Profile for jacketi > Reviews

Content by jacketi

jacketi

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Therapies (Llewellyn's Health and Healing Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, 17 May 2014
This is the third book I've read from Ted Andrews and as ever it's jam-packed with practical information that will speed your healing processes along.

Each section works as a primer for the subject - hence the name of the book, a beginner's guide - and sets the reader on a pathway for further study and practice,

Ted Andrews, wherever you are, as ever: thanks so much.

Earth Medicine: Ancestors' ways of Harmony for Many Moons (Healing Arts)
Earth Medicine: Ancestors' ways of Harmony for Many Moons (Healing Arts)
by Jamie Sams

5.0 out of 5 stars Integrity, intuition and awareness, leading to Spirit, 15 May 2014
I kind of agree with Maz's review, in that some of the poetry is not to my taste, but the rest of the book is absolute gold. Check this:

"Nothing is impossible when we are dealing with human potential. We can hear the heartbeat if wholeness, never knowing what it is that leads us toward our desired goals, we can simply be doing what feels right to us, and we will be using the heartbeat of wholeness as our natural rhythm."

"We have been taught by the technical society that we live in that most things are complex. If we believe this it becomes true. It may be time for all of us to use the hearing that exists without sound. When we trust the soundless feelings, we can hear the wholeness that leads us to personal happiness."

Something a little Rumi about this, wouldn't you say?

How To Grow Your Massage Business (Get & Keep Clients With Networking & Great Customer Service)

2.0 out of 5 stars How to give presentations?, 27 Mar. 2014
If you would like a book that gives advice on giving presentations, with such gems as: "wear clean clothes", "smile" and "brush your teeth", each one of these admonitions repeated several times, then this is the book for you. This is the contents of the first 25% of the book. I'm not sure how much more there is on presentations, because I returned the book at this stage.

Most pages only have two sentences each. Here's a typical example of the entire contents of one page:

"The best conversationalists are the best listeners. Identify yourself on the phone by name and title to avoid confusion."

If you want advice on how to grow your massage business, this probably is not the book you need.

How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, safe, important, 24 Mar. 2014
If you are in any kind of metaphysical field you need to find your way to reading this book. Meeting Spirit Guides is not difficult, you just need to know how to do it.

E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission accomplished, 24 Mar. 2014
I bought this book a couple of months ago and since have "manifested" over $1,500 USD and the wherewithal to fund 6 very expensive courses I have been dearly wanting to do for months.

I tried most of the experiments - not all because not all of them were relevant to me - and most of them worked. But the point is that what I really wanted I achieved.

This book explains the science behind the practice of manifesting so you can believe that it's happening / going to happen, which is the trick of it. What sealed the deal for me was the forgiveness practice she suggested. This was only mentioned once but that tipped the scale. There are many gems along the way that make the whole compelling and practical

I think I'd even go as far as to say that this book helps to ignite your belief in the inherent goodness of the universe, and just how easy it is to access that. I am in my mid-forties so obviously I have had my share of "rainy days" but even so I was very impressed with this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2017 7:58 PM GMT

Reiki Symbols Cards (Reiki Learning Series)
Reiki Symbols Cards (Reiki Learning Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait a second!, 24 Mar. 2014
Are you serious about Reiki? Do you understand that Usui Sensei went to Mount Kurama to die, and we should practice Reiki with the same devotion? If you really understand this, you will know that the power symbols are given to you by your teacher at attunement of levels 2 and 3, and that's the only reason they are powerful. Buying a book on Amazon, love doing it though I do, is really NOT the same! You shouldn't be even looking at this! The Power Symbols are held back until attunement for a reason, not because they can cause harm, but as a mark of respect, for your teacher - who judges when you are ready to receive them - and for Mikao Usui.

If you are serious about Reiki, you will not buy this, but have your teacher give you these symbols at the right time. If you really don't care about Reiki but just want to tell your friends that you "know" the symbols, go ahead and waste your money on this. It won't mean anything or give you any "power" without the attunement anyway,
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2016 11:01 PM BST

Alchemy: Science of the Cosmos, Science of the Soul
Alchemy: Science of the Cosmos, Science of the Soul
by Titus Burckhardt

5.0 out of 5 stars Alchemy of the Spirit, Soul and Body., 25 May 2013
Titus Burckhardt explains Alchemy as a means to salvation. The essential point is that there is a link between the action of the body - the work in the lab on minerals - the soul, and the spirit. A moving and beautiful book, Mr. burckhardt's generosity and insight shine from every page.

For a how-to on making plant "stones", see Manfred Junius.

