Profile for Beebee > Reviews

Magicians [DVD]
Magicians [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars The rabbit's got stuck in the hat, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Magicians [DVD] (DVD)
This film could have been so funny, but there are points where it just strays off and loses momentum. The acting is good, the concept is good, but it's just missing something. Fans of Mitchell & Webb, Peep Show and the whole Brit-com genre should give it a watch, but be prepared for the lack of sharp wit and belly laughs you'd expect from the teams involved.

Family Guy - Blue Harvest [DVD]
Family Guy - Blue Harvest [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars Really funny, 25 July 2009
Some people might say that it's a bit of a rip-off as it's just a long episode, but it's funny enough to warrant the cost. I'd recommend it to all Family Guy fans and to Star Wars fans who enjoy a clever parody.

Hat Sailor Captain cap With Peak for Navy Sea Nautical Fancy Dress Party Accessory
Offered by Fancy Dressed Party

4.0 out of 5 stars Good single use, 25 July 2009
These hats are great value for a single use (e.g. one-off night out) but they're not of the highest quality so probably won't last long as a proper toy. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone giving them to a young child as the small parts can easily be pulled off.

Book of Knots (Klutz)
Book of Knots (Klutz)
by John Cassidy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good basic introduction to the world of tying stuff together., 15 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Book of Knots (Klutz) (Paperback)
Ok, so tying knots is not rocket science. But one day you might need a knot for reasons other than keeping your shoes on and stopping your dog from getting away. Like if you were going on a boat trip, which is why I got this book.

The tough cardboard pages are a really clever idea, as you get to practice your newly-found knot expertise by threading the included strings through the little holes. My only real complaint is that the instructions and diagrams aren't always that clear so it can take you a while to work out what to do.

But all-in-all it's a clever idea and a good way to learn your knots.

Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars So boring..., 25 Feb. 2009
5 years ago Lee Evans was the hottest comedian out there. His animated and enthusiastic personality filled the stage and absorbed the audience. He reeled off observations and opinions without fault, and gained fans from across the board.
So why have I given 'Big' just 2 stars? It's simple - he is doing the same thing as before, but flatter and with much less personality. His set is over-practiced (the linear structure is uninspired) and the jokes are dull. Perhaps the clinical setup of this performance can be put down to the location - the o2 is big, echoey and perhaps a little too impersonal for stand up - but sadly when I watch this all I see is Lee Evans on a stage reciting some lines.
Stand up comedy has developed; it's become more edgy and spontaneous. This performance may be recent, but it feels like it was filmed a decade ago. The jokes rarely made me laugh, or even smile, and after just a short amount of time watching it I was bored.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars A lovely ring...if you keep it in the box, 10 Feb. 2009
This ring is very pretty but is so weak that it scratches so easily that I'm afraid to wear it when I'm doing everyday tasks like having a shower. I haven't even had it a month and it looks like I've been attacking it with coarse sandpaper. The diamonds also look like they've been set in a bit precariously, and I'm worried that they might fall out. I've tried having it polished, but to no avail. I've got another 9ct ring that's never shown damage to this extent, even after 5 years of wearing it all the time.
When my boyfriend bought it for me there were a lot of problems when he wanted to exchange it for another size; calls and emails were never returned and no answers could be found anywhere (this went on for almost a month). The only reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 is that when we finally got to talk to someone about the size they manually changed the size for no extra charge.
Avoid this item unless you're planning on wearing it for special occasions only.

Ministry Of Sound: Pump It Up - Dancemix [DVD]
Ministry Of Sound: Pump It Up - Dancemix [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars You WILL need practice, 28 Jan. 2009
This is a clever way of getting toned up, but only if you're confident that you can keep up with the moves. In my opinion it is more fast paced than the other Pump It Up DVDs, so if you're not sure that you're ready for something speedy then start yourself off with the first Pump It Up and move your way through the series. You'll also need a decent bit of space around you, as there's a lot of movement involved.
On the plus side it's good fun and has a great soundtrack, and because of this it motivates you if you're easily bored by regular exercise DVDs. This is an especially good thing, as you'll need to do it quite a few times to get the hang of it.
For all these reasons I'd recommend it, but only if you're reasonably fit to start off with.

Top Gear Anthems 2008 - Seriously Hot Driving Music
Top Gear Anthems 2008 - Seriously Hot Driving Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "seriously hot" as it says, 11 Jan. 2009
The first thing I will say about this CD is that it's not, as it states, "Seriously hot driving music". It's more "Good stuff to have playing while you're driving on a motorway music". There's loads of songs on it, split across two discs. Disc one is a compilation of newer music, and disc two is a collection of songs you'd find in your dad's vinyl box up in the loft. Not that that's a problem - I quite enjoy an opportunity to listen to The Clash and ZZ Top - it's just that it seems to be put together to catch the eye of young and old audiences without thinking whether the tracks really work together.
Anyway, it's a fairly good album and I have no complaints as it's good value for money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo Provides Yet More Perfect Gaming, 14 April 2008
I could go on about Nintendo's consistancy at providing excellent games for the Wii (I bet you can't find a single person who doesn't love Wii Sports) but since I got my console when it came out there was one thing that was teasing me - when will we get a Mario Kart? I had a big pile of other excellent games building up on my shelf, but as a Kart addict it was torture waiting for the day that it hit the shelves. So, on the morning of the 11th April, I grabbed my copy, ran home and got started.
Firstly, there's the quality of the wheel that comes with it. It's lovely - there's a real feel of chunky strength to it that you just don't get with the cheap stuff that's already out there. Admittedly it takes a while to get used to the controls (you'll know what I mean if you've played Sonic Rings), but when you do it just feels spot on.
Then there's the game itself. Playing alone against the console is a lot better than some people are saying; the players are sneaky and quick, especially on the harder levels. There's the challenge of learning how to control the different vehicles (each character has loads to choose from - including motorbikes) and working out how to combat the range of course terrains. The courses are varied and interesting, and as usual there's a few mind-bogglingly tricky ones.
When you play using the Nintendo WFC connection the game takes on a whole new level; the gameplay is flawless with no lag whatsoever, the challenge of playing real contenders gives you a real determination to win, and it's just plain fun!
The graphics are good, but not as good as Super Mario Galaxy. The sound is also good, albeit a bit synthetic (again, something which has been outshone by the real orchestra used by Galaxy). But these things do not matter, once you get playing. You will play and play and play, and I can't imagine EVER getting tired of it. And that's the honest truth.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest film of all time, 13 Feb. 2006
You're probably looking at the title of my review and gasping with disbelief - "surely not THE greatest?".
However I'm totally serious; this is the most brilliant movie I have ever seen. The story is truly hilarious, the in-your-face blasphemy is perfectly executed and it is pure genius how the crazy songs fit with the crude animation. The satirical jokes, sight gags and political messages go together hand in hand to create real perfection.
You will never, ever see a movie made like this again. Not only because it would probably be banned before it came out, but because it is just plain impossible to rival it.
I could watch it again and again without getting tired of it. I love this film, and would recommend it to ANYONE.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4