Profile for E. Hanson > Reviews

Content by E. Hanson

E. Hanson

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sept. 2015
Really pleased with my purchase. Fast delivery and bed is so comfortable. A+++++

Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
by Martha Swift

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally Disappointed With This Book, 26 Sept. 2010
I bought this book as Im trying to start a cake making cupcake type business and thought I would get a lot better results than just trying online recipes.

As well as buying this book I also bought a brand new digital scales, muffin tin and top quality ingredients as suggested in the book to ensure I would get the best results.

For the vanilla cupcake recipe I followed everything to the letter and when the cupcakes came out of the oven they looked really professional and I couldn't wait to dive in.

Unfortunately when I tried the cupcakes the sides were kind of crunchy and the cake itself was quite firm or stiff although I would not go so far as to say it was hard but it certainly was not light and fluffy like you would expect it to be. Anyway I was totally disappointed in the results especially after going through all the hassle of making it the totally unecessary way the book suggests.

I sent the cakes out to a party and most of them came back. Only one or two were eaten. The problem is that the majority or the cakes in the book call for the vanilla cupcake recipe and since that got bad results there is no point in trying them.

Also while I was having a look around a cake making discussion group they were talking about recipes from books and the vanilla cupcake recipe from this book was one of the least rated because the cakes were almost hard so I know its not just in my mind.

I have since found an excellent and free recipe from a lady that does cupcake classes. The site is called faircake if you Google it you will find it. There are some great free recipes on there that beat the ones in this book hands down.

Another part if the book I was disappointed in was the decorating. There are very detailed instructions with photos on how to ice a cup cake but nothing beyond that like piping for instance. There is a page on decorations but its all common sense obvious type stuff like using your imagination.

I also tried the vanilla layer cake which incindetally turned out very well and I was going to give it 3 stars because of that but actully I bought a book on cupcakes which did not turn out well so I think the 2 stars in justified.

Overall I would not recommend this book I would stick to printing out online recipes.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 1:30 AM GMT

The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything
The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything
by Robert H Frank

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 7 Oct. 2008
Although some of the reviewers studied economics I did not. I have an interest in economics in general. To put it simply this book is pointless and boring. I purchased this at the airport for my travels and soon became bored after the 1st couple of chapters, I continued on and it became even more boring, annoying and then frustration began.

There is such a huge build up to the questions in each chapter discussing enconomic principles with a lot of economic jargon and then the majority of the questions are just pointless, eg why are hotel mini bars so expensive ? Thats plainly obvious. Why do 24hr shops have locks on them ? again obvious, why do women endure the discomfort of high heels ?

I read through the questions hoping to find a different and alternative answer than the one I had in mind but this didn't happen.

There is nothing wrong with the questions as such some of them could make for interesting discussions with family or friends but they shouldn't form the basis of a book on economics. Also a lot of the answers I disagreed with, not that Im an economist myself its just that he did not seem to back up his answers with any expertise, it seemed the answers came from his opinion or assumption and thats where the book becomes annoying.

All in all this was a waste of money.

Make Serious Money On Ebay: The Bestselling Guide to Buying and Selling on EBay - and Beyond
by Dan Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars A lazy cash in., 19 Jan. 2008
To put it simply this book is lazy. As an experienced seller it was promised that there would be something in here for me, in fact if you have a feedback score of 5 or more there is nothing in here for you at the very least you will find much better info on ebays community boards. If you have never logged onto ebay or are having difficulty using the site then I can see how this book might be of use. What the majority of this book is, is a summary of ebay's help pages thats it !!! also the whole way through all it does is state the bloody obvious Page 115 for example under the heading "Price" he states this is the minimum price you are willing to sell your item for ? Another example "If you choose will post worldwide your item will be available to ebay members all over the world".Well no s**t sherlock
Another problem with this book is his impartiality to ebay, even though he says he doesnt work for them anymore he questions anybodys integrity who has a bad word to say about them, and he loves pay pal so much surely he must be on comission.
There are no decent links in this book as another reviewer pointed out. Throughout the book its just links to ebay and if its not he tells you to search google, as well as that there is no index in the back either.
The only person who will be making serious money is Dan Wilson with this ridiculous book.
If you want a good book on ebay then a far better choice would be Robert Pugh's ebay business handbook where there is a wealth of knowledge and tips that you wont find on ebay itself.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 9:05 AM BST