HUE HD (white) USB camera for Windows and Mac
HUE HD (white) USB camera for Windows and Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Snow Leopard, 31 Mar. 2013
I have just installed this camera and can use it fine with Snow Leopard on a MacBook Air. You only need to download the software from the maker's website, really not difficult! and follow the extremely simple instructions. I am an only semi-computer literate 45 year old. If I can work out how to do it, so can you.

The camera quality is of course not pin-sharp, this is a web-cam not a surgical tool, but it's a lot better than the built-in camera, you can focus it manually which I love, and the angle-poise is such a bonus. You can record videos easily and hook it up to Skype in moments. Not sure about other apps etc. as I haven't tried those.

Enjoy.

*UPDATE*

Usage notes for mac users:

1. Make sure that the software is installed but the application is NOT running when you use the camera.

2. Do not use the USB cam mic as this messes up the sound. Use the built-in mic instead, IMHO.

3. For recording a movie, Open Quick Time, choose FILE>NEW MOVIE RECORDING. On the black panel at the bottom of the recording screen, click the white downward pointing triangle, select USB cam. Now click on the red dot and you're away.

4. For Skype, as above, make sure the software is off/closed/not running, and you are using the built-in mic not the USB/camera mic, as I've found that otherwise you get this annoying sand-sifting background noise.

Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
by Renee Janina

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but..., 25 Aug. 2012
I bought this books few weeks ago, I have used it a few times and so far it has been very useful. I particularly liked:

* the way it has added a new dimension to my Tarot practice
* the easy to follow format - look up a spell and away you go
* the fact that all you need is a Tarot deck, but if you want to add bells and whistles then go ahead
* you can adapt the wording of the spells to suit your particular needs
* the spells work!

I only give it four stars because of the love spell that tells you how to get a particular person to fall in love with you. See, in my opinion, that's dark magic, because it forces someone to do something against their rational will. Anyone considering this spell needs to ask themselves how they would like it if the boot were on the other foot and they were made to fall in love with someone they really didn't want to be with. Horrible, right? In mitigation, Renee tells us that you can't actually get anyone to do anything they don't want to with this book and these spells, it just magically stacks the deck in your favour, in many ways. But still, it still comes over as creepy and horrible and opens the door to a sinister way of thinking.

I have a couple of Tarot spell books, and although the other one is very profound and academic on the history and esoteric systems in the Tarot, so in that sense it was very helpful and I learned a lot, Renee's book's spells work in a practical way. It could also introduce you to the Tarot as a tool for guidance, which is its primary function.

The Mary-el Tarot
The Mary-el Tarot
by Marie White

5.0 out of 5 stars A new road in Tarot, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Mary-el Tarot (Paperback)
Marie White conceived this deck as a synthesis of the Waite-Smith, Thoth and Marseille decks, but it's so much more. She adds an extra layer of her own, a new way of viewing the images and meanings of the cards.

For instance, the 5 of Cups, normally a card of bitterness and regret, is presented as an 8-legged unicorn, the fountain of life and the two trees in the garden of Eden: the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and the Tree of Eternal Life. What does this mean? It means that we find heaven within ourselves, and that by eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (so that's "good times and bad times") we come closer to the fountain, to the mythic unicorn, Sleppnir, Odin's mount, and the Tree of Eternal Life.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a very fussy woman, having spent 5 years studying painting and as an artist subsequently, with very rigid ideas about what makes good technical ability, and I have to say that Marie's artwork ticks every box on my checklist and more. Using oil paint to seal the deal, each card is a mini masterpiece in itself, with only a couple of images that didn't quite make it for me.

The only other problem I have with this deck is the stickiness of the surface of the cards that make them hard to shuffle at first, although this becomes slightly easier with use. I'm also worried that the plastic coating of the cards is not permanent and might start peeling off with time, this is a complaint I'm reading a lot about this deck and it would be something that the publishers will want to address in subsequent reprints. That being said, the cards are nice and big and the stock is good, heavy and thick, which gives the cards a icon-like feel which I like a lot. The images also have a plain black border, which is a blessed relief after the borders added by publishers on some other decks I won't mention.

This is now The Deck that I use, the images are sometimes darker than usual (10 of Cups!) and sometimes lighter (all the 5s) but the extra dimension of meaning adds to the language of Tarot because of Ms White's incredible knowledge of esoteric and ethnological systems. This would not be the best deck for beginners, whereas the Waite-Smith, Golden Tarot or Thoth would be, as they deal with the Golden Dawn symbolism more directly, but it's the perfect deck for people who want to take their Tarot to another dimension.

Can't recommend highly enough. Buy it now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4