Profile for BananaTricky > Reviews

Content by BananaTricky

BananaTricky (Somewhere reading a book)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
SQLP Ladies Womens Handbags Totes Bags Leather Shoulder Bags (Black)
SQLP Ladies Womens Handbags Totes Bags Leather Shoulder Bags (Black)
Offered by Qinjiayuan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, holds loads and looks stylish, 22 Oct. 2016
I love this bag, the price is very reasonable, it is enormous and the detachable interior bag is very handy. Two small niggles. First, the links for the handles have a tendency to come open and either the strap comes loose or it catches on your clothes. My friend also bought this bag and it ripped her shirt. However, I simply superglued the links shut and no problem. Second, the inside base is quite flimsy, almost cardboard like and not attached. I would like it to be heavier as things slide underneath it.

But these are minor niggles. I love it. Looks great, holds my laptop, shoes and all my day-to-day stuff really easily.

Well Hung
Well Hung

4.0 out of 5 stars What do you do when you work with your wife, who you are trying get annulled, but you fancy her like mad?, 22 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Well Hung (Kindle Edition)
Three and a half, what happens in Vegas NEVER stays in Vegas, stars.

I liked this but I didn't love this as much as Mister O. Wyatt is Nick's brother. He has his own business as a carpenter. Natalie runs his office. After being screwed over by two former girlfriends who mixed up business and pleasure Wyatt is determined not to screw up a great working relationship by dating his office assistant, even if she is amazingly hot and sexy and funny.

When the wife of a gazillionaire flies them to Vegas to quote on remodelling the kitchen in her penthouse suite on the strip Wyatt and Natalie celebrate their good fortune with cocktails and roller-coasters and a gondola ride, well a wedding at a cheesy Elvis chapel just rounds off the whole Vegas experience, right? The only trouble is trying to get the wedding annulled the next day!

If I hadn't read the previous book I would probably have rated this higher, but I didn't think this had the laughs that made Mister O such a fun read, and I thought that the start dragged a bit for me.

Looking forward to Josie's book - I have thoughts about her(view spoiler).

Lonen's War: Sorcerous Moons - Book 1
Lonen's War: Sorcerous Moons - Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a fantasy series, 22 Oct. 2016
So, the second book was available on NetGalley and I requested it because Grace Draven raves about Jeffe Kennedy. I enjoyed Oria’s Gambit so much that I went back and bought Lonen's War.

Despite knowing pretty much everything that would happen in the novel I still enjoyed it.

Loner is the third son of King Archimago. Their kingdom of Dru is dying after vicious clawed golems steal their water and their lakes dry up. Tracing the golems back to their source they identify that the golems were sent by a desert race of priests and priestesses called the Bara.

Oria is the sensitive princess of Bara. Unlike her brothers, she has never managed to achieve hwil, the required control of emotions, necessary to take the mask of a priestess and she is so badly affected by the emotions of others that she spends her days isolated in a tower with only the most skilled at hwil able to tend to her.

But when Lonen's army lays siege to Bara and starts killing priests and priestesses, the untutored Oria may be her people's last best hope (sorry, I've got a bit of a quoting sci-fi thing going on today).

Like many fantasy Bildungsroman novels, Oria is more than she seems, her weakness may simply be a version of her being the proverbial Ugly Duckling, but can she negotiate with the Destrye?

This was great world building. The Destrye live in lush forests (until the golems drain their lakes), they are sensual, meat-eating warriors. dark-skinned and muscular warriors. The Bara in contrast live in a desert kingdom of delicate spires. People of magical abilities they are vegetarian, pale-skinned and more technologically advanced. I kind of think of them as being Japanese in temperament and aesthetics but with blonde hair whereas I think of the Destrye as being a bit like Gerard Butler in the film 300, but with longer curly hair - maybe I mean the Persians instead? Anyway, I loved the double-dealing and magic and magical creatures and clash of cultures. Can't wait to read the third instalment.

