Profile for Komerade Snowflake > Reviews

Content by Komerade Snowflake

Komerade Snowflake "soviet_demon" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Wireless Gaming Headset - DTS Headphone:X 7.1 Surround Sound - PC

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, tiny headphones for people with small, small ears!, 20 April 2017
My last headset was turtlebeach - it had great sound and was very comfortable so I deliberately sought out Turtlebeach when I dropped my old ones one time too many!

Unfortunately these seem to be modelled on a child's head. I had to expand them to near max to put them on & then they are digging into the side of my head! Very uncomfortable. Unfortunately the ear cups also seem quite small and actually curl the edges of my ear to fit them in.

If you have a small head - go for it, if you are a normal sized adult male, I'd look elsewhere

Pure Evoke H3 Portable Digital DAB/DAB+ and FM Radio with Bluetooth, Colour Screen, Alarm - Oak

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Feb. 2017
Good quality sound in a high quality product

Sennheiser PC 320 Open-Back Over-Ear Gaming Headset - Black
Sennheiser PC 320 Open-Back Over-Ear Gaming Headset - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but awful for comfort - returned for refund, 22 Feb. 2017
Good sound, but awful for comfort. These headphones look and unfortunately *feel* like they were designed for the budget market.

After about an hour I found them painfully digging into my ears because there is almost no depth to the ear cups. I am actually having to return them.

The Turtle Beach Z60's, which I bought this to replace, is a rock solid set of mid price gaming headphones that I would recommend.

Dishonored 2 (PC DVD)
Dishonored 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by Rivershop

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved the first game, 13 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Dishonored 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I loved the first game, which I completed about 4 times, so I preordered this rather than wait 8 weeks for it the 40-50% discount in the Christmas 'Steam' sale.

I have a decent mid range PC, but unfortunately the game is very unstable on release and crashes randomly on all but the lowest graphical settings. Hopefully they will fix it with patches, I suggest waiting a month or two and buying then.

Jaegir
Jaegir

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Jaegir (Kindle Edition)
In the 1980's the children's Sci Fi comic 2000AD created a strip called 'Rogue Trooper'. Set on the war torn planet of Nu-Earth a genetically engineered super soldier fights in a war between the 'Southers' (Americans) and Norts (First written during the cold war, when the Soviet Union was perceived as the main threat to world peace and the second world war was in living memory, the Norts were generally a combination of the worst of Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia - with liberal German and Soviet references in their culture and military organisations).

Thirty years on, 2000AD has grown up with it's readers and now writes adult science fiction in these established universes.

'Jaegir' is one such adult story. Kapitan-Inspector Atalia Jaegir serves in the Nordland State Security Police, hunting down war criminals who have escaped justice and burying secrets her superiors would rather stayed secret. The story succeeds in creating a real 'Fatherland' feel as a conflicted Atalia does her patriotic duty in a militarised police state whose conduct routinely falls far short of it's own glorious propaganda.

If you like Rogue Trooper this is a 'must have', and I look forward to a full graphic novel in due course

Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Steelbook (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (PC DVD)
Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Steelbook (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars 28 hours later!, 16 Oct. 2014
The PC Gamer review estimated the single player campaign to be about 25 hours, I took 28 to complete it (on hardest difficulty and with some back tracking to explore new areas)

My post credits impressions are:
The Environment: The developers have created a very effective environment – this game brought back atmospheric memories of ‘Citadel Station’, ‘Rapture’ and ‘the Metro’ from System Shock, Bioshock and Metro 2033 respectively. It’s a very consistent and immersive game world.

Length: The game is very long! This was criticized by several reviewers who felt the game became repetitive. I did not find it so; the game is actually very well paced – raising and lowering the level of threat between missions to keep the overall experience balanced and prevent ‘threat fatigue’.

Difficulty: The first few times you encounter the alien – it is terrifying. This is largely because you tend to die quickly (and horribly) within seconds of the alien seeing you. It is much faster than you and it was rare for me to escape to a hiding place once spotted. The threat is somewhat diminished when you acquire the flamethrower as a few blasts will force it to flee into the air vents for a few minutes. One reviewer commented that after this the alien became more of a nuisance than a terror. I would partially agree. I think the game would become frustrating if it sustained the very high difficulty of the first few alien encounters for its full 25+ hours, but the flamethrower should not be a ‘get out of jail free’ card. I suggest the developer make a patch to reduce the starting level of fuel for the flamethrower (on the hardest difficulty at least).

The Alien: Many others have already spoken well on the alien AI’s unpredictability so rather than repeat them, I will summarise by saying where you go – so can it. Hiding under a desk or table,: that a smart idea, but do it too often and the alien starts to check under tables and desks. Hiding in an airshaft: usually works, but it can and does use them as well!

The story: Generally good but I really did not like the ending. I will not give any spoilers here – so I will only say that in the 1986 film ‘Aliens’ we are already told Amanda Ripley had a family and eventually died on Earth in relative old age. That should have given the developers the confidence to give their game a stronger and more defined ending with closure rather than leave things hanging for a potential sequel. If they want to do a future sequel – great, but it would be better to start a new story with new characters.

Taken as a whole – I would agree with the PC Gamer score of 93% and say this is a very strong contender for ‘Game of the Year’

PURE EVOKE-1S Luxury Portable DAB/FM Radio - Maple (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough - but stopped working after 2 years, 29 Dec. 2013
It's a nice radio, but after 2 years it simply started to randomly shut itself down. I googled this problem and it seems to be a pretty common fault with Pure radios.

I am inclined to avoid Pure and go for Sony instead

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 Dec. 2012
I ordered this for my mum for Christmas, but with the recent cold snap she's opened it a week early! She says it is excellent and is recommending I get one for myself.

Accurist Pure Precision Men's Automatic Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Brown Leather Strap MS906S

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, stylish, and comparatively inexpensive watch., 25 Nov. 2012
It looks as good as the stock photo, it keeps good time, and the visible clockwork mechanism is pleasing without being distracting - highly recommended, even at full price.

Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by IDSS

4.0 out of 5 stars A very flawed ending, but still excellent, 23 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
There is a lot of controversy about the ending - and in many ways, rightly so. I will avoid spoilers and just say that to me the closing cutscene felt very ill thought out, and the whole 'Reaper' resolution is in need of major fleshing out.

In other ways the of the whole ME3 game *is* an ending.

You do get to make major choices in the game that ME2 built towards, such as trying to promote peace or war between the Geth and Quarrians, and if war, who do you side with? You also get to decide to help cure or cripple the Krogan with all the rights and wrongs argues out by different parties, and these choices do have consequences in the game for those races and relationships with past allies.

A lot happens outside of the last 10 minutes!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3