Profile for E. Smith > Reviews

Content by E. Smith

E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elemis Treasures of the Sea Gift Set
Elemis Treasures of the Sea Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Products, 8 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Elemis set is absolutely gorgeous. I've used this brand before at the beauticians and loved it, as it smells lovely and my skin feels so soft and smooth afterwards. Knowing that already, I was very pleased when I received this lovely set.

All three products have all produced good results. The moisturiser and eye cream are both super absorbent and very silky and leave my skin feeling hydrated and smooth.The mask is lovely and makes my skin feel well cleansed. I would definitely recommend this even if it is quite expensive, as it would be a lovely gift.

Even the case it comes in is very useful and good quality.

The People V. O.J. Simpson
The People V. O.J. Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 28 Dec. 2016
Having watched the series, I went straight on to the book and was surprised by how much additional information it contained.

I watched the trial almost every night at the time and was never in any doubt as to Simpson's guilt, but this book tells me things I never new or fully appreciated. The blood evidence alone should have been enough to convict, especially the trail of blood to the left, and him having a new unexplained cut on his left hand, but Cochrane was so successful in playing the race card that facts didn't matter.

The jury might as well have consisted of his mother alone, given that they'd never have convicted one of their own, no matter what evidence was provided. As for the players, Shapiro is portrayed as very vain and doubting his client's innocence, whereas Cochrane is simply a cynical, charismatic manipulator.

Darden comes across as more incompetent than I'd realised, especially over insisting the glove was tried on, but Clark was definitely the star prosecutor, bedevilled by a flash defence team, inadequate resources, a difficult personal life and a naive belief that the jury would be unbiased.

Even if you've seen the series, this book is well worth reading for the extra information, including quite a lot on peripheral characters who never made the series.

The Walking Dead Season 1
The Walking Dead Season 1
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 18 Dec. 2016
We're not zombie people, but so many people have said great things about this, we gave it a try. We're still not convinced.

We found the zombies to be funny, not at all scary, and the gore was pure comic book stuff. As for the characters, it all seemed the pretty standard, stereotypical, varied, diverse bunch you get in any series nowadays. We didn't particularly care if any of them lived or died, unlike in any other series we like.

There are coincidences and plot holes galore, and I kept wondering where the power, fuel and other supplies was all coming from, as once things don't get maintained, they stop working. I also wondered why they didn't lead or the zombies off a high building or something, rather than run around wasting bullets.

For us, it's nowhere near as instantly watchable as the likes of Goliath or Ray Donovan, but we'll give the second series a go to see if it improves.

Hozelock Seasons Multi Spray Gun  2676
Hozelock Seasons Multi Spray Gun 2676

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 18 Dec. 2016
For years I've used a pressure washer to wash the car, but as I always use a brush too, it always seemed an unnecessary faff getting it set up. For some reason, I never thought of using the hose, as I wasn't actually aware that these guns existed.

Now that I have one, life is so much easier. I simply clip it on and spray the car, getting rid of the muddiest bits before using the brush, then the hose again to rinse it. The fact that the hose only sprays when the handle is pressed means I don't have water running everywhere. It's also really useful for watering all the plants pots with a different spray pattern.

There are a number of spray types, from a fine mist, through a watering can spray, to a more concentrated stream rinsing the car. For the price, this is a great little gadget.

Mens Brushed Pure 100% Cotton Pyjamas Winter Warm Flannel Thermal M L XL XXL (Large, Navy Check)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good For The Price, 18 Dec. 2016
I wanted warmer pyjamas than the usual cotton lounge suits you get everywhere, and these sounded ok. They may be brushed cotton, but only the outside seems to be slightly warmer, with the pattern simply being a print on the white cotton background. Maybe it's the outside that's brushed.

Also, they're not as thick or heavy as I expected, but for this price I don't suppose I can complain.

The buttoned fly is quite good, as I didn't actually want a fly in case my meat and two veg escaped, but the buttons fix that problem. The waist is elastic, no cords, but with two buttons to give you some flexibility.

