Profile for glitterheart > Reviews

glitterheart "pianohands" (Spain)

Damage Control
Damage Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book - But 'What About Poor Max???!', 28 May 2015
This review is from: Damage Control (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this, the second Dugoni Kindle book I've read so far. The first Tracy Crosswhite book led me to Damage Control. Great story-telling, keeps you turning the pages, interesting narrative surprises, and I liked the characters, the good ones, and disliked the nasty characters, so all's well in this world of crime. One thing which bothered me to the end, and was never solved, and infuriated me throughout the book - what happened to Dana and Grant's Golden Retriever Max??? He's mentioned as 'their' dog at the beginning of Chapter Four then is never referred to again. Did Grant keep him and look after him - I doubt it as he's such a flaky character; did Dana take him with her when she sensibly opted for a romantic idyll elsewhere - nope again, she was more interested in adopting another dog and a cat at the end of the book. Good for her but by this time I was actually shouting at Dugoni - "What about poor Max???". Come on RD, tell us what became of this unfortunate unloved dog. His disappearance and the protagonists' lack of concern for him made me slightly unwarm to Dana Hill, I'm afraid. Apart from that 'continuity glitch', the book's great, recommended to those who like their crime and mystery novels gripping.

Wooditton Wives Club
Wooditton Wives Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodditton Wonders, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wooditton Wives Club (Audio CD)
A truly lovely album, great songs and performances, not a sign of an autotuner anywhere, a natural talent, beautifully arranged, tasteful accompaniments, witty lyrics. Highly recommended.

Magical Mystery Tour [DVD] [2012]
Magical Mystery Tour [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ The Beatles

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavens above, I really rather enjoyed it!, 30 Oct. 2012
Had an hour to kill, and just watched MMT. Expecting to feel like switching off after ten minutes but surprised to find I actually rather liked it. Being just an hour long was a real plus, it kept things tighter than they might have been had they had a two hour long film to make. I loved John's surreal voiceover sounding slightly speeded up (apt!) and it all hung together much better than I had expected it to. It was fun, it had some great songs in it, there were a few nice Milliganesque moments, and all in all it was all rather jolly. Time has actually been kind to it. I think we have got used to seeing in retrospect a lot of the early to mid-`60s surreal stuff Milligan, Sellers and Sykes did, and because Python came along after MMT (and it has to be said partly due to MMT) and other silly stuff like Little Britain, AbFab etc, we are more used to letting our belief be suspended and sit back while people get silly for our amusement.
My preconceptions were based on what I saw in 1967 in B & W (and what I had anticipated that Boxing Day of 1967, it has to be said!) and a few brief bits I've watched since. But put all together as a complete breezy 60 minutes of British Comic Pop Surreality of the `60s, it had some good moments...The surreal bits worked well, the funny bits were actually amusing, and the songs sounded great (remixed and remastered by Giles Martin). The things I found plain daft before, like the magicians' scenes, this time made me smile affectionately, and John's occasional bits of acting were actually very nice. He appeared less than the others, some scenes not featuring him at all, even some of the group scenes, so maybe he was off having a quick blast during some of the filming. His little scene with Nichola on the bus with the balloon was really cute, John had a lovely way about him and one could see why people were fond of him for all his faults.

And the one thing I expected to be appalling, the editing, was rather good and tight too. Scenes moved from and into each other very smoothly. And in a 1967 psychedelic kind of way, it all even made sense. I feel quite elated actually. I was expecting a trudge up Boredom hill, and found I was inhabiting Jollity Farm instead. And yes, Death Cab For Cutie is fab.

My `67 Rating: 2 out of 5
My 2012 Rating: 4 out of 5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 1:14 PM GMT

Braun Oral-B S185252 Sonic Complete Rechargeable Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B S185252 Sonic Complete Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Toothbrush, 1 Jun. 2011
I have to say this is the best electric toothbrush I have had. Not cheap but worth the money. "You get what you pay for!"

The London Book of the Dead
The London Book of the Dead
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars An Antique Beat For Forgotten Genius, 9 Oct. 2008
I was introduced to this album by a friend and bless the day I heard it for the first time. The use of samples can be a tricky thing and sometimes overwhelms, but in London Book Of The Dead RTW utilises the carefully chosen and woven samples with care and affection and musical 'nouse'. It adds to the rainy day atmosphere perfectly. We are taken through a world of nostalgia, love and regret with the planning and precision a tour guide would weave one through the streets of London, and it is a journey well worth the fee. My absolute favourites (hard to pick any as they are all standout tracks) are Decline & Fall of The Clerkenwell Kid with its filmic sonic landscape, It's A Wonderful Li(f)e, Dorothy Parker Blue - my absolute fave, a superbly moving tribute containing the fabulous line 'Dorothy Parker knew the alchemy of ink and booze' -, The Sweetest Songs, Last Words and Bringing The Body Back Home. At times the vocals reminded me of Prefab Sprout/Dream Academy, I can hear a slight vocal nod to Ray Davies in I Loved London and the Cole Porter pastiche of Kix is extremely cute, but comparisons are odorous, to quote Dogberry. This is a unique album by a unique talent, one who understands musicality, structure, tone and atmosphere. I have no hesitation in awarding it five stars.