Profile for Sam E > Reviews

Content by Sam E

Sam E (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sutphin Boulevard (Five Boroughs Book 1)
Sutphin Boulevard (Five Boroughs Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... usually leave reviews on amazon anymore but I can't recommend this book enough, 2 Aug. 2015
I don't usually leave reviews on amazon anymore but I can't recommend this book enough. It's angsty, hot and the writing is beautiful. Very raw, very emotive, it's the secondary characters that made it for me though. I can't wait for book 2.

Meatworks
Meatworks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Meatworks (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit to Meatworks being my first JCP book. Ever. Psycops and all the others have passed me by in a bit of blur and honestly I only decided to read this one because it was a buddy read and I was a touch intrigued by the subject matter. A man with a robotic arm? Yes, why the hell not.

In all honestly Des the (anti-hero) pi*sed me off big time - I was frustrated by him, he had Corey who was fully in control of his own bit of prosthesis all up in his face and was he bothered? Not in the slightest. It had me wanting to slap him around the face with his own robotic attachment.

Corey however was wonderful. Hands (pun intended) down wonderful. He challenged Des at each step in regards to his prosthesis, the life he was leading and backed away when necessary to protect himself (think of the sea monkeys people!!). Jim was well....honestly? Was I suppose to like the character? Feel sorry for him? I'm not sure. For me he had a touch of the martyr about him. But then Des used him in so many ways to get what he wanted. Part of me felt that both Des and Jim were under the assumption they could click their fingers and the other would come running....I almost cheered when the chain came off.

This book wasn't about Des's relationship with either man. It was about him and his arm. He didn't love it, he hated to even be near it, but the moment he was without it, he really really needed it.

As for the writing it was wonderful and I'm embarrassed that I haven't read any of the authors books before. So... yes I loved it it was a hot mess of things but mostly Des.

Also was £4 too much to spend on my first JCP when there are other that are free? Absolutely not.

Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange Book 1)
Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Dec. 2013
This is one of the best shifter books I've read in a while. It was, beautifully written.

A new shifter series (I'm assuming) the story revolves around Quade. A Jackal shifter. He is a seer, a true Alpha, one that can not only change humans into shifters but also heal to. More powerful than a 'normal' alpha he has been estranged from his pack for over twenty years after being turfed out due to his sexuality.

For the past fourteen years he has been a body guard to the scarred and disfigured Roman. Employed by Roman's father he became Romans protector and right hand man, whilst all the while shifting in secret and trying to hide it from Roman. It slowly becomes apparent though, that their feelings have changed for one another. Roman, so determined to claim his man, Quade so determined to stop it.

When Quade is asked to return to his pack to fight the now abusive alpha he finds himself thrown into a state of confusion. He claims his man but he may have to leave him.

I loved this. I really did. It didn't follow the norm, it threw new elements into the genre. Quade was wonderfully written, but for me Roman is the stand out character of the book. Sharp, sarcastic, tough, he is the perfect mate who gets under Quade's skin and stays there. Irrespective of his scars and looks he fights for his man. Not physically but with every cell in his body. The book is hot and sexy and pitched just perfectly.

I've only ever read one book by Mary Calmes before, Acrobat and that impressed me. This was better, much better. I assume it is the start of a series, although I am not sure. Two many hints dropped for there not to be.

If you want something a little different then get this.

Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous little story, 24 Dec. 2013
If you are looking for a gorgeous short with a wonderful good factor about it then this is the book.

Grumble Monkey Nick St George has everything he needs. Money, a good business, expensive clothes and car. But money can't buy you everything. One snowy, stormy evening whilst wallowing in self pity he travels to San Francisco. On his way he picks up the flamboyant Kit, a department store elf, promising artist and who is a cute as a button. The two are complete opposites. Nick can't understand why anyone would want to flaunt their sexuality (he hates it), Kit can't understand why anyone would want to hide it.

The two begin a journey of self discovery and it made me a little mushy inside.

I loved the giraffe references, loved how Nick slowly (ever so slowly) changed his outlook on life, loved Kit - his views on life, his family and he was so just damn sweet and lovely. He was such a wonderful contrast to Nick who was so cut off and insular.

I love BG Thomas's books. He writes such gorgeous stories. An excellent Christmas short!

Go buy!

Forbidden (Assassin/Shifter Book 21)
Forbidden (Assassin/Shifter Book 21)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the series, 24 Nov. 2013
I'd just like to say it is completely unfair to give this book 1 star reviews based on the problems with downloading. This problem was Kindle Direct Publishing / Amazon's fault not the authors. If you have problems downloading the book contact Amazon through their contact us section and it will be sorted for you. I realise the download update SHOULD be automatic but for whatever reason this didn't happen. Technology eh?

