Profile for Taychelle > Reviews

Content by Taychelle

Taychelle "Fulton" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Flower Dance: Japanese Folk Melodies
Flower Dance: Japanese Folk Melodies

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem., 6 Jun. 2013
I have many collections of Japanese folk music, so was a little worried that I would be getting just more of the same. The sound bites on the product listeing clips hinted at something more, so I took the plunge. I am very glad I did.
It's a good selection of tunes, performed well and with alot of atmosphere.
The only disappointing feature is the cover notes, which provide a little detail about the tunes, but no information about the performers or instruments. That said, these are re-issues of 1960's recordings, so I can't blame the re-issuer if they were only repeating what appeared on the original album notes.
In short, I'd recommend this to newcomers and experienced listerns of Oriental music.

Malpensa
Malpensa

3.0 out of 5 stars From a long-term fan!, 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Malpensa (Audio CD)
Through 20 albums I have delighted at the music of the cruelly (in the UK) under-known Nits. There have been albums I've loved and ones which I less often listen to, but always there has been their earnest attempts to craft songs with imagination and a love for what they do. Admittedly recently (certainly the last 2 albums), this has meant that sometimes songs have a 'Nits sound' which is both defining and yet restrictive. In this albums sense, it offers a good collection of songs, but nothing progressive or new. In fact I rather feel that many of these songs could be interchangeable with any over the last 10 albums. Nice to listen to but nothing to surprise!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 1:18 PM GMT

The Nutcracker Complete Ballet
The Nutcracker Complete Ballet
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd expect., 10 Aug. 2012
A beautifully performed redition of Tchaikovsky's enchanting ballet score and although the original recording was some 30 plus years ago, on analogue, it loses nothing in charm on being transfered to CD.

Josef Strauss Edition, Vol 24
Josef Strauss Edition, Vol 24

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you'd expect!, 10 Aug. 2012
A well performed and recorded CD. An excellent and varied selection of Josef Strauss' compositions, which work really well together, taking the listener on a delightful and enchanted journey through many sympathetic styles.

PRIMATIVE RADIO GODS - ROCKET - [CD]
PRIMATIVE RADIO GODS - ROCKET - [CD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Everybody's got one good song in them!, 27 Sept. 2011
I bought this album on the back of the single 'Standing outside a broken phone booth with money in my hand' - a fantastically original laid-back slice of loner philosophy of the 90's. Alas while the rest of the album has glimpses of potential, nothing else quite comes close to this one track. Although a band name, this really is a one-man solo record, however this shows through in the lack of variation and input of ideas that additional personnel might have contributed.

Flute Music of the American Indian
Flute Music of the American Indian

4.0 out of 5 stars At last a better review., 27 Sept. 2011
I was quite pleased when I took a gamble on this that I didn't get a CD full of chants backed by added on synth styled atmosphere. To the most part these are untampered with field recordings of native American performers. This does mean that sound quality is not that expected of a studio environment, but that just adds to the authenticity.

The recordings are split over 2 CDs. The first (40 minutes)is devoted to the songs and chants and the second (30 minutes) is the flute. Whilst both are short, this is really enough, as there is little variation in style between tracks and it actually gets a bit samey by the end. The last half of the flute CD does start to add modern background instruments (synth and guitar) but it doesn't detract from the experience.

Alas, where this collection really falls down is in the total lack of information about the culture, songs, performers, or instruments. There is absolutely no attempt to provide anything, despite the front of the CD displaying the line '20 page booklet with rare photographs' - this is a con. There are a couple of pictures (again with no contextual description) and an endless series of supposedly native American quotes.

So, musically it holds it's weight, but if you are wanting to gain a deeper understanding of this genre - look elsewhere.

In A Special Place: The Piano Demos For This Is The Sea
In A Special Place: The Piano Demos For This Is The Sea

2.0 out of 5 stars No special place for me., 27 Sept. 2011
Hmmmm. Not so sure about this, big Waterboys fan that I am.

Although it could be argued that any material uncovered is a benefit by being released, whilst listening to this I wondered what extra this really adds to the Waterboys listening experience. Yes you can hear tracks in a stripped back version, with occasionally interestingly different lyric choices, however I found that the tracks that sounded best were the ones that actually made it onto the 'This is the sea' album, and those that didn't, in this early form, just didn't really have anything special about them, (presumably why they got no further than demos). The end result was that I felt all I was paying for was this mediocre unknown material.

While I've consistently felt in the past that the extra tracks that have appeared on the re-packaged first 5 albums have been hidden gems, well worth being uncovered and brought to the public's ears, I don't share that sentiment for this collection.

Oh Little Fire
Oh Little Fire
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars A chance encounter., 20 July 2011
This review is from: Oh Little Fire (Audio CD)
Although Sarah Harmer has released a few albums before this, she had never crossed my radar until I heard 'Oh Little Fire' on a listening station in a record store. Straight away the catchy well crafted songs took my attention. Deceptively simple there's actually lot going on, lyrically and musically. A seemingly sparse background arrangement of instruments provides a well matched base to the warm tones of Sarah Harmers voice. Whether the songs are upbeat or contemplative, a generally positive atmosphere prevails. In fact, she very much reminds me of a happier Natalie Merchant, less weighty yet no less enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly all the Varttina you will need., 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: 25 (Audio CD)
Reading the BBC review of this album (attached to the item description) on Amazon I was a little hesitant about buying this. It seemed to disparage the coarse vocal styles and harmonies as different to what 'foreign ears' may find agreeable and therefore difficult to appreciate. This challenge of musical style is something that I see as a positive, after all that's why I listen to world music in the first place.

I'd heard the energetic track 'Seelinnikoi' and on the basis of that went ahead and purchased '25'.

I am so glad I took the plunge! Although 'seelinnikoi' is representative of their faster paced tracks, there is a much wider variety of styles on this disk, and though the booklet has English translations for all the songs, there is no need to understand the Finnish language as the music of Varttina transmits the emotion ably.

For the most part the start of the album focuses on the basic traditional songs and arrangements that Varttina started off their career with. This gently gives way to self-written songs with a greater range of acoustic instruments, taken from several European countries, (not purely Finland). This in turn leads to their current sound with electric bass and drum kit filling out the sound and literally propelling the music in a modern direction.

Actually on such a long CD (75 minutes) this is a major benefit and it means that the sound keeps developing and thus keeps the listener engaged. I'm quite happy to listen to it in it's entirety as there is a good range of arrangement and pace within the well chosen tracks. In effect this is a complete overview of the group (as you would hope from a career compilation) with a great collection of well crafted and presented songs, so many of which stand out and are a joy to hear over and over again.

Comet
Comet
Offered by thebookcommunity

3.0 out of 5 stars Good playing, but......., 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Comet (Audio CD)
Having an earlier 'Cordelia's Dad' album ('How can I sleep?') with it's folk/rock slant, and a later ('Spine') more fully folk sound, I was interested to see what this middle album would sound like.

Since it included a live favourite of mine 'Katy Cruel' I guessed it would be of the folk persuasion, and that is exactly what I got. Alas, after the first listen I was rather disappointed.

I know live sound and studio sound are often quite different, but still the dynamic energy seems to be missing, even in their shape-note harmonies, which live have bubbled with taught energy.

Instead, without exception, the tracks fail to lift up out their one-dimensional recording. This is not due to the skill of the players as there is great musicianship throughout, but the album is left sounding rather flat and thus lacking in the atmosphere that other albums have managed to create.

I hope subsequent listens will enable it to grow on me, however I fear I will more readily be reaching for 'Spine" if I want a folk fix.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3