Profile for Gearsau > Reviews

Content by Gearsau

Gearsau (Mount Lofty, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ancient Angkor (River Books)
Ancient Angkor (River Books)
by Michael Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Angkor by Michael Freeman, 4 Nov. 2016
I mislaid my first copy, so, picked up another to use when I revisit Cambodia in March, 2017. Angkor and the Temples. Amazing place. I suggest that you don't rush things and, allow a week to explore the place. Three days, is I found out on my first visit, back in 2010, is insufficient time. Especially if you want to travel to Beng Mealea etc.

7 Days in Myanmar: A Portrait of Burma by 30 Great Photographers
7 Days in Myanmar: A Portrait of Burma by 30 Great Photographers
by John Downie Falconer

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is OK, BUT, what has ruined ..., 4 Nov. 2016
The book is OK, BUT, what has ruined it for me , is the ridiculous small font used in the description of the photos. I wear reading glasses, but, I needed a magnifying glass to see the description. Plenty of room to go from perhaps a font size of 4 to perhaps 10 ?

The Angkor Guidebook: Your Essential Companion to the Temples
The Angkor Guidebook: Your Essential Companion to the Temples
by Andrew Booth
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

3.0 out of 5 stars The Angkor Guidebook, Your Essential Companion, 4 May 2015
This book may be of interest for the first time visitor to Angkor, but, IMO, its too bulky to carry with you around the temples.
The " before and after " illustrations are interesting. The book is well done, but, just an awkward size for carrying around in the hot and humid site.

I know that I would not carry it around there.

Judge John Deed Collection (23 Episodes) - 14-DVD Box Set (Dutch Import)
Judge John Deed Collection (23 Episodes) - 14-DVD Box Set (Dutch Import)
Dvd ~ Martin Shaw
Offered by MMRSALES

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge John Deed Collection., 14 Feb. 2015
I haven't started viewing the DVDs yet, but, as I enjoy the TV series immensely , I give the collection a Five (5) Star Rating .

China's Great Wall: A Photographic History as Seen through the Lens of Zhai Dongfeng
by Dongfeng Zhai

5.0 out of 5 stars China's Great Wall: A Photographic Tour Through the Realm of Enchantment, 31 May 2014
Nice book. Extremely well photographed . I have been in China on numerous occasions and have walked at least 5 kilometres on the wall. If you are looking for a well presented book on The Great Wall of China, you would be satisfied.

A few years ago, I travelled by train from Beijing to Urumqi and back to Shanghai. I recognised some places in this book.

In the Shadow of Angkor - Unknown Temples of Ancient Cambodia
In the Shadow of Angkor - Unknown Temples of Ancient Cambodia
by Kent Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars In the Shadow of Angkor, 15 April 2014
Interesting book that covers the early European discovery of the Angkor Kingdom. I purchased this book to have some more knowledge of the temples.

I have been to Angkor on three separate occasions. I feel the need to go back again this year .

China zu Fuß: The Longest Way
China zu Fuß: The Longest Way
by Christoph Rehage

5.0 out of 5 stars The Longest Way, 8 Mar. 2014
A great pictorial diary of Christoph Rehage's walk across China. I purchased this book, because, as they say : " A picture tells a thousand words ". I did study German in school, but, that was a long, long time ago. However, the photos here tell the story for me.

I had followed Christoph's blog " The Longest Way ", on the internet, and was very happy to see this pictorial record of the journey.

A few years ago, I did the journey from Beijing to Urumqi by train, stopping at Jiayuguan to see the great fort there.
It was a long trip by train, so, to do the 4,646 kilometers by foot, was an immense task. I returned to Shanghai by train as well as it's the only way to see China.

If the book is ever produced in English, I will certainly purchase it : The Longest Way: 4646 Kilometer zu Fuß durch China [German] [Hardcover)

Christoph.... I take my hat off to you !!

Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747
Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747
by Clive Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747, 16 July 2013
Interesting book.. The Boeing B747 is one plane that I have done countless trips in. I purchased the book second hand from World of Books, The book arrived in a suitable time as I am in Australia.

No problems at all with the sale, and I recommend the seller..

Live Rust
Live Rust

1.0 out of 5 stars Live Rust, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS ITEM !! .. Sound is atrocious. .. Scratchy.... If I wasn't in Australia, I would send it back. Too much trouble . Its rubbish....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 11:27 PM BST

Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor
Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor
by Barry Brukoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor, 22 Jun. 2013
Quite a good book on Angkor Wat, but, I prefer the book by Michael Freeman and Claude Jacques, " Angkor, Cities and Temples" as it the photography is better, and his book covers more temples.

If you were only going to purchase one book on the Angkor Temples, buy Michael Freeman's book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3