Profile for Emmster > Reviews

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-29
Quadrant 900x900mm Stone Easy Plumb Shower Enclosure Tray with Legs & Panel
Quadrant 900x900mm Stone Easy Plumb Shower Enclosure Tray with Legs & Panel
Offered by iBathUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money - with one minor quibble., 7 Dec. 2013
This is a great shower base. It is nice and solid and, with the feet kit, was just the job for my first floor shower.

When screwing the feet to the base I was a bit nervous because:
a) the screws were small
b) there were no markings (on reflection you do need to think about where the pipe-work may be located and so markings might cause more trouble than they solve)
c) the feet seemed quite tall i.e. I was having visions of the kids jumping up and down and the whole thing collapsing (in the end this was good because our house is quite old and having a goodly amount of level adjustment came in handy).

After siliconing the thing (with an entire tube) to the wall - it was rock solid and stood the test of me (16 stone) jumping around on it.

The only thing that narked me a little was that the drain on the base I got wasn't positioned as per the piccy (mine was on the radius edge) and was probably about twice the size. There's no functional issue; I just think, when buying something largely based on a picture, an effort should be made to ensure what you see is what you get.
After consultation with my 'interior designer' (wife) it was concluded that it was a perfectly reasonable location for a drain and there was no issue (phew!).

In addition I bought a 900x900mm enclosure that I fitted onto this base. It is also a well made, good value product that I'm chuffed to bits with.

Considering the prices I was seeing/being quoted I'm extremely happy with the value for money aspect. For some reason I was really nervous ordering this over the web (normally i'm not bothered) but it worked out really well. I thought I was looking at somewhere between £600-£1000 for a base+enclosure (based on showroom catalogue prices). I got the pair of these for £216 and can't believe that the more expensive units could give me £400-£800's extra quality...unless they're gold plated (which the wife says wouldn't 'go' in our bathroom anyway).

It's been in and working now for a few weeks with no problems. Happy days.

[Edit 15-Mar-2014] Thought I'd stop by and say this item is still in perfect working order. It's been used every day since I installed it, has had various things (admittedly plastic) dropped on it, kids jumping around in it and my heavy-weight frame too...and it still looks like new.

sourcingmap® 25 Pcs Anti Dust Black Soft Plastic Dock Cover Micro USB Port Dustproof Cover
Offered by Ascot City

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best fit..., 30 Oct. 2013
Unlike the other reviewer (Mac9587) - I did get my twenty items from Hong Kong. I bought them to plug the micro usb port on my Samsung Galaxy S II because moisture gets in there when I go running - causing all kinds of mayhem with the phone operation.

The plugs do fit and cover the port but the fit isn't particularly snug and they can fall out. It won't matter for me because (when running) my phone will be in a pouch and that will hold the plug in - but if there was no support and you were walking around with the phone (assuming your using them for a phone of course!) then I think you'll lose a few.

To be fair the plugs are made for a generic port that's perpendicular to the case of the device i.e. something like |- (where - is the port and | is the case of the device) whereas on my phone the case is slanted where the port is, like: \-

I do think they should be made from a more rubberised material though...they're too plasticy to really grip the port well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., 26 Sept. 2013
I've tried quite a few ergo mice over the years: the Evoluent VerticalMouse 3 Wireless - Right Handed, Ceratech Accuratus Upright Mouse - Mouse - optical - wired - USB - silver, soft black, the WOW PEN.JOY BLACK and 3M Optical USB Ergonomic Mouse, Wired, 3 Buttons, Large

I got my first wired DXT a couple of years ago. It took a little getting used to because - like all ergo-mice - its shape is markedly different to run-of-the-mill mice.
But, once acclimatised, I found it to be the mouse I'd always been looking for, in that it prevented my wrist/arm-ache after long sessions with the computer (I'm a software engineer). The mouse is shaped and designed so that there is no difference in the mouse if used with the left or right hands. After a couple of months use I became ambidextrous with it and have even switched to preferring my left hand to my right (I am left-handed but always used the mouse in my right hand previously).

