasted opportunity.

Makin' Magic
Makin' Magic
Offered by jim-exselecky

2.0 out of 5 stars in two minds, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Makin' Magic (Audio CD)
What to say about this cd? It's a wonderful album, definitely one of Travers' best. But then the quality of the CD is awful. This is clearly a transfer from vinyl and not even a good one. You can hear the cracking of the needle.
I suppose it's better than not having the album at all, but still...

Old Sock
Old Sock

2.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate title., 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Old Sock (Audio CD)
If there's one good thing to say about this album, it's that the title is really appropriate. An old sock? Yes, that's exactly what the album smells like.
Just one or 2 OK songs, but overall, this is EC's poorest album ever.

It Takes A Lot Of Balls
It Takes A Lot Of Balls

4.0 out of 5 stars When legends unite, 20 July 2014
This review is from: It Takes A Lot Of Balls (Audio CD)
On this album, Travers is joined by none other than drummer Carmine Appice. Appice is, of course, founding member of Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, King Cobra and Blue Murder. In addition, he recorded or toured with diverse acts such as Ozzy Osbourne, Tommy Bolin, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd and Rod Stewart, with whom he also co-wrote the hits “Young Turks” and “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” (don’t hold that against him, though). Not only is he an incredibly powerful drummer, he’s one of the most colourful characters in the history of rock. Bass duties are performed by Uriah Duffy (who went on to join Whitesnake) and T.M. Stevens, famed bass player on some of the most famous recordings of Joe Cocker, James Brown, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, Steve Vai and others.

Right from the first notes, it’s clear what the direction of the album is going to be. Featuring heavy drums, thunderous bass and a crunching guitar riff, “Better From A Distance” sets the tone for the rest of the album. “Taken (The Iguana Song)” is some terrific heavy blues boogie, which wouldn’t have been out-of-place on one of Travers’s early albums. “I Don’t Care” is slow and heavy blues with a chorus that keeps spinning in my head.

Travers and Appice share vocal duties on the album, except for “Gotta Have You”, on which Stevens displays his low, funky voice over an incredible groove. "That was good!", Stevens growls at the end of the song. And he’s absolutely right; this is one hell of a song, and one of my favourites on the album. “Hey You” features some acoustic and slide guitar and shows this band is also convincing on the mellower tracks.

A Hammond organ accompanies the band on the funky “Stand Up”. This one could have used a bit more punch, in my opinion, but the guitar solo makes up for that rather well. “Can’t Escape The Fire” is another nice, slower tune, which reminds me a bit of “Can’t Find My Way Home” (Blind Faith).

The standard on this album is remarkable. There are one or two tracks that I’m not wild about, but there’s always this groove, riff or guitar solo that lifts the song immensely. “I Can’t Let You Go” (with a reggae feel), doesn’t start off as one of my favourites, but there’s this hilarious, totally off-the-mark interlude (you’ve GOT to hear this!), which is followed by the most fantastic guitar solo. These guys had a lot of fun in the studio, I can tell you.

“Keep On Rockin’” is the hardest and fastest track on the album: built around a speedy chorus, it is basically no more than a vehicle for showing off their musical prowess. This will go down rather well in a live setting, I predict. The album is rounded off nicely by an appropriately titled slide guitar solo.

I can’t begin to tell you how surprised and happy I am with this release. This harks back to the heydays of Travers’s solo work and Appice’s glorious past (especially Cactus comes to mind), with lots of variety, spontaneity and a general feeling of FUN. It’s definitely the best album in this style that I’ve heard in a long while. They went on to tour and record a second album, 'Bazooka', but this contained mostly re-recordings of songs from their illustruous pasts, and was a lot less interesting than this one.

Fault Line
Fault Line
by Robert Goddard

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheated, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Fault Line (Paperback)
I've read quite a few Robert Goddard novels, some of which are among my all-time favourite books ("In Pale Batallions", "Take No Farewell",...). "Fault Line" is not exactly his best.
The good:
It's a typical Goddard story: past and present intertwine to form an exciting mystery, with past events casting long shadows. Interesting characters and settings (Cornwall, Capril, Naples). Twists and turns make you compelled to keep reading. You really want to know what exactly happened, who is behind these events and why. A page-turner...
The bad:
... until you come to the end. 'What' happened is not exactly mind-blowing, 'who' is behind it, you could have guessed from the beginning and the 'why' is absolutely ludicrous.
Good read, but the ending makes me feel cheated.

The KISS Album Focus: KINGS OF THE NIGHT TIME WORLD, 1972 - 1982: Volume 1
The KISS Album Focus: KINGS OF THE NIGHT TIME WORLD, 1972 - 1982: Volume 1
by Julian Gill

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but..., 4 Jun. 2012
This is an interesting book; it tells the story of how all the Kiss albums up to the early 80's came to be, including pre-Kiss and outside projects of Kiss members. Excellent reading and very revealing. The writing, though, is another matter. There's lots of repetition, and it reads like a collection of essays, instead of like a good, cohesive book. In fact, that's probably exactly what this is - a collection of essays, previously published on the Net. But most annoying are the typos. There are literally hundreds of them, and I'm not exaggerating. With a book that is in its 3rd printing, this is pretty unforgivable.
Another annoying aspect is the obvious negative bias towards Peter Criss. Most of the information is pretty objective, but the writer makes some quite nasty remarks towards the catman. Unnecessary, in my opinion.
Still, a book that I can recommend to any Kiss fan.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., 28 Jan. 2012
Like many, I was drawn to this book after immensely enjoying "The Pillars of the Earth". In fact, I read "Pillars" about eight years ago and I still consider it one of the best books I've read.
"Fall of Giants" can only be a bit of a disappointment after that stellar work. Sure, even at almost 900 pages it's an easy read, and the epic scale of the book is something that I really appreciate. But then most of the characters are just cardboard and I didn't really care for any of them. The writing, too, just isn't as engaging, and the obligatory sex scenes are just laughable (I mean, really!)
I'd compare this book to family sagas like those by John Jakes or Dana Fuller Ross. Definitely not bad (apart from those silly sex scenes, that is), but I know Follett is capable of so much more.
I mildly enjoyed it, but I don't think I will be reading the sequels.

Tarzan: The Greystoke Legacy (Tarzan a Legend Reborn)
Tarzan: The Greystoke Legacy (Tarzan a Legend Reborn)
by Andy Briggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Weissmuller reborn, 25 Jan. 2012
I wanted to write an expanded review of this book, but then I read another reader's review (Mr. Lawrence's) and he just about sums up my feelings towards this book.
This is a re-imagination of the Tarzan character, but rather of the 'Tarzan The Apeman' version (the movie with Johnny Weissmuller - which was already re-done with Denny Miller and Miles O'Keeffe) and not the original Tarzan.
I have to say it's excellently done, so if you're looking for a 'new' Tarzan for the 'Twilight' generation, this might just be your thing. Personally, I was hoping (and expecting) ERB's Tarzan to re-emerge, so I can't help being a bit disappointed.

A Prayer For Owen Meany
A Prayer For Owen Meany
by John Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary., 27 Mar. 2010
There are quite a few authors who can make me laugh. There are some who can make me cry. There are even some who can do both. But John Irving is the only one who can make me laugh out loud AND cry at the same time. A Prayer For Owen Meaney is my favourite book of all time. No competition. Owen is a character you won't forget, even years after you're read the book. Absolutely brilliant novel...

Page: 1 | 2