Profile for María José García Ferrer > Reviews

Content by María José Gar...

María José García Ferrer (Madrid, Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years
Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years
by Sue Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh as ever, 20 Dec. 2009
I have just finished this book and I have to say I still love Adrian twenty-six years on.
Sue Townsend is a comic genius and her characters are lovable even if they are ridiculous.
I was a bit sad when I closed the book this morning: I do hope things start looking up for Adrian. He deserves the best.

The Uncommon Reader
The Uncommon Reader
by Alan Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars So much fun, 9 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Uncommon Reader (Paperback)
I bought this little book at the airport yesterday and read it on the way home (just 120 pages). It's a thoroughly enjoyable novelette. I hadn't read anything by Bennet before, but I enjoyed watching The Madness of King George based on one of his plays and for which he wrote the script.
The Uncommon Reader is about the Queen developing a late life passion for books and the unease this provokes among her equerries. Very funny.

Beloved
Beloved
by Toni Morrison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Beloved (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a great achievement, a delight from beginning to end. Wonderfully crafted and full of symbolism, it is a hymn to human suffering and endurance.
Even if we think that what Sethe did was wrong, we cannot help but understand her motivation. Slavery is terrible because it makes basically good people act in unexpected ways and commit acts they would never commit in a normal, fair world.
Endearing characters. Great mastery of the language. Definitely a must.

Ben, in the World
Ben, in the World
by Doris Lessing

4.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than the fifth child, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Ben, in the World (Paperback)
Doris Lessing is a great writer. One of her marks of greatness is that she can write accessible novels that are easy to understand but at the same time thought-provoking.
I started this novel under the impression that I was not going to like it as much as the first one, but I was mistaken. Maybe The Fifth Child is more of a masterpiece, but it is also unbearably disturbing at times. In Ben, in the World, we encounter many cruel and inhumane situations, but there is also tenderness in abundance.
What I like the most about this book is the fact that one gets a new perspective on Ben. He stops being a monster and becomes an endearing, lost human being. It's true that he can be violent at times, but it's probably because he was never truly loved by his own family.He never belonged. His sin? He's just different.
An easy-to-read story that leaves a mark.You won't forget Ben in a hurry.

The Fifth Child (Paladin Books)
The Fifth Child (Paladin Books)
by Doris Lessing

4.0 out of 5 stars She won me over, 21 Dec. 2008
I had only read Lessing once before, and that was when I was given The Golden Notebook as a set book at University. Back then I didn't enjoy the experience, I suppose because, like most of us, I tend to resent books that I am forced to read. When I chose The Fifth Child for my school book club I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew I had to read something by this novelist and enjoy it... after all she got the Nobel Prize... I was hooked from the first page and so were most of my students. It's very easy to get into the story and although it is deeply disturbing it is also moving, original and masterfully written. It's simple and elegant prose at its best. Now we are getting ready to read the second part, we are eager to find out what becomes of this poor alienated creature in Ben in the World.

Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Floating on air, 6 Aug. 2008
I have already seen the film twice and I wouldn't mind to see it again. It's a great opportunity to believe that life is good, perfect and forget your troubles for a couple of hours. Having Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth in the cast is a plus for the ladies, of course. And the rest of the cast is wonderful too. Meryl Streep has a wonderful voice and Julie Walters is hilarious. Just one word to summarize it all: Wow!

The Annotated Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
by Lewis Carroll

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I lack imagination..., 22 Jun. 2008
A student chose this for our book club, and although I had some misgivings I said yes, because after all it's a classic.I tried to forget the fact that I didn't like it the first time I read it. I enthusiastically bought myself this annotated edition and started reading it again...
And surprise, surprise I still don't like it. My four stars go to the editor , though. The notes are wonderful,even though sometimes I get a bit fed up with them and concentrate on just the text for a while.
I suppose the reason I don't like "Alice" is I'm not into nonsense. My student told me I should try and believe what is happening is true. I've tried but I can't,maybe it's because I'm getting old...

Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
I know it is a cliché, but Pride and Prejudice is still my favourite Austen novel.
I am rereading it again just now, and I cannot help falling in love with all the main characters all over.
If I could be a literary heroine, I would undoubtedly be Elizabeth Bennet. Jane is lovely too, but maybe too good for my liking.
This book also counts with the presence of the inimitable Mr. Darcy, mysterious and attractive as not even real men can be.
And there are some secondary characters to die for. Especially Mr. Collins who, despite the fact of being pedantic and self-centred, is too stupid to be hated.
If you have never read this novel, now is the moment, and even if you have, reading it again will always be a pleasure.

Northanger Abbey (Wordsworth Classics)
Northanger Abbey (Wordsworth Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars A different Austen, 25 May 2008
Northanger Abbey is the shortest of Austen's major novels, but like the others it is a delightful read.
Maybe the most ironic of the six and the one in which Austen reveals her opinions through the voice of the narrator the most clearly.
We are introduced to Catherine Morland, a young, innocent if slightly gullible heroine who like the Quixote has let books influence her imagination to an unreasonable degree.
We also meet Henry Tilney who is cultured, interesting and has a great sense of humor. Great hero material.
The secondary characters are, as usual, perfect.My favourite is the horrendous Mr. Thorpe:vulgar and totally detestable.
If you have never read this novel, I suggest you start just now. It's a must.

Sense and Sensibility (Penguin Classics)
Sense and Sensibility (Penguin Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars As much as you expected and more, 3 May 2008
I love Jane Austen. I know this is a cliché, but it is also true. I have read her six major novels again and again and I never have enough.
Sense and Sensibility is delightful in every respect.
It is full of as much drama as Miss Austen will ever deliver, with one of the heroines being at the doors of death because of unrequited love.
We encounter all kinds of characters: from the endearing but vulgar Mr. Middleton, to the horrible and deceitful Lucy Steele.
We also have three very different heroes: the romantic, byronic but ultimately dissapointing Willoughby; the unprepossessing but loyal Colonel Brandon and the slightly insipid Mr. Ferrars.
Definitely a must if you love 18th century literature.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3