Profile for Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin > Reviews

Content by Dr. Nicholas L...

Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Faringdon 45cm Wooden Jam Spoon
Faringdon 45cm Wooden Jam Spoon
Offered by BuzzBase

5.0 out of 5 stars A long spoon is safer, 4 Aug. 2011
It's hard to know how to review a wooden spoon! The product is of good length although I would have preferred a slightly larger bowl and thicker shaft. It has sufficient length to enable a pan of boiling jam to be stirred from a safe distance and although I have not yet tried it, I plan to use it when making Polenta and escape the eruptions that often occur as it thickens. I cannot find a reason not to recommend this to anyone wanting a long wooden spoon at a very reasonable price.

Lodge Outdoor / Camp Dutch Oven Lid Stand
Lodge Outdoor / Camp Dutch Oven Lid Stand

3.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap at the price, 4 Aug. 2011
I bought this to go with a Dutch Oven. It arrived promptly and well packed. It is well designed and functional. That said, it is not cheap for what it is. It is a fact of life that many manufacturers sell a main product cheaply but charge through the nose for spares or accessories. This stand costs about 25% of the price of the Dutch Oven that it is designed to support. I am pleased with it because the Dutch Oven and tripod that I bought to go with it now reside in the same open grate where earlier generations cooked with similar equipment. For me it has an ornamental function - at least until fossil fuels run out! However, for someone seeking a Dutch Oven for occasional open air cooking it is possible that this stand could be replaced with a few bricks or stones.

Cooking the Dutch Oven Way, 3rd (Cookbooks)
Cooking the Dutch Oven Way, 3rd (Cookbooks)
by Woody Woodruff

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 1 Aug. 2011
Despite reading two highly favourable reviews, I must say that I was most disappointed when I received this book. I was expecting to find a lot of information about making fires and handling the oven but only four pages are devoted to this. This is followed by some 160 pages of recipes. The book was written in the USA and may be useful to people planning a backwoodsman style vacation. The recipes presuppose a knowledge of US style ingredients and US measurements. I had hoped for a book that would give lots of hints about using the oven so as to be able to adapt my recipes to it, rather than to be given what, for me, is little more than a recipe book for would be backwoodsmen.

Medipaq® Long Wrist Protect Heat Proof Gloves (1x PAIR) - Hold hot dishes safely STRAIGHT from the OVEN , no more burning your WRISTS!
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 1 Aug. 2011
The pair of gloves arrived promptly and adequately packed. The colour is great, it not only matches a lot of my cookware, but their bright orange makes the gloves easy to find. They don't have loops for hanging, but for me that is not a problem. They are easy to put on and far easier to use that mitts. I am satisfied that they give good heat protection including the wrists. I cook on gas, wood, or charcoal, mostly in copper or cast iron. I can access heavy items at the back of the fire without worry and the heat protection lasts long enough to move things around. I have not found them slippery, a problem I've had with some other products. The gloves cannot be expected to give protection if they are wet, but to keep them dry and to handle hot heavy cookware safely is a matter of common sense. I don't know how long they will last, only time will tell. The gloves are just what I wanted and I use them every day.

Fruit (River Cottage Handbook No. 9)
Fruit (River Cottage Handbook No. 9)
by Mark Diacono

3.0 out of 5 stars Fruit for thought?, 1 Aug. 2011
I have purchased all the River Cottage handbooks. For me, personally, this was somewhat of a disappointment but that doesn't mean that it would be for other readers. I find it light on detailed growing techniques for the various fruits and also on preservation and storage techniques. Again, this is a personal view. I do not think that it is the most helpful of books for someone planning to grow their own fruit - as I have done for many many years. That said, one is never too old to learn and on browsing through the book I have found some new ideas and fresh slants on things. I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am saying it may not be the only book that you need if you want to learn about growing your own fruit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2011 4:27 PM BST

The Legendary Magic Oven Glove Hot Surface Handler (PAIR) - Cook, Adjust, Repair & Work Safely with the glove that can withstand temperatures of up to 540°F

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful on a hot stove, 1 Aug. 2011
The pair of gloves arrived promptly and well packaged. I cook on gas, charcoal or wood and use mostly cast iron or copper pans with cast iron handles. These handles can be somewhat slippery and a copper pan filled with hot liquid must be treated carefully. This product has an excellent grip on such handles and gives me a good sense of security. The only problem that I find with this item is although meant for all sizes, I find it hard to put on quickly although my hands are relatively small. Maybe this minor problem will go away with more use. That said, I am 100% pleased with the item.

Addendum - 21 August 2012.
I have now used these gloves for over a year on an almost daily basis. They have now stretched and are easy to put on. They are not foolproof - one cannot take a hot cast iron dish out of the oven and hold on to it indefinitely but certainly long enough to put it somewhere safe. For me, they have more than earned their keep and my other kitchen gloves are seldom if ever used - except when I need ones with gauntlets.

July 1st 2013. After what is now two years of use, these remain my most trusted gloves.

Axis chrome 5 Tier Pan Stand
Axis chrome 5 Tier Pan Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but good, 10 Jun. 2011
Axis, 5 Tier Pan Stand (Fully Assembled)

This item arrived promptly fully assembled and well packed. Of modern design it is an elegant addition to my kitchen. Being stainless steel it should last for years. The distance between each tier is generous and allows for easy access for a standard set of pans. It is not the cheapest but I see it as good value for money and a worthy companion to a vegetable rack by the same company.

Le Creuset Silicone Spoon Spatula, Volcanic
Le Creuset Silicone Spoon Spatula, Volcanic

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too flexible, 10 Jun. 2011
It is elegant and easy to use and is flexible enough to reach into corners. This flexibility is a problem if one if trying to move some thicker material such as something sticking to - I don't mean burnt on - a pan. The leading edge of the spatula is so flexible that it rides over rather than lifts the material. Subject to this limitation, I like this item which is unlikely to scratch a non-stick or delicate lining and can withstand a greater heat that many other non-scratch plastic spatulas.

Axis Heavy Gauge Chrome Plated Steel Ready Assembled 3 Tier Vegetable Trolley 25cm x 33cm x 71.5cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and useful, 10 Jun. 2011
Prompt delivery in sturdy packaging. The item came ready assembled. It is in striking contemporay design and being stainless steel it should last for years. It is on castors so can be moved from a storage space to a work area. Another reviewer mentioned that the base of each tier had a space large enought to let smaller items such as limes or garlic fall through. I found it a simple matter to put a small coaster mat over each of these spaces. Not cheap but fully worth the money.

Jamie's Dinners
Jamie's Dinners
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Paperback)
I thought long and hard before writing this review since I treat celebrity chefs with a certain amount of suspicion. I find this a good book for anyone looking for a modern cuisine prepared with a minimum of fuss. Jamie's book has a number of useful tips about ingredients and techniques which should help anyone looking for an easy attractive and healthy diet. The book is well written and well illustrated. My criticisms centre on details. I find some recipes have more ingredients than necessary to get almost the same effect, if one is aiming at a quick meal one does not wants to spend time looking for one or another ingredient not necessarily found in an average store cupboard. Also, it would be helpful if an author that seeks to promote seasonal ingredients could indicate which recipes are best suited to a particular season of the year. Although most vegetables and fruit are now available all the year round in supermarkets, it would be helpful to suggest when home grown produce might be available at farmers' markets. Unfortunately, many modern people simply do not understand seasons. That apart, after careful reading I rate this as one of the better of Jamie's books and I expect to make use of it in the kitchen rather than in an armchair.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10