Philips LED B22 Bayonet Cap Light Bulb, Frosted, 13 W (100 W) - Warm White, Pack of 2
Offered by The LED Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Warmish Light, 18 Dec. 2016
We bought these to replace a more expensive, highly rated bulb which we found to be far too white and clinical, not to mention a little slow at starting up.

Anyway, this bulb is a revelation in comparison. It switches on instantly, is very bright, but with a more normal, warmer glow than the depressing white thing it replaced.

Don't be like us and fall for the hype of the more powerful, whiter bulb, this is actually much more natural and a huge improvement.

Wallander: Collected Films 8-13 [DVD] [2005]
Wallander: Collected Films 8-13 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Krister Henriksson

3.0 out of 5 stars Slipped a Bit, 18 Dec. 2016
We went straight into this after the first box set. Apparently this was made at the same time, being in fact the second half of the first series. Anyway, we started to get bored and by the end agreed that we wouldn't buy any more.

The first episode had quite a bit of stilted English dialogue in it, which might have sounded normal to Swedish ears, but to us it sounded too formal and somehow not quite right. Then the Container episode seemed woefully idealistic given current events and we actually gave up on it as it was so weak. The best episode was the one with the tough cop from Malmö and we hoped to see more of him, as he certainly livened things up.

We were disappointed in Wallander's affair with the married woman, as that also livened things up but then petered out, to the show's detriment. That, along with Linda taking a back seat in many episodes, and the less than riveting plots, meant that we cared less about the characters.

Having said that, the last episode was pretty dramatic, but it reinforced our opinion that there was no future for us. Reading reviews of the next series suggests we've made the right decision.

Rotary Men's Automatic Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap GS00342/06
Offered by Alderley Watches

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Looking, 14 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an interesting looking watch. It's basically an open case with hands, so you can see the inner workings of the watch, front and back. There's a lot going on in there, and it's kind of mesmerising after a while.

The watch itself is more on the medium size, certainly not noticeably large. I have thin wrists and it doesn't look stupidly big on me. The black croc-effect leather strap feels nice and looks good, with a wide range of wrist sizes accommodated.

The watch is automatic, so no batteries to worry about, although it does mean that if you don't use it for a few days you'll need to reset it, although that's no biggie. There's no date function, so all you need to think about is setting the correct time.

My only niggles are the blue hands being a bit difficult to see in some lights, and also the fact that it's not visible in the dark.

All in all, I like the watch, as it's interesting to look at, it's unusual, it's automatic and the price isn't outrageous for what it is.

skinChemists Advanced Pro-5 Collagen Lifting & Firming Serum 30 ml
skinChemists Advanced Pro-5 Collagen Lifting & Firming Serum 30 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 13 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this lifting and firming serum for a few weeks now and certainly don't notice any difference to the area around my eyes. I thought at first when receiving the serum that as it was very expensive it would be a quality product that would maybe work a miracle for my ageing skin. Sadly this did not happen but the serum itself did feel pleasant enough being of a thick consistency and did absorb nicely into the skin.  Since receiving it, I now notice that the price of the serum has been reduced considerably and probably more in line with the quality.

I liked the look of the container at first, but then I have had trouble getting the serum out, having sometimes to pump the top about 10 times to get the small amount out that is required! I actually thought that I should shake it or was doing something wrong but after reading other reviews it's obviously a design flaw. Skinchemists really need to look at this bottle design.  Not being able to see the contents inside doesn't help either.

For me, there's nothing special about the product, and the poorly designed container spoils any small pleasure you might get from using it.

Wallander: Collected Films 1-7 [DVD] [2005]
Wallander: Collected Films 1-7 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Krister Henriksson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 11 Dec. 2016
Being a fan of Nordic series, and having worked my way through The Bridge, The Killing etc, this was an obvious next choice.

I definitely don't think it's up there with the two I mention, but it's still an enjoyable series. The characters are refreshingly ordinary and normal, no young Hollywood stunningly beautiful geniuses here, just people who might live or work next to you. There's no shortage of crime in the little town, and it's sometimes confusing keeping track of who's who, but it's a pleasant way to spend 90 minutes.

My only criticism would be that I feel the pricing is a bit on the high side, and that more films should be sold together at a better average price, but that's not stopped me buying Season 2.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20