Profile for spikeymike > Reviews

Kitchen Sink Strainer
Offered by The Home Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, low price, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Kitchen Sink Strainer
Good quality, low price, quick delivery.

Langlais: Messe Solennelle (Eton College Chapel Choir/Ralph Allwood)
Langlais: Messe Solennelle (Eton College Chapel Choir/Ralph Allwood)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2014
Good price. Fast delivery no

Wireless Cordless Ding Dong Door Bell Real Wood Walnut
Wireless Cordless Ding Dong Door Bell Real Wood Walnut
Offered by Cheerful Bargains Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item - worth the money, 31 May 2014
Straight out of the box it was as dead as a dodo - so had to do some resetting of the internal switches (although I would have thought they could be properly set when it leaves the factory rather than the customer having to mess about doing it). So after some tinkering with it, finally it works! Good loud "ding-dong", and sounds so much better than those awful digitalised bells playing 'God save the Queen' or 'White Christmas'. Looks nice too in a traditional setting.

Samsung DVD-E360 DVD Player with USB Host 2.0
Samsung DVD-E360 DVD Player with USB Host 2.0
Offered by Retail-ABC Ltd - COURIER ISSUES - EXPECT SLIGHT DELAYS

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, 23 Jan. 2014
Nice compact size (had to get rid of my last DVD player, which was still in perfect working order, because it was too large to fit into a new TV unit.
Does everything you would expect - including a very useful USB slot - and it plays AVI movie files very well - as well as mp3, jpegs etc.
The mechanism is somewhat loud when playing DVDs -don't know why it cant be silent (my previous Toshiba was silent) but its not particularly intrusive - and certainly I think that some other reviewers have exaggerated this . . . one saying it was like a tractor (!) well, it would be a remarkably quiet tractor!
Main minus point for me is the too small remote. Because its so small it doesn't really have enough keys (and each key button is tiny) - and many functions, such as zoom and subtitles, go under the heading of 'tools' - which means 2 or 3 key-presses to get at what you want. Very useful if you have tiny hands (like a 3 years old?) but for the average adult - too small for ease of use. Can't think why they made it so small . . . and no batteries for the remote? Bit penny-pinching! You will need 2 AAA batteries.
But basically, for just under 30 quid its OK.
Easy to convert to multi-region (instructions in another review of this product by someone else).

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch (Black, Wi-Fi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch (Black, Wi-Fi)
Offered by WEST GREEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good 'upgrade' on the 7", 8 Jan. 2014
I bought one of these just after Christmas as an upgrade on the Samsung Tablet 7" (when the price was briefly so low that it was an offer I simply couldn't refuse!)
The 8" is far superior. The old adage "size matters" really is true - the extra inch makes a big difference - the screen is also sharper and a better quality picture. Sound is better too. Processor is more powerful - so it runs faster. Has a larger internal storage (16GB as opposed to 8GB for the 7") and will take an SD card up to 64GB for extra storage (the 7" will take up to 32GB). Camera is higher spec. Battery life seems about the same.
Amazingly the overall size of the 8" Tablet is very little different - the width is identical to the 7" (so it still slips easily into my pocket), the height just 22mm longer (less than an inch. The weight is less by 14 gms (half an ounce).
So, I am glad I made the change. I don't often give 5 stars - but for this I will make an exception.

TomTom Start 25 M Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps & Lifetime Map Updates
TomTom Start 25 M Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps & Lifetime Map Updates

4.0 out of 5 stars Life-time maps make this a good deal, 22 Dec. 2013
After a year with my old TomTom 20 I was increasingly finding that the maps were becoming outdated.
I had a choice - for £75 I could download a set of new maps - or for £99 I could buy a new TomTom 25 (larger screen) with lifetime maps. So I now have a brand-new TomTom 25: it was relatively easy to connect it to my computer and download the latest maps (Western Europe including UK) and now for as long as this device lasts I can keep it up to date with no additional cost.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Offered by ULTIMATE PHONESHOP

3.0 out of 5 stars Marred by poor battery perfomance, 26 Sept. 2013
An excellent tablet in every respect but one - the battery. If you are intending to use this as a replacement for a kindle, then be aware that reading a book will give you a couple of hours use. Watching a video - about the same. Even setting the screen to the dimmest possible level does not significantly improve things.
So if (like me) you were hoping to use it throughout a long-haul flight (as I do my kindle) you can forget it.
What a pity that while technology leaps ahead, batteries lag so very far behind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 4:50 PM GMT

Intex Ultra Plush Airbed with Built In Electric Pump (67952)
Intex Ultra Plush Airbed with Built In Electric Pump (67952)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not perfect, 3 Sept. 2013
Inflates and deflates easily and is comfortable to sleep on it.
My only niggle is that each morning it needed a small inflation, as it has lost air during the night. Not a large amount - but nevertheless surely it must be possible to design an airbed which will hold the air 100% - and not (as I would estimate) with a 5% to 10% loss of pressure overnight. It is no great effort to re-inflate, but it irritates me that it is necessary in a brand new piece of equipment.

Brother MFC J6510DW - Multifunction ( fax / copier / printer / scanner )
Brother MFC J6510DW - Multifunction ( fax / copier / printer / scanner )

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems OK to me, 14 Jun. 2013
I would say this is more of an small office machine than for home use - as it is pretty heavy and bulky. Even to lift it from the box was a bit of a struggle - and the handbook does say that moving it is a 2 man job. However, as I am using it in a home office, where space isn't really an issue, that is fine.

I would guess that it is quite an old design- as a lot of the handbook is about setting it up to send an receive Faxes. 15 or 20 years ago I used Faxes all the time - even had a separate phone line for the Fax machine. But it must be well over 10 years since I last sent or received a Fax. I now scan a document and attach it to an email as a pdf. Those fuzzy faxes are a relic of the past. So 50% of the buttons on the fascia of the machine are surplus to requirements - as they relate to Fax functions, and to the storing of telephone numbers for Faxes.

I do use the scanner a good deal (and it works well) and with the scanner I often use OCR. My last printer (a Dell) came with an excellent free OCR programme. This Brother machine doesn't come with one. However the Dell OCR works OK with it. The supplied software that does come with this printer doesn't seem very useful and I cant see myself using any of it - whereas an OCR programme would have been welcome.

The printer is fine, and it is good to be able to use A3 size (which is the main reason I bought it) - and I can see that it is much more economical in ink usage than was the Dell it has replaced. I have had a few paper jams (looking at reviews that seems to be a common experience) but it doesnt take too long to clear them. Although when it jams it does so in style - not just feeding 2 sheets at a time, but on one occasion a bundle of 12! And before you ask - it was paper freshly out of a new packet - and duly 'fanned' before placing it into the tray.

All in all (although admittedly only after 2 or 3 days use) it seems pretty much OK. I wouldn't be inclined to give it 5* (which to me indicates perfection, which it isn't) but 4* seems reasonable and realistic.

The Holy Bible (The Definitive Revised English Version) Complete Old Testament and New Testament (ILLUSTRATED) (The Bible for Kindle / The Kindle Bible)

3.0 out of 5 stars Revised Version?? No it isn't. It's the ASV, 1 Feb. 2013
This is NOT the 'English' Revised version (English meaning nationality not language) It is in fact the ASV - the American Standard version.

The RV of the Bible was published in England in the 1880s.
The ASV was published in the USA in 1901.

One quick way to spot to difference:
The English "Revised Version" refers in the OT to "The Lord God".
The American Standard version (which is what you have in this Kindle edition) refers to "Jehovah God".

It is important to note that neither the RV nor the ASV is the genuine King James version. Both are Victorian revisions of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3