Beware this is more like part one than a self-contained story and it sort of has a cliffhanger.

Jeffe Kennedy has definitely become an auto buy author.

Three Simple Words (Kingston Ale House)
Three Simple Words (Kingston Ale House)

4.0 out of 5 stars Local boy returns home to his secret crush, 20 Oct. 2016
Four smoking hot little brother's best friend stars.

This is the third book in the series, I haven't read the previous books and found it perfectly easy to read as a stand-alone.

Annie Denning owns her own book store, Two Stories, she also writes a book blog about romance. She believes in true love and happily ever after. He younger brother Jeremy's best friend is Wes, he is the best-selling author of a novel about a man who roams from woman to woman satisfying them sexually and emotionally whilst giving nothing of himself. The book may or may not be semi-autobiographical. Unfortunately, Wes is finding it difficult to write a second novel. He returns home to Chicago in an attempt to break his writer's block.

Annie hates Wes' book but the readers of her blog disagree. After Wes holds a book signing in Annie's store her friends suggest he accompany her to their wedding as her Plus One - and so begins a no-strings relationship between a true romantic, just getting over betrayal by her boyfriend, and a cynic trying to find his muse.

I really enjoyed this. Both Annie and Wes were engaging characters and I'm a sucker for the local boy returns home to his secret crush trope. This is the first book I have read by A.J. Pine but I am keen to read the previous books in the series.

I'll be honest, the cover doesn't really feature as a scene from the novel - but who cares?

I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The Bachelor Auction (The Bachelors of Arizona Book 1)
The Bachelor Auction (The Bachelors of Arizona Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars A too-sweet for me riff on the Cinderella story, 5 Oct. 2016
DNF at 15%

This is a riff on the Cinderella story, Jane the hard-working older sister who has a cleaning business looks after her two sisters who are lawyers but permanently in debt and incapable/unwilling to do anything to keep the family home clean and food on the table. I say "ditch those bitches".

Brock is also the eldest (and only responsible one) of three brothers. Wracked with guilt over his parents' deaths when he was a child his brothers are total manwhores while he does anything and everything his grandfather asks - no matter how unreasonable. When his grandfather announces that they will auction a date with Brock (and marriage potential) for charity Brock is horrified but resigned.

Jane and Brock meet, her shoes break and he buys her a new pair of designer shoes.

Brock and Jane were too perfect and self-sacrificing, their siblings too appalling and the plot too unbelievable. I just couldn't read any more.

A Fool For You (Foolproof Love)
A Fool For You (Foolproof Love)

3.0 out of 5 stars Tortured hero and his best friend's little sister - catnip I tell you, catnip!, 4 Oct. 2016
Hope Moore returns home, thirteen years after her brother John died in a car accident where his best friend and her boyfriend Daniel Rodriguez was driving. Badly scarred and walking with a permanent limp from the accident, Hope has built a new life in Dallas but she returns to her home town to set up a memorial fund in her brother's honour.

Daniel blames himself for John's death and Hope's disfigurement, he has spent the last thirteen years wallowing in guilt for driving that night.

Hope returns home the night of Daniel's surprise birthday party, after the initial shock their natural chemistry takes over and Hope and Daniel's suppressed passion results in a one-night stand. The inevitable happens and Hope falls pregnant, But can two people who once loved each other beyond reason overcome the ghosts of their past?

I loved the previous book in this series but I just couldn't warm to this one. I think it was my utter lack of interest in Daniel, IMHO he was a self-pitying, pathetic excuse for a man who thought only of his guilt, his feelings, his needs. I didn't understand why Hope was still in love with a man who was so radically different from the boy she was in love with thirteen years ago. I also didn't understand why Daniel was so aggressive and dictatorial when he felt he didn't deserve Hope and felt so guilty - it felt wrong somehow.

it wasn't all bad, Daniel got called on his BS by more than one person, I just didn't like him and I couldn't get invested in him and Hope.

Yet I remain invested in this series, I like Katee Robert and will continue to auto-buy her books.