This wireless version is the same size/shaped mouse as the wired - without the wire! As such its the natural successor to my first model and I'm finding it just as excellent. When switching from left to right hand the wire could - if not cautious - become entangled with other things on the desk; cups of coffee being a particular hazard.

All the features of the previous model (my review of it is at http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2JKG1B3MXQHW4/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003ZK73WK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=) are present: the button that switches the mouse from left to right handed, the button that cycles through the mouse sensitivity (500 - 2000 dpi in steps of 500), the nice soft buttons and the smooth mousewheel.

When you pick it up there is no doubt it is a quality product. The casing is plastic, the base is metal and screwed to the case (with tiny screws) not clipped. If feels solid and well made.

I'm absolutely loving it and would recommend it to anyone in the market for such a device.

Update (5-Jul-2015 - after 3 years solid use): Still got this mouse, it still works and still use it every day (I work in IT). It's battered, bruised and the anti-slip coating is wearing away where I grip it. I've de-gunked the mouse wheel several times and dropped it more than once. It works as well as first day I got it.
On another note, i've developed a strategy (to cope with the long hours at the keyboard) where I use this, a 'normal' mouse and, on occasion, a track pad. I find that by using them in a round-robin fashion and switching hands (it really does just take practice) I can stave off any aches and pains before they get a chance to set in. I wouldn't mention it except that I did (mention it) to a colleague, he started doing the same thing and has seen good results too. Your mileage may vary - but it might be something to consider if you're having problems.

Update (28-Apr-2017): Still got the mouse, still using it and it still works a treat. The exterior coating is understandably worn but i'm still getting flawless operation out of it. The battery still lasts as long as it ever did and the buttons maintain their soft and responsive feel. Over the last year i've been spending long, long hours (14/day) at the keyboard. Coupled with an egonomic keyboard, a streamlined round-robin system of alternating this mouse between hands and using it in tandem with a regular mouse (the track-pad mentioned above has been dropped!), I've managed to work these ridiculous hours without problems in my wrists/arms.

Respect for the Dead
Respect for the Dead

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid read, 10 Sept. 2013
As a first novel "Respect for the Dead" is pretty good. The plot is consistent, the characters and relationships are believable and the narrative trips along at a goodly pace; whisking you away from the protagonist's depressingly safe Mancunian existence to the unfamiliar underbelly of seedy Amsterdam.

I thought the violence was well written, as was the erotic scene; in both cases neither over-cooked or overly gratuitous. The descriptions of Amsterdam's nocturnal denizens were certainly authentic enough for my hazy memories! I cared enough about Roger and his plight to be drawn into the story and thereby compelled to finish the book.

There were a couple of scenes that I thought added little in terms of plot or character development. I was also expecting an enormous plot twist somewhere involving the neighbour - due to misinterpreting some description in the first half of the novel - but didn't get it.

All in all it was a very enjoyable read and I'd definitely give any later works a go if they are forthcoming.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does two cups of leaf tea, 26 July 2013
A really good little tea pot with built in strainer that ensures your leaf tea won't stew - assuming you remember to take it (the strainer) out!
It has a nice solid construction and the lid, although thin, is well secured to the porcelain.

It's easy to clean - there being no difficult recesses that collect gunk - and it makes about two mugs of tea or several smaller cups; just right if you're a two-cups-in-the-morning person.

[Edit: About a year later] The pot is still going strong. I've made tea, bashed it about and put it in the dishwasher for a whole year now - and it's still good as new. Still really pleased with it.

AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable 3 m / 9.8 Feet
AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable 3 m / 9.8 Feet

5.0 out of 5 stars All good technically...factoring in the price - I love it., 9 Jun. 2013
I use this to connect my Raspberry Pi (HDMI end) to a Dell DVI capable monitor. Also a Dell Latitude laptop to the same monitor. It works without doing more than simply plugging things in. Short of giving them away - I couldn't be happier.

