Profile for Cautious rider > Reviews

Content by Cautious rider

Cautious rider (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Northern Crime One: New Crime Stories from Northern Writers
Northern Crime One: New Crime Stories from Northern Writers
by MJ Wesolowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Crime Fans and Creative Writing Students, 19 Jan. 2016
A very entertaining anthology, which makes you wonder why short story collections aren't usually as popular as novels. And it's also interesting to see the variety of age and experience in the author biographies. I'd thoroughly recommend this to any Creative Writing students, because it shows quality from up-and-coming authors who are not (yet) professional writers. I won't single out any particular story, because, in the interests of total honesty, I wrote one of them. But I wouldn't recommend this book if I wasn't completely happy with the other stories that sit alongside it. Happy reading...

Ralph and the Purple Fly
Ralph and the Purple Fly
by Christopher Brunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird... But in a good way, 28 July 2014
I'll declare my interest and say that I am a fellow MA graduate of Chris', and so I'm going to be constructively critical here. I enjoyed reading this a lot, but some aspects of it could have done with further work, I think. I'll mention one of them: Chris has used a very unusual prose style which suits the weird, claustrophobia-inducing atmosphere of the story. Wordy and old-fashioned, it might remind you of Victorian / Gothic or something translated from Russian. It is a bold and interesting choice, but it does slow the reader down. This wouldn't matter in itself, but as there are certain passages which go on a bit too long, it compounds that particular problem. I would recommend this book, though, because it is quite unusual, and I'll certainly be interested to see what this writer does next.

Mr Holland's Opus [DVD] [1996]
Mr Holland's Opus [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Richard Dreyfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my top ten films ever..., 17 Jun. 2014
... yeah, sure there are some overly-sentimental, schmaltzy, toe-curling bits, but you can't fault the acting, the period settings and the overall positive message about helping others. It's a beautiful movie that ought to be a classic.

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy
D-Day: The Battle for Normandy
by Antony Beevor

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual, Antony Beevor does not disappoint, 15 Oct. 2013
Having read 'Berlin, the Downfall', I decided to buy his story of the D day landings. Very interesting and a pleasure to read. A good overview, punctuated with anecdotes from individuals who were there. Nice also, to discover that some of the scenes from the film 'The Longest Day' are based on true events... As usual, Antony Beevor takes an enormous, wide ranging subject, and keeps the reader's interest throughout.

Bible Belt
Bible Belt
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful voice, 10 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Bible Belt (Audio CD)
21 reviews with five stars, and counting. I have to say that it took a little while for this whole album to grow on me, and after one listen I would have only given the five stars to a couple of tracks. But having owned it for a week or three, it is definitely five stars all round. What a wonderful voice. What talent this young woman has.

Peter Egan on the Road: America's Favorite Automotive Writer Stays Off the Interstate: America's Favourite Automotive Writer Stays Off the Interstate

5.0 out of 5 stars the Bill Bryson of automotive writing, 12 Jun. 2011
I bought this because I enjoyed 'Leanings' 1 and 2 so much, and it does not disappoint. I'm more of a motorcycle fan than a car buff, but the quality of the writing is the same. Anyone who says that the Americans don't do irony needs to read Egan. This is the Bill Bryson of automotive writing, and because this is an anthology it is actually more consistently funny, clever and enjoyable. If you like old cars, travel books or just good writing you should buy this book. Egan is now one of my top ten ever writers, and that's saying something.

Leanings 2
Leanings 2

5.0 out of 5 stars really, really read this book, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Leanings 2 (Paperback)
You may have seen my review of 'Leanings'... I can't do better than repeat the same sentiments: if you or your partner like motorcycles, read this book. If you like good writing, if you like original ideas, if you have a wry sense of humour, read this book. If you think you might want to become a journalist, read this book. If you like cars, guitars, travelling, motorcycles, read this book. If you can read, read this, and if you can't read, get someone else to read you this book.

I'm a sometime motorcyclist and I've never owned a car, but I like his writing so much, I'm buying his car books, too. I'm not joking, really read this book.

Buzzing!: A Fun Celebration of Garden Creepy Crawlies in Poetry and Photos
Buzzing!: A Fun Celebration of Garden Creepy Crawlies in Poetry and Photos
by Anneliese Emmans Dean
Edition: CD-ROM

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and you won't regret it, 18 Jan. 2011
Buy this for your children, your parents, or for yourself. How can poetry be such fun? Clever, witty and very accessible. Better than Pam Ayres, better than Roger McGough. Essential for all primary schools and all university departments of entomology. Spend a few pounds on this, and enjoy a future classic...

Leanings: The Best of Peter Egan from "Cycle World": The Best of Peter Egan from Cycle World

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, 17 Oct. 2010
If you like motorcycles, read this. If your husband/wife/partner likes motorcycles, read this. If you think you might want to train as a journalist (any field, not just a bike journalist), read this. If you appreciate good writing, read this. If you like discussions and new ideas, read this. If you have a wry sense of humour, read this.
And then read 'Leanings 2' which I like even better.

I'm a sometime biker, and I've never owned a car, but I'm so impressed with Egan I am going to buy his collections of car journalism, too. Everyone should read this.

Motorcycle Electrical Techbook
Motorcycle Electrical Techbook
by A. Tranter

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal of theory and science - great if that's what you want, 17 Oct. 2010
This book is very clear and well written like all in the same series. It contains an awful lot of science/background theory, and to be honest, you could read the electrical sections in the 'Basics' Techbook instead and still have enough knowledge to apply to working on your own bike. The chapter on testing and fault finding is the most useful bit of this book for the amateur mechanic (and isn't covered in the Basics book).

I have bought the entire motorcycle Techbook series but that is partly just because I love books! If you are a beginner / slightly experienced at servicing your bike, I would make sure you have the Haynes Basics Techbook first, and even experienced home mechanics can learn or revise something from it. I also bought the Tracy Martin book mentioned in other reviews and it does complement and add to what is in the Haynes series. I have classic/vintage machines, and I really appreciate the fact that older systems (eg direct lighting) are explained in the Haynes books. I've given this five stars, but it depends what you are in need of - if you want a book that quickly helps you solve an electrical problem on your motorcycle, then you will need other books instead (or perhaps in addition to) this one.

Page: 1 | 2