Profile for Gearsau > Reviews

Content by Gearsau

Gearsau (Mount Lofty, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sanctuary. Steve McCurry: The Temples of Angkor
Sanctuary. Steve McCurry: The Temples of Angkor
by Steve McCurry

1.0 out of 5 stars Sanctuary: The Temples of Angkor, 4 April 2013
I purchased the book, second hand through Amazon. No problems with the packaging , but, I should have taken note of the previous reviews. No-one else liked the book, and, I cannot recommend this book either. It seems like Steve McCurry only covered one or two temples, and there is no description of what the temples are.

There is some information in the front of the book, and it appears to be written by a John Guy. The font size is too small, and who, in their right mind, would print this in ORANGE ??

I thought, as the temples had been photographed by Steve McCurry, that it would been good.. I have been to Angkor Wat on a number of occasions, and, my work is better.

If you are considering a book on Angkor Wat, I thoroughly recommend " Angkor, Cities and Temples ", by Claude Jacques

Mysteries Of Angkor Wat, The (Traveling Photographer)
Mysteries Of Angkor Wat, The (Traveling Photographer)
by Richard Sobol

2.0 out of 5 stars The Mysteries of Angkor Wat., 22 Mar. 2013
I was expecting something much better than what I received.
Having been to Angkor Wat and its' surrounding temples on a number of occasions, I was looking forward to this book.
44 pages in all !

The temples that are all lightly covered are : Angkor Wat,The Bayon, Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei and Ta Prohm,

I recognised one photo as being taken at Beng Mealea temple, yet, the captioning did not mention this. Beng Mealea is an amazing temple, but, involves a long tuk tuk ride through some amazing country side to get there. It was one of the high lights of my last visit there in September, 2011

I cannot recommend this book.

Mythology
Mythology

5.0 out of 5 stars Mythology by the Bee Gees, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Mythology (Audio CD)
Have liked the Bee Gees for decades. I already have a number of their Cd's, but, purchased this set, becasue it has all their most popular tracks on the 4 Cds.

Autocourse 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual
Autocourse 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual
by Alan Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Autocourse 2012, 10 Feb. 2013
I have been purchasing Autocourse since 1972. I did miss a few years when I lived in Japan, and was unable to purchase it, but, havent missed an issue since 1997.

Always a great record of the years' F1 season. I purchase it for the photography and the technical articles.

Motocourse Annual 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix & Superbike Annual
Motocourse Annual 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix & Superbike Annual
by Michael Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Motocourse 2012 Annual 2012, 18 Jan. 2013
I have been purchasing this annual for well over 25 years. Think I missed one year. Great articles, photos, and review of the seasons MotoGP races.

GRRR!
GRRR!

5.0 out of 5 stars GRRR!, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: GRRR! (Audio CD)
Great album. I am a long time Stones fan, and this has all the good tracks from the 60's. Would have liked a classier package, but, maybe it was done this way to keep prices down.

Images: the Best of Jean Michel Jarre
Images: the Best of Jean Michel Jarre

5.0 out of 5 stars Images..Jean-Michel Jarre, 14 Dec. 2012
I have been a fan of JMJ for many years. Already had a previous " Images" but, purchased this new one as it contained extra tracks.

Classic Formula 1, Calendar 2013
Classic Formula 1, Calendar 2013
by Paul-Henri Cahier
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Formula 1 Calendar 2012, 14 Dec. 2012
Usual high standard of photography by the Master of F1 Photography, Paul-Henri Cahier.
Well designed , and worth the money. Nice to actually see a car in the scene, rather than being all blurry and hard to find, unlike some other F1 photographers work.
Would have liked to have seen more of my favorite driver, Ayrton Senna, but, one can't please everyone.

Angkor Cities and Temples
Angkor Cities and Temples
by Michael Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Angkor, Cities and Temples, 5 Dec. 2012
I purchased this book a couple of years ago, on my first visit to the Angkor Temples in Cambodia. I can honestly say, that this book, is by far the best book covering the temples.
The standard of photography is brilliant, and there are plenty of explanations covering the meaning of the temples and carvings.
The book isnt a lightweight item that you will read once and disgard.
Every time I look at this book, makes me want to go back again..

14/4/2015
Just picked up a second copy, as my first book is buried in boxes from a recent apartment move. The book is so good, that I could not pass up the chance to get another copy ( second hand )

The cover photo is of Banteay SreiTemple.
That temple is about 25 km out of Siem Reap. Interesting ride out there via tuk-tuk. Go through some small villages on the way out to there. Nice to see how the local people live.
I would recommend a trip in the afternoon, as the sandstone turns a nice pink colour in the late afternoon light.

Laura Branigan - The Platinum Collection [International Release]
Laura Branigan - The Platinum Collection [International Release]

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Disc # 2, 20 Nov. 2012
I recently purchased this CD compilation. I have experienced the same problems as a previous reviewer. Bad recording. Scratchy. I am in Australia and it will be too much trouble to post it back to UK. Buyer beware.

24th May, 2012.

I recently RE-ORDERED this disc by mistake. Well, the new disc arrived and yes, its faulty as well . So, both copies are going back to Amazon. Its a pain, as I am in Australia, but, there must be a bad batch of them....

I have two faulty discs, and a previous reviewer had one..... Not impressed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3