Definitely recommended.

LEGO City 60018: Cement Mixer
LEGO City 60018: Cement Mixer
Offered by trade-sales-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars More educational than you think..., 9 Jun. 2013
There's another reviewer that mentioned the Concrete Mixer will come apart if played with "robustly". My son does this with the mixer and I it does the same thing. Whilst this is a feature of the mixer - I don't mind because:

a) it is helping to teach my son that being gentle with toys is beneficial.
b) it is helping him learn to rebuild his own LEGO toys (thus feeding his creativity and saving me the job!)

The mixer is good; the mixing barrel can be tilted, the chute moved both horizontally/vertically and there are lots of tiny grey circular pieces representing the concrete. The roof of the cab is easily detachable in one piece and the additional mini-figure with the wheelbarrow is a nice touch.

Overall this is a worthy addition to my son's collection and, as with all his LEGO, its a major part of his current playtime.

Something else - my son is 4 (a little young for this particular item if you go by the guidelines) and loves it. His cousin is 10 yet admired and played with it during a recent visit. He's now asked for one for his birthday. Seems like it's a good age-spanning item.

Definitely recommended if you've got a little LEGO lover in the house.

Belkin Neoprene Dualfit Armband for Samsung Galaxy S2 in Black
Belkin Neoprene Dualfit Armband for Samsung Galaxy S2 in Black
Offered by MarkdownElectricals

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I jog..., 24 Feb. 2013
I bought this to house my Samsung galaxy s2 whilst going out running. It's brilliant. I wear it on my forearm rather than the 'traditional' upper arm, because I find it easier to operate the phone from there.

Some other reviewers mentioned that the strap was quite short - I've got to say that i've not had the same problem, even on my upper arm - and I was recently told by a nurse taking blood that my arms were 'chunky'. There are two slots that the strap can go through and I can't help but think some of the reviewers were perhaps trying to thread the strap through both.

My Samsung is a tight fit in the pouch and there can be unintentional adjustment of the volume when bending down to do up my shoes (this may be a factor of me wearing it on my forearm) - but that's only happened a couple of times and i'd rather that than the phone rattling about in the pouch.

I went out running and got caught in a freak, short-lived snow storm the other day - the phone came out completely dry and was well protected.

This thing has made such a difference to me running with the phone - I completely forget I'm wearing it and can get into the run more than previously when I was simply holding it.

I'd highly recommend it.

Nutley's 50 x 80cm Large Hessian Potato and Vegetable Sack
Nutley's 50 x 80cm Large Hessian Potato and Vegetable Sack

4.0 out of 5 stars They're large and hessian..., 24 Feb. 2013
All good, i.e. they are what they say they are. I bought these to paint on, thus turning them into personalised Santa gift sacks. They're nice and strong and will hold your potatoes/veg/pressies perfectly adequately.

The four star rating is just because I could never say "I love it" about a hessian sack! Perfectly good product though - i'd definitely recommend them.

Dormy Office Drywipe Starter Kit of Drywipe Eraser and 100ml Cleaner and 4 Whiteboard Markers Assorted

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good..., 24 Feb. 2013
I bought these to go with my dry-wipe whiteboard in my home-office.

Obviously the kids have drawn more with them in four weeks than I ever will in my remaining life-span!
None of them [the pens] has run out and none of the nibs have busted due to the heavy-handed creativity that only youngsters can inflict.

The board eraser and the cleaning fluid also work - although I would say a) the cleaning fluid isn't really needed (yet!) - as the board eraser just wipes the pen straight off the board, and b) when you do use the cleaning fluid - use kitchen roll/toilet tissue to wipe the board. Using the eraser will just smear the pen over the board and then you'll need to get the tissue anyway (because the eraser will be full of cleaning fluid)

So, all good and value for money. I've given four stars only because I can't get "I love it" excited over some pens and an eraser. It's a great product that i'd definitely recommend if you're in the market.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-29