Profile for Dave Barter > Reviews

Dave Barter

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality for not much cash, 14 Dec. 2016
Great value and a quality watch. It ticks really loud, some may not like that but it makes me feel like I have a proper timepiece on my wrist

Páramo Men's Quito Waterproof Breathable Jacket - Reef Blue, Small
Páramo Men's Quito Waterproof Breathable Jacket - Reef Blue, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit, 14 Dec. 2016
These jackets are the business. Properly waterproof and warm even in the worst of weather. My Goretex jacket leaks after prolonged rain. This does not. Highly recommended

Swann SWO-HUB01K-UK Smart Hub - White
Swann SWO-HUB01K-UK Smart Hub - White
Offered by BESTBUYIT

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 14 Dec. 2016
Absolutely the most terrible bit of kit I have ever purchased. At first it seems straightforward to setup but only 2 out of the 5 devices were able to pair with the hub. There is minimal documentation and almost no online support. However, all was not lost as they advertise 24 x 7 support. I called the line and received a message stating that they do not offer telephone support. A support email took 4 days to get an answer. Luckily I had already returned it by then.

The worst feature of all is that the APP does not send notifications to the phone when alarms are triggered. Well if it does I could not find it? YOu have to open it and browse for them yourself.

Konig Universal Computer Lock
Konig Universal Computer Lock

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for Apple computers, 23 Jan. 2016
Does not fit slot at rear of iMac

Call Center Telephone with Headset, Coodio Corded Phone [Call Center] Telephone with Headset and Recording Cable and Tone Dialpad [Office Phone] RJ11 6P2C Telephone Socket - C999
Offered by itech-coodio

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, cannot be heard by callers, 11 Nov. 2015
Rubbish. Nobody could hear me properly as the headset or something internal was faulty. Hate it so much I binned it rather than send it back.

Extremities Tuff Bags Waterpooof Windproof Over Mittens Black Medium
Extremities Tuff Bags Waterpooof Windproof Over Mittens Black Medium
Offered by OutdoorGear Outdoor Experts

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov. 2015
Amazing over-gloves cannot believe how light they are yet the difference these make when worn on bad days

How Google Works
How Google Works

5.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for innovation, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: How Google Works (Kindle Edition)
Having worked in two startups and two corporates I wished I'd been given this book as a teenager. The reasoning and logic for the way things are done in Google is clear and impossibly hard to fault. This book has snippets that are so obvious yet revelations at the same time. Take the simple statement about ex-employees becoming part of an alumni. Obvious but brilliant.

The advice on recruitment is outstanding, yet again so simple and obvious.

Many directors will read this and think "it could not possibly happen in our company". The good ones will lean back and think "I wonder why?" and then actively try and change things or at least challenge current practise.

Clearly this book has Google spin entwined within. But it is a great tome for challenging the HiPPOs ....

Probably Nothing: A Diary of Not-Your-Average Nine Months
Probably Nothing: A Diary of Not-Your-Average Nine Months
by Matilda Tristram

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising yet hugely entertaining, 23 Aug. 2014
Many people have written about their struggle with cancer but very few have managed to properly elucidate the landscape of emotion that surrounds them. Matilda's book manages to do this amazingly effectively both in the words and the drawings of the author. Not a single punch is pulled throughout the book as Matlida strafes the reader with her honest opinion and emotions. Sometimes I laughed along with her observations, other times I was pushed back into my seat as her perspective challenged my own preconceived view of the cancer sufferer. She not only paints a landscape of a time of life but also neatly snapshots the observations of an urban dweller. Never again will I pass a pi**ed tramp without imagining what he is thinking of me .. and whether he is right. This book was undoubtedly born from adversity but manages to celebrate the individual and their need for emotion. Matilda got off the cancer sufferer stereotype bus at the first stop and walked instead.

PostGIS Cookbook
PostGIS Cookbook
by Paolo Corti

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas., 13 May 2014
This review is from: PostGIS Cookbook (Paperback)
As an intermediate/expert Postgis user I found this guide full of interesting approaches to a number of problems I'd attempted to tackle myself. For example, extruding geometries into 3D and processing DEM rasters. The level of explanation is perfect for one who already knows their way around Postgis. The Cookbook is also comprehensive and covers almost all aspects of the Postgis capabilities. I would have liked a bit more breadth in the programming chapter which is mainly python based and could have done without the desktop clients/web chapters which don't really cover Postgis capabilities.

All in all a really useful resource for anyone wondering if "Postgis can do that?" the answer is almost always "yes"

Classic Darksite Diving: Cave Diving Sites of Britain and Europe
Classic Darksite Diving: Cave Diving Sites of Britain and Europe
by Martyn Farr

5.0 out of 5 stars I can only dream, 13 May 2014
Many years ago as a wet behind the ears (literally) caver I was in the South Wales Caving Club hut and a friend pointed at this bloke in a wetsuit. "That's Martyn Farr" he said. I'd never heard of him and all around me laughed at my ignorance. Since then I've made it my mission to fill that knowledge gap and was blown away by reading The Darkness Beckons. I've consumed just about every other piece of cave diving literature since including "Classic Darkside Caving". The book has proved inspirational and got me thinking beyond my current UK open water diving experience. It's well written, nicely illustrated and photographed but most importantly, frank. I have no illusions of diving straight into Wookey Hole, but am looking at some proper training and then maybe a few tentative trips into some of Devon's sea caves. Who knows what will happen next. But thanks Martyn for opening my eyes to what is out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3