The 48-Hour Hookup (Chase Brothers)
The 48-Hour Hookup (Chase Brothers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmassy feel good novel about the Runaway Bride and Hot HVAC man, 13 Sept. 2016
Argh, how to start this review?

I like Sarah Ballance novels, yet I have to confess "like" is an average of "adore" and "heartily dislike", this one, however, fell squarely into the "like" middle-zone.

The premise sounded a lot of fun. Claire Steven's, famous as the TV newscaster who left two men at the altar and consequently known as "The Runaway Bride" has holed up in her family's old upstate resort which has fallen into disrepair after her uncle's death to avoid the press commentary and a tell-all expose by her latest ex. When her boiler stops working a few days before Christmas she calls a New York plumbing firm, not realising that the man coming to fix her boiler is none other than the notorious "Hot HVAC Guy".

Liam Chase's life has been hell ever since a photo of him was snapped, hot and sweaty without his shirt, now labelled Hot HVAC Guy his family HVAC business has been inundated with women (and some men) calling for more than just boiler repairs. An introvert with little ability to charm the ladies, Liam finds it all distressing and jumps at the opportunity to fix a broken boiler upstate.

When Liam arrives, Claire is chopping down a Christmas tree to put in the cavernous hallway of the resort, a tree which falls on Liam's truck. As the snow fall gets heavier Hot HVAC Guy and The Runaway Bride find they have a lot more than just notoriety in common.

Maybe I should have read this closer to Christmas. Maybe I should have read the previous Chase brother books and then this would have felt like a suitable schmaltzy end to a series. This just felt a little too Christmas Special, too cutesy and too Hallmark for what still feels like Summer here in the UK.

An enjoyable read but save it for closer to Christmas.

Just One Week
Just One Week

2.0 out of 5 stars Second chance romance - not for me, 13 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Just One Week (Kindle Edition)
DNF at 48%.

I'm sorry, I tried more than once with this novel but I found myself grinding my teeth once too often.

Michelle Dennis is an academic on the verge of getting a faculty position at a prominent University. She is also on the way to her brother's best friend, Alex Stafford's, parents' wedding anniversary party, days celebrating with a family she has been actively avoiding for eight years after Alex humiliated her.

My hackles raised when Alex met Michelle at the airport and calmly announced that not only was he driving her to his parents' house, despite her already having hired a car, but he had also cancelled her reservation at the local B&B and she was being forced to stay at the house. Although actually it wasn't the house, it was the cottage nearby, the scene of the aforementioned humiliation. Alex is determined to 'have it out' with Michelle and talk about what happened eight years ago, and frankly he doesn't care a single iota what Michelle wants.

Alex also has a huge chip on his shoulder because he is dyslexic, he's a millionaire NFL player but he suffers from crippling anxiety that he can barely read and write - in fact he orders the same thing in practically every restaurant rather than try to read the menu. Now I have great sympathy for people with dyslexia but Alex's attitude seemed a little bizarre. On one hand he is pushy and, despite being the person in the wrong, forcing Michelle to do what he wants, yet on the other hand he feels intellectually inferior to her and believes she would look down on him if she ever found out the truth.

Add in Alex's pushy mother who keeps trying to match-make the two of them, his crone of a grandmother who subjects Michelle to an interrogation, and his father who deliveries irritating homilies - the subtext of which appears to be 'you might be clever, but what you really need is a husband and some children to keep you busy' - and I bailed.

I think this might have worked better for me if Alex hadn't been such a bully, if his mother had done all the manoeuvring and Alex and Michelle were her hapless pawns?

I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review and I remain grateful even though I didn't enjoy the book.

Playing It Cool (Sydney Smoke Rugby Series)
Playing It Cool (Sydney Smoke Rugby Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Found my new book boyfriend, a fit rugby player who knows what he wants!, 13 Sept. 2016
Four and a half ruckin' stars!!!

