Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LEGO 42070 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck Toy
LEGO 42070 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant build experience which will even keep a 38yr old big kid busy!, 8 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant Technic Lego set - streets ahead of my first ever set owned as a child.

The build manual is like a technical blueprint manual - very detailed but extremely easy to follow. The only thing I struggled with ever so slightly at the beginning of the build was recognising the difference between dark grey items and black items in the manual. The colour of these in the manual is, at times and depending on the light you're working under, easy to confuse. I spent about 20 minutes looking for a black part which was actually dark grey!!!!

I tried downloading the build app for iPad, but despite there being details of the app in the manual, this model is not available to select from the digital bookshelf once you've downloaded the app. In addition, although the product listing says you can deconstruct the tow truck and rebuild it as an arctic explorer, there is nothing about this in the manual - you have to download the instructions for that vehicle from the Technic Lego website. It can be downloaded onto an iPad but I haven't yet built this model so I don't know whether following on-screen instructions will be as pleasing as turning the pages of the paper manual!

My only other minor criticism is that unlike other lego models, there is no correlation between the individual bags of parts in the box and which part of the manual these relate to. I ended up using a series of tupperware boxes to separate parts by colour, and kept the main black / blue connectors which are a feature of most parts of the build in separate containers of their own!

The build probably took about 10 hours, although I was often working on it while watching telly so not 100% concentration!

Polar Unisex H10 Heart Rate Sensor and Pro Chest Strap, Black, Medium/2X-Large
Polar Unisex H10 Heart Rate Sensor and Pro Chest Strap, Black, Medium/2X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, reliable HR sensor which works better than the old H7 model., 27 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have previously been using a Polar H7 HR sensor which came with my V800 watch. This one smashes is hands down.

For a start, the battery compartment is a much better design. The old H7 required a coin in a slot to turn the battery cover which always ended up slightly snarling the plastic and I was never convinced that it sealed very well, which was a worry as I use the HR sensor for swimming. The new one has a very definite 'click' cover, which while requiring a screwdriver to prize the cover off, feels much more secure when clicked back into place.

I like the new strap with its extra sensors - the contact area is slightly longer than with my old strap. It delivers a HR to my watch and the Polar Beats app more quickly than the old one and more reliably. I sometimes had to wet my fingers and rub them along the contact strip to get a reading - not so far with this one. My only gripe about the new strap is the clasp. It's now a plastic click buckle (a bit like a rucksack or a child seat strap in a car), whereas my old strap has a hooked end. The new fastening is a bit more fiddly to undo.

The profile of the sensor is slimmer than my old H7 which is great - I wear it when I'm doing gym workouts as well as other sports so sometimes I am lying on my front on a bench and this sensor is less uncomfortable (it's still not brilliant, but it's better!)

The Polar beats app is new to me as I've always used Polar Flow with my V800, but I've used it a few times and it's easy to use. I also like the ability to have a stored straining session in the HR sensor itself which can be dumped into the polar beats app afterwards.

Wahl James Martin Stand Mixer
Wahl James Martin Stand Mixer

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mixer for the price but more suited to cake batters than bread, 16 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good mixer at the price. I have used it for sponges and biscuit dough and it has performed very well indeed. For bread dough, if I'm honest, it feels underpowered and struggled it's way through the mix!

The casing of the mixer is plastic, so it doesn't have a high-end, quality feel but then you are not paying a high-end price. The stainless steel accessories feel of good, durable quality and wash up well. One feature I really like is the suction cup feet - I honestly wish my other AEG brand mixer had the same as it sometimes creeps across the counter top whereas this one doesn't move at all.

If you are on a budget, and spend most of your time on cake batters then this will be an ideal mixer for you. If you are a budding Paul Hollywood and want to make bread day-in-day-out then I would save up and spend a bit more on a model with a more powerful motor.

Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player with High-Resolution Audio and Hi-Fi Quality - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the first things that pleased me about this player is how easy it was ..., 10 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the first things that pleased me about this player is how easy it was to set up. The whole process took just a little over 20 minutes, and pretty much does it by itself! I was also pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to stream media through this player. Its not something I've done before, and it was really quite intuitive. In fact, the whole user interface was nice and easy to use.

Perhaps the most important point is that the picture and audio quality is absolutely fantastic, even on the streaming, which was somewhat of a surprise! In the past when I've tried streaming it has been a bit shonky, but I was pleased to see the picture quality was not only very good whilst streaming, bit also that it played smoothly without jumping and freezing. You'd hardly know that you weren't watching a disc.

