Profile for Mr. P. A. Hyde > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. A. Hyde

Mr. P. A. Hyde "Peter Hyde" (Hants United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
BBT750 CarPlan Bug Blitz 750ml
BBT750 CarPlan Bug Blitz 750ml

1.0 out of 5 stars This didn't touch what I think was probably tree sap ..., 30 Sept. 2016
This didn't touch what I think was probably tree sap despite giving it time to work. Doesn't do what it says!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2017 6:02 PM BST

Puccini: Tosca -- 2002 Film Version [DVD]
Puccini: Tosca -- 2002 Film Version [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angela Gheorghiu
Offered by DVD Vault Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off, 19 Oct. 2009
This is flawed as described in several reviews. But don't let that put you off. There are some outstanding performances and moments of sublime magic here that make it compelling viewing and listening. The sound quality is simply magnificent. I once recall an elderly gentleman talking about opera - I don't give a dam about the production, he said, for me the singing and music are everything. So I have learned to put up with the production style of many operas and been richly rewarded. That is true here.

Technotrade Technoline WT 535-Radio Controlled Projection Alarm Clock
Technotrade Technoline WT 535-Radio Controlled Projection Alarm Clock

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 11 Oct. 2009
This is VERY difficult to set up - the instructions are confusing. The wireless feature did not work in my area. I could not set the time manually. I had to wait for the time to reach the hour, powered up and was then able to use time difference feature to set the right time. A farce. And I really don't like the time showing on the bedroom ceiling. Thought I would but I don't. And to see the clock in the dark, you have to push the snooze button.

Foe me, a waste of money. I'll send it to a charity shop.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the cost., 13 Aug. 2009
I started traditional shaving again a few months ago using a cheap brush. I took the plunge on the BK8 rather doubtful about whether it would be worth the money.
It is amazing!
It produces a terrific amount of lather within seconds in my shaving bowl. Apply the lather and you can feel it working on your face. The finished shave is just perfect. I thought I was happy previously but this takes the comfort and quality of shave to a whole new level. If nothing else you will use a lot less cream. But really it is like driving a Rolls compared with a battered mini if you are presently using a cheap brush like mine which cost a fiver.

Rossini - Il Barbiere Di Siviglia [Blu-ray] [2008]
Rossini - Il Barbiere Di Siviglia [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Rossini

4.0 out of 5 stars A stunning production, 7 Dec. 2008
Have a look at the 19 reviews of the non blu ray version on Amazon.com. I won't repeat them. This blu ray shows off HD to briliant effect. The costumes, the set and the design produce an effect which dazzles the eye. A truly world class performance from Juan Diego Flores alone makes this a worthy addition to your collection. It can be nitpicked but if you are building a blu ray collection, include this to show it off.

Gioachino Rossini- La Cenerentola (Glyndebourne 2005) [Blu-ray] [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ruxandra Donose

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant British production, 24 Nov. 2008
I relied on some excellent reviews on Amazon.com before buying this. I did not regret it. For an opera lover this is the perfect antidote to the more usual murder, suicide or agonizing deaths that characterize most operas.
I will not repeat the detail of the .com reviews. This is a traditional production where a kitchen looks like a kitchen and a palace looks just like it should. No abstract shapes and meaningless backdrops. There are no weaknesses here. The opera builds to a truly magnificent close and a stunning performance by Ruxandra Donose in the title role. Fine detail in the picture and excellent sound quality - if you collect opera on DVD this has to be your next purchase.

Mozart - 'Don Giovanni (Weisser/Fink/Freiburger Baronkorchester/Rene Jacobs) [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Vincent Boussard

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic?, 22 Nov. 2008
This is a modern interpretation of this classic opera with simple sets relying on abstract shapes and use of colour for effects. A clear understanding of the plot in advance will as always aid your understanding and enjoyment of the performance. And enjoy this I did. All the principals were excellent and the orchestra and chorus were outstanding. Blu Ray delivers vibrant clours and excellent picture definition. And it sounded great on my home cinema system for which I used a Pro Logic 11 setting.
Buy with confidence unless you prefer a traditional production. I used to dislike modern updated opera but I have been won over now and this will be among my favourites.

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (2 Disc Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably boring!, 21 Nov. 2008
Strange how many people find a short condemnation of something unhelpul.
Both my wife and I agreed that this was the most tedious film we have ever watched through to the finish. Much of the dialogue needed to be read in subtitles. The pace was deadly slow. This was a case where real life produced a wholly unattractive set of characters doing awful things. How ironic that the murder of a brutal thug should be followed by universal condemnation of his killer who in turn was murdered by someone susequently granted a pardon!
Historic curiousity attracted me to the film. I should have stuck to Wickpedia.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2010 5:57 PM GMT

Sony KDL-40V4000 - 40" Widescreen 1080P Full HD Bravia LCD TV - With Freeview (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 20 July 2008
I was rather reluctant to replace a 32 inch Toshiba that had served me well for about 5 years. Why get rid of something still working well? I'm not fussed about paying for high definition. I just got fed up with the sheer size of my Toshiba compared with these new HD sets.
This TV is truly excellent. I have it set up with Sky+ and an Apple TV box and an HDMI link to a Blu Ray DVD player. Pictures from all sources are far better than I expected. The quality is so good that I don't think I will be rushing to pay more for an HD Sky box yet awhile. It is also so much lighter than a 4 year old plasma I have in another room and therefore more easy to manoeuvre. So for picture quality, sound and general appearance, I'm delighted with it. I was a bit reluctant to go back to black but it looks good on a black glass stand. Even my old black Rogers floorstanders look good with it. I play the TV with all sources through an integrated hi fi amp. Can't be doing with too many speakers in the lounge. Buy with confidence.

Panasonic HDC-SD9EB-S HD Camcorder
Panasonic HDC-SD9EB-S HD Camcorder

3.0 out of 5 stars Apple users beware., 8 July 2008
I take it as read that this will produce high quality video. As an apple user I want it to work in iMovie 08 by using an SD card reader. I like working like this. I got the Apple store in Southampton and the John Lewis store to try to import some footage shot on a new SD9 using a card reader. It did not work. Much head scratching! There is a lot of talk about this issue on DV forums and Apple forums. Some say import problems to iMovie have been resolved. Until I know for sure that I can use an SD card reader with the SD9 I will not be buying. Apple users like me - be warned.

After this experience I went back to both stores to check that their computers had the latest software updates which were supposed to resolve the iMovie import problem. John Lewis said none of their demo models had ever had software updates. The biggest surprise was Apple. Their computers were still on 7.1.1 version of Leopard. 7.1.2 is the latest which is said to enable the SD9 to work perfectly with iMovie. We live and learn!I have placed an order for the camcorder and will update my review if I have anything new to add.

Note:
Despite having the latest software my SD9 does not work with iMovie. I am visiting my Apple store next week to see if they can identify problem so my warning still applies.

A final note:

I finally resolved my problem with importing clips to iMovie. I was able to do this by disabling my connection to the internet network. I have a wireless link. Something must be interfering with the working of iMovie. I only discovered this because my laptop worked with iMovie importing while I was in the Apple Store. When I returned home it was not working again. That made me think something was interfering with it. I tried to import clips with my network off and it worked.
So if someone else is still having problems my experience might help. Too early to comment more thoroughly on the SD9 but first results are excellent.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2009 3:36 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2