So, I was underwhelmed by the first book in this series, Playing by Her Rules - see my review here - but I do love Amy Andrews so I requested this second book in the series. Wow, am I glad I did.

Harper Nugent is a tall, very curvy girl. Her step-brother Chuck Nugent is a sports presenter and an all-round ass. When he humiliates her in front some of the Sydney Smoke rugby players Dexter Blake feels obliged to intervene, both because Chuck is obnoxious and because Harper has the sort of curves that make his mouth water. What starts out as a fake platonic relationship to annoy Chuck soons morphs into something explosive, but Dex doesn't have long left to prove himself as a rugby player and he doesn't have time for anything but his career. Well that's not going to end well is it?

I just loved everything about this book. What this book had (in my opinion) that the first book didn't was a hero who really, truly, LIKED the heroine. From the very start Dex is 110% clear that he likes Harper, he fantasises about her (even in her painting overalls), he thinks she is lush from head to toe. Dex may be my new book boyfriend. He also likes kids, plays computer games and looks great in a suit, swoon!

I was going to say my only complaint was that it felt short enough to be a novella, but after consulting Amazon I see that it is actually LONGER than the first book, which I'll be honest dragged for me. So basically I devoured this book in one day (whilst also working a full day AND going out for lunch) because I loved it that much.

And I get the impression that Amy Andrews enjoyed writing this too. There's just a lightness of touch and a sheer joy in the writing that shines through. With references to Notting Hill and great dialogue this was great from start to finish. Oh, and can I just say that I thought Harper's response to Dex's meltdown when he was late to practice was awesome. She kicked butt, took names and handed him his sorry ass.

I leave you with one of my favourite Dex lines (that can get past the Amazon censors):
"Oh, yes." He nodded. "She's exactly my type. I'm completely smitten. But please," he said, leaning in conspiratorially, encouraging both Chuck and Andrea to lean in, too. "Don't say anything to her, because I'm pretty sure she's just using me for sex."

I just can't wait for the next book, may have to resort to re-reading this one!

Shadow Falling: The Scorpius Syndrome 2
Shadow Falling: The Scorpius Syndrome 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-moving, intelligent dystopian romance, 8 Sept. 2016
Four and a half stars OMG I can't believe I didn't request the first book from NetGalley!

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I have not read the first book in this series but I found it easy to pick up the plot. The earth has been devastated by the Scorpius Syndrome which turns people into sociopaths, at its worst they become mindless ravening zombies but it can also leave people as highly functioning serial killers.

Dr Vinnie Wellington is a psychologist, after being infected by the Scorpius syndrome by the President of the USA she has become almost able to read minds (this wasn't really explored in much detail in the book). The book starts with Vinnie having nightmares about her time with the President, from which she was rescued by Vanguard (a group based in part of old Los Angeles) generally and Raze Shadow specifically.

Whilst the petite Doctor has a crush on the uninfected super soldier she doesn't realise that he has a different mission, to kidnap her and exchange her with the Mercenaries who have kidnapped his baby sister Maureen.

I'm not a fan of Zombie books/ films generally, which is probably why I didn't request the first book, but this isn't about that at all. There are too many plots to even try to condense into a short review.

What did I love about this book? Well first, Raze. Obvs he is big and muscular and scary, but he is also intelligent. Whilst he does go all alpha on Vinnie and try to push her around she isn't above kicking him and punching him in the 'nads to express her displeasure and while he might start off tying her to a radiator he soon learns that the best way to get her to do as he says is to T.A.L.K. to her. Yep, he talks to her, he explains why he wants things done and sometimes he lets Vinnie do what she wants.

Then there's Vinnie herself. Although she has great insights into people, her infection and/ or the cocktail of drugs she was fed by the sociopathic president has also made her blurt out her innermost thoughts, especially around Raze.

The plot was fast-moving as Raze struggles between his feelings for Vinnie and his need to rescue his sister, the interactions with the Mercs, the troubles in camp and glimpses of the president's camp.

My only criticism? I wanted more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15