I know the author is probably mortified by whats happened. These books are her babies, this is her livelihood. There is no way that this would be done intentionally. I had the problem with mine. It took two minutes to sort it.

For those people who have left 1 star reviews, get the problem fixed with Amazon through their contact us section and then come back and re-review after that.

Anyway the book. As usual I loved it. I have really enjoyed the shift this series of books has taken. Now we are dealing with numerous types of shifters and magic. Jesse and Noah's story has been rumbling for a while and thank god they get their happy ending.

The story throws up some surprises and lots of intriguing stuff for future books.

I don't like giving a blow by blow account of what went on in reviews. If you are a fan go out and buy it. If your new to the series start at the beginning with A Marked Man.

Transparency
Transparency

5.0 out of 5 stars Transparency, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Transparency (Kindle Edition)
I have to be honest I bought this as a quick read mainly because the two authors are autobuy's for me, now that I have read it I would recommend to anyone.

A story of acceptance (from both MC's) wonderfully written dialogue and interaction I was, in places, moved to tears. Charlie was just amazing, Taylor wonderful. Charlie's friends utter idiots.

Gorgeous story. Gorgeous book.

Buy it.

Broken Bonds (Assassin/Shifter Book 20)
Broken Bonds (Assassin/Shifter Book 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of my favourites, 2 Nov. 2013
I had been kinda waiting for this book since - well god knows and it lived up to my expectations.

Jude and Jackson and wonderfully John and Anya. Finally the two alphas get their story and John finds a new love.

Stand out scenes include dad's asking sons for sex advice and the whole notion of a broken bond.

Can't wait for Forbidden!!

Out of the Blackness (Avery Book 1)
Out of the Blackness (Avery Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 5 Oct. 2013
I don't think I can recommend this book enough to anyone (I have already).

Going to parts of the human psyche that are uncomfortable to read, dealing with PTSD, Mental Illness, Cognitive Therapy, extreme anxiety, paranoia and just life in general it had me gripped from the start.

When I read the two reviews left previously I thought nah... no tears for me. How wrong. 6% in? I was borderline blubbering like a baby. The author has done their research, it was absolutely harrowing in places. One scene in particular that stood out for me was set during a therapy session when Avery just combusted and broke down. I literally had to turn my kindle over, take a breather and re-read it. Amazing.

I don't like giving plots away in reviews and I won't here but the MC's - Avery and Noah are just stunning. As are the secondary characters, Kaleb, Scott, Kira and the rest of Avery's support network.

It's a beautiful thing reading a characters journey out of the blackness into the light and that's exactly what happens here.

Just buy it.

Accidental Alpha (Pack Partners Book 1)
Accidental Alpha (Pack Partners Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, 25 Sept. 2013
I loved this book. It's well written, witty, sexy and a bit different to the normal shifter stories. I agree with the other reviewer that the sex scene at the end was a bit too last minute (it felt rushed) BUT don't let that detract you from buying it. Lex is fabulous and the way he steps up to the plate to lead his pack is fab.

Can't wait for the next instalment! (longer next time though!)

It Takes Two (Counting on Love Book 2)
It Takes Two (Counting on Love Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the series, 17 Sept. 2013
This book is the 2nd in the Counting on You series and as always Erin delivers.

The book begins with Isabelle trying to fall out of love with Shane - cop, all round good guy and one of those men that Erin writes so well - you know the ones, funny, sexy and down right filthy. After being diagnosed with a condition that curtails her partying Isabelle decides to make some changes in her life, stop partying, less alcohol and the last, rather dramatically involves her trying to get Shane to fall out of love with her. Because he wouldn't even consider being with 'boring' Isabelle right?

Wrong.

See I love Erin's writing and I love the men she creates. How could you not want someone in your life who would literally do anything for you?!! (Because thats what Shane's does once he sets his mind to them moving in together and having a HEA).

I found Isabelle frustrating at times - not in a bad way because I got where she was coming from. I think everyone has these little moments of 'I'm not good enough for this person' and in my eyes the author did that very well.

The couple end up on a barmy road trip where they have to deal with amoungst other things tourist shops, getting arrested and their feelings including Isabelle's insecuritites and Shane's doubts and frustration with her (although these are very small) about the whole situation.

The book is as ever hot. However what stood out for me were two scenes because they made me cheer and wobble. One involved Shane and Connor (who is Isabelle's sister) which got me all emotional and the other with Isabelle and Emma. I do believe Emma's book is next and I have to say she did frustrate me more than ever in this. However I can't wait to find out what the author does with her story because she seems a bit of a handful.

As always read the first book called She's the One first (which is Amanda and Ryan's story). It sets this one up nicely and I think they are wonderfully made to be read in order.

I was given an ARC for an honest review!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8