Profile for A. Donaldson > Reviews

Content by A. Donaldson

A. Donaldson (Cumbria, United Kingdom)

Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought (Pragmatic Programmers)
Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought (Pragmatic Programmers)
by Drew Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy book, keep within arms reach, prosper., 14 Mar. 2013
Disclaimer: I'm happy to call Drew one of my friends.

I've been holding off reviewing this book until I'd felt like I'd finished it. The subject matter is dry and isn't the sort of book that I can read cover to cover. After a few months I realised that no matter how many times I read from it, I'd never feel like I've given it it's final read.

But understand, the book has not left my desk since it arrived. It has sat faithfully waiting for my next adventure into the next new feature of Vim that I wanted to learn. I use it nearly every day.

And that is where the strength of this book lies - you have an itch, you search the contents/index and boom, you have a clearly written and accessible guide to functionality that will add to your knowledge. To speed uptake, the book is littered with mnemonics and regularly redefines terms used in Vim's own extensive help, where appropriate.

There is nothing in this book that you couldn't find online or in Vim's provided help, but Drew has done the hard work and distilled all of the sources into one consistent voice. This, for me, makes the book incredible easy to pick up and learn from.

If you're wanting to improve your Vim skills, this book comes highly recommended.

p.s. I found myself dipping into the book far more often when I had the paper version sitting on my desk, versus the eBook.

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO BLACK 3x1 (3 way input 1 output HDMI Switcher)
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget to buy an extra cable, 19 April 2012
Works fine, though didn't think to order another cable. Your current devices plug into the switcher, but you need another cable to go from the switcher to your TV. Duh!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great present for me... my daughter, 23 Mar. 2012
I bought this to give my two year old daughter an instrument to play with, without having to worry about it being damaged. This is much less annoying than a tin whistle!

Although it's for my daughter, I've spent quite a few nights plinking away on it. It's of higher build quality than I expected (for the price) and despite it initially detuning itself quite quickly, that has settled down after a few 'sessions'.

Ideal for someone wanting to learn an instrument (the uke seems easy to make nice noises with, a real feeling of progress) or for a son/daughter to introduce them to musical instruments.

I'm pretty impressed. I may upgrade the strings at some point, though that would imply that it's mine and not hers ;)

Samsung ML-1865 Black Mono Laser Printer
Samsung ML-1865 Black Mono Laser Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, pretty printer, toner cartridge prices worry me though, 8 Feb. 2012
I paid £39 through Amazon. Print quality is good, start up time is good, silent when idle, bit clunky when it's going but that's no big deal. No USB cable (expected).

The price of toner cartridges for this printer are worryingly high, but I guess that's why the printer is so cheap.

Ricoh LC-1†Lens Cap Scissors
Ricoh LC-1†Lens Cap Scissors

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal to replace the LX3 lens cap, 7 Feb. 2012
With a bit of care this lens can be squished onto the LX3. With a little bit of foam tape on the insides, the LX3 extend/retract action of the lens will open and close this lens cap. Much handier than the standard lens cap. Worked a treat for me.

Ilford FP4+ 120 Black and White Roll Film
Ilford FP4+ 120 Black and White Roll Film

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived quickly in considered packaging, 7 Feb. 2012
Buying this product from Camulet directly (through their website) incurs a delivery charge of around £4. Buying from Camulet through Amazon disappears that fee (if you choose 'slow' Supersaver delivery). This 'slow' delivery, happened to be next day which was fine with me. With the money I saved, I bought another roll of film. Hooray.

Reviews of the film itself can be found elsewhere. I use it because it's (relatively) cheap, easy to develop (higher tolerances for newbies like me) and high enough quality for me.

The Electric Sky
The Electric Sky

3.0 out of 5 stars Presentation of Kindle version, 10 May 2011
This review is from: The Electric Sky (Kindle Edition)
Just a little heads up. This book doesn't appear to be designed as a Kindle book. For example, it is missing a table of contents and some new chapters start mid-page. That said, it is readable, just not very polished.

Note, my rating and this review are based solely on the look and feel as I'm still reading the book. If you want reviews of the contents of this book, you should look elsewhere!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 11:51 PM BST