Profile for Alexander Fitch > Reviews

Content by Alexander Fitch

Alexander Fitch

Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)
Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire., 25 Jan. 2015
I don't generally write reviews of things good or bad, however, in this case I'm making an exception. I generally don't have much luck with computer accessaries. Printers are the bain of my life though. I thought from the initial reviews I read of this waste of space that it might be an improvement on the junk yard of dire contraptions that I'd already had. Wrong. Worst of the lot. The ink lasts less time than any other ink printer I've had and you don't even need to use the thing for the ink to rapidly reach zero. The scanner on the occassions you have something the scanner can see to scan isn't too bad but tricking the thing into scanning a whole photo successfully can be very trying. It is only by extreme will power that I have not yet defenestrated this thing. On a happier note I brought a Brother HL-11 mono laser printer, it's a dream and cost a little more than a couple of standard Kodak ink wells and the laser toner seems to last for ever by comparrison. Just looking for a decent stand alone scanner now that doesn't suffer from Kodak cataract.

Art and Power: Europe Under the Dictators 1930-45
Art and Power: Europe Under the Dictators 1930-45
by David Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars The guide to art and power under the dictators., 29 Dec. 2014
Outstanding work that I would have brought when I attended the exhibition it accompanied if I could have afforded it then. With text by one of the foremost experts on the period and perfectly illustrated this is a seminal work. Essential to any collection.

Adrift in the Oceans of Mercy
Adrift in the Oceans of Mercy
by Martin Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars A post-Soviet masterpiece, 27 Sept. 2012
This really is a masterpiece, one of those books I couldn't put down and then didn't want to finish because once finished there's no more of it to look forward to. Set in the immediate post-Soviet years the story is told by a Cosmonaut abandoned to his fateabord the Mir Space Station that has become a victim of post-Soviet economics and politics. We hear biography of the lone cosmonaut and his musings on the nature and fate of humanity. It is told in a manner that makes you feel almost as if you are in Mir with him gazing down god-like on the world or accompanying him as he explores the frozen wastes and beauty of Russia. Booth weaves a tale that avoids the usual cliches of the period and instead presents a realistic and very human story that rings true to the period. An instant favourite to be very highly recomended.

Marshal Zhukov at the Oder: The Decisive Battle for Berlin
Marshal Zhukov at the Oder: The Decisive Battle for Berlin
by Tony Le Tissier

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best accounts of the Great Patriotic War I have read., 11 Feb. 2012
This is an almost minute by minute, blow by blow account of the final drive on Berlin by the Red Army. The detail is impressive but easy to get bogged down in and confused by if you let your concentration slip. There are plenty of diagrams to aid your comprehension but I found many of them incomprehensible (probably my fault rather than that of the detailed maps).
What this book does convey is a good sense of the horror of those days, the squandering of life, the ruthlessness of the fighting. The way that commanders on both sides had their hands tied by two different paranoid mad men fighting multiple battles according to personal agendas which cared little for the pawns on the battlefield.
The dense narrative is helped by the intervention of the diaries of those fighting on both sides which helps to inject a little humanity into what is at times quite a heavy technical read.
I have read a number of Tony Le Tissiers books and appreciate the detail he goes into yet maintains a readable narrative. Highly recommended to those interested in recent history especially now that we have access to a fuller account of events.