Chai, Chaat & Chutney: a street food journey through India
Chai, Chaat & Chutney: a street food journey through India
by Chetna Makan

5.0 out of 5 stars as it is my favourite cuisine, and this book stands head and shoulders ..., 10 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the years I have amassed a whole shelf of Indian cookbooks, as it is my favourite cuisine, and this book stands head and shoulders over many of the others. The recipes are straightforwards, don't call for anything too difficult to obtain, and best of all actually turn out like they are supposed to. I also like the way the book is separated out into different regions; its a great way to get to appreciate the differences in Indian food from one region to the next.

Tala Originals Cream Pepper Wooden Capstan Mill
Tala Originals Cream Pepper Wooden Capstan Mill

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite keeper!, 10 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have gone through quite a few pepper grinders in the past, and other than my Peugeot one, I have invariably been disappointed with them. However, this manual grinder is fantastic - its easy to fill and simple to adjust the coarseness of the milled pepper. A definite keeper!

Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Hair Removal Device for Body & Face - BRI950/00
Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Hair Removal Device for Body & Face - BRI950/00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleasing results in a short space of time and really simple to setup and use!, 25 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am very impressed with this IPL device.

I have previously tried a different (much more cumbersome) device on a random patch of hair on my abdomen and it made no difference at all. I have used this one, as per the instructions (very easy to follow), for the initial weekly period and am now a couple of months into the maintenance period and the amount of hair re-growth is next to nothing!

It's very easy to set up and to use the automatic skin tone reader so you know what setting to use. The actual IPL window is quite a small area, and you need to get used to how much to overlap your passes by (but the pink tinge of the skin after use lets you know easily if you have missed anywhere), but you can cover a large area surprisingly quickly. Again, compared to a previous home IPL which I tried, this goes on working for ages. The previous one had to constantly stop to cool down which became very frustrating.

I can't review the smaller window attachment because I've not used it, but I'm sure it would be equally as easy to use as the 'body window".

All in all, very happy with this - simple to setup and use and so far - great results.

If I had one criticism, it is that the plug adapter is quite large and with my particular plugs means it's easier to switch the plug on and then plug in because you can't easily get to the switch if you plug in first - it's a very small gripe!

Maped Color'peps Superhero paint - Fluo & Metallic colour pack
Maped Color'peps Superhero paint - Fluo & Metallic colour pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly easy for a child to control, 15 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fairly easy for a child to control, with little to no squirting, and washes off the hands very easily, which was a godsend! The colours are true to the way they appear in the bottle. Although it would be better if the colours were slightly thicker, so they didn't soak through porous materials so easily, overall we were very impressed!

Bosch AdvancedAquatak 150 High-Pressure Washer
Bosch AdvancedAquatak 150 High-Pressure Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastically powerful washer which has halved the time of most jobs!, 28 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an incredible pressure washer!

Slight criticism out the box is that the only instructions are on the box flaps in the form of a quick setup series of diagrams. The actual manual (which is massive) in the box is simply a range of health and safety warnings.

However, the washer is easy to set up; simply screw on the quick connect hose pipe inlet, plug it in and you're ready to go.

There is a range of nozzles - an adjustable fan shaped one, a brilliant rotating circular one and a pointed jet one. There is also a detergent bottle included which at first wasn't obvious as to how to connect (it is not in the quick setup diagram) - we could see it had a bayonet fitting but took ages to spot that the head which is on a wand that can take interchangeable heads has a connection for it. Even turned down onto its lowest detergent setting it went through a whole bottle before I'd finished foaming up the car so make sure you have plenty!

It is so powerful and quick - I cleaned a patio which in the past would take a whole afternoon with my small washer in just over an hour. Also of note in this feat is that it didn't overheat and cut out like a smaller washer did (multiple times!)

The power lead is long, as is the high pressure hose so you can leave the unit itself and not have to keep moving it - you have loads of range. The coil up high pressure hose is also a real bonus.

There are additional tools available online - I think I might treat myself to the brush attachment.

Cell Workout
Cell Workout
by L J Flanders

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful reference guide for anyone looking for bodyweight exercise inspiration, 24 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Cell Workout (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful book for anyone who is looking for ideas for a complete exercise programme with absolutely no equipment.

There are useful sections on flexibility exercises as well as the exercises themselves which are helpfully split into body parts. There are suggested programmes to follow at the rear of the book, but so far I have used the book more as an inspiration for some different bodyweight exercises to try rather than following to the letter (however I am an experienced exerciser - the programmes would be useful for a complete beginner to follow). The different body areas have markers down the side of the page which show on the end grain of the paper so you can flick between 'chunks' quite easily.

If I had one criticism of the book it would be about style rather than content. It is rather a bland book to read. I understand that the whole concept is that it's exercise which can be performed in a prison cell, but because all of the pictures are of the same person in the same cell in the same lighting it's just a little bit uninspiring to look at!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20