Profile for Bokhara > Reviews

Content by Bokhara

Bokhara (Oklahoma City, OK)

Gwenevere and the Round Table
Gwenevere and the Round Table
by Wendy Berg

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book like this comes along..., 20 Mar. 2012
Ms. Berg provoked a great deal of thought with her earlier book "Red Tree, White Tree". I began looking over available books on Faery, and came away disgruntled. The authors would describe their perceptions of Faery, which is all well and good,but for a hard shell pragmatist like me, I wanted to be able to experience what they experienced and draw my own conclusions.
Finally someone has written a book chock full of practical workings. A veritable treasure house of ways to approach the Kingdoms of Faery, and see and experience them for myself. Ms. Berg doesn't ask that I become a "true believer" but rather leaves it to me to try these workings and draw my own conclusions. I will be forever in her debt for this.
The book gave me tool after tool to use according to my own skill level. The book provided me with a way to make contact with Faery and walk with them in their lands.
I was left with a deep certainty that God created Faery as an ideal civilization...and Man as an existing civilization. By comparing the two, he can see what needs to be changed in mankind to draw us nearer to His ideal
This author will bare watching in the future to see what treasures flow from her pen to educate us further.

I Called it Magic
I Called it Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly good book!, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: I Called it Magic (Paperback)
It has been 40 some odd years since I phoned L. N. Fowler in England asking advice as to what book (s) I should
read as an erstwhile student of the esoteric. We discussed Dion Fortune and Ernie Butler, then he said "Surely you have this two volume set by a new author, Gareth Knight?" I said "Send them.". Many days later my "care package" arrived and out tumbled the two volume set by Gareth Knight that he had recommended.
To this day Dion Fortune and Gareth Knight are the two writers whose every book sits on my book shelf...well thumbed pages and the occasional coffee smudge notwithstanding, they are my source materials for true , practical knowledge.
In this book, we see a rare glimpse into the thinking and personal reactions to events as told by one of England's "LMS" (Last Men Standing. Gareth survived the dust ups at the Society of Inner Light, and went on to form a formidable group at Hawkwood, a group which still carries much weight in practical magic affairs. His efforts gave birth to various Orders in England, and a whole new generation of adepts; real adepts. His recent forays into the Faery world are just beginning to be fully appreciated for their ground breaking views, and yet he still takes time out to "scribble" (his words , not mine) this quiet look into a life that will soon be seen to stand alongside Dion Fortune as one of England's great contributors to the Esoteric world.
It is my belief that generations from now, adepts will be standing on tiptoes, eyes squinting in the bright light trying to get a glimpse through the skylight of one of the planets great adepts and the many persons still coming around to ask questions or just sit quietly and smile for the happiness of sitting in his presence.

Mystical Qabalah
Mystical Qabalah

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic I still use almost daily., 27 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Mystical Qabalah (Paperback)
Back in the 60's this was the first book I bought on QBL. Later I also bought Gareth Knight's two volume book as a companion. These many years later I still refer to these two books every week. When would be apprentices approach I tell them they need these two books as the stable foundation stones.

Cosmic Doctrine
Cosmic Doctrine

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing book., 27 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
It is saddening to note that this invaluable text was once kept "put away", and the public was denied it's transformative value. All thanks to Gareth Knight for letting this book out to the light of day. In this modern time the "McDonald's occultists" will deride the book as not informing their intellect and no one is there holding their hands as they read etc etc. But those who have eyes to see will take this book to their heart and, I hope, apply it in their meditation, and will see the all but lost art of training the mind (as opposed to informing the intellect) in full force and glory.

Melusine of Lusignan & the Cult of the Faery Woman
Melusine of Lusignan & the Cult of the Faery Woman
by Gareth Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Gareth has added a new height to the aspirations of us all., 27 Dec. 2010
I had no idea who Melusine was...or perhaps I should say "is". Fortunately Gareth's command of medieval French is sufficient to give him the ability to cast Melusine in a modern setting where the ancient beliefs can stand side by side with modern research. I had never considered the possibilities that the Faery could have had such influence in the periods Gareth describes her as active in. When I combine this book with "Red Tree, White Tree" by Wendy Berg, I can truly begin to see the first light of a new dawn rising over England, a new way of thinking about our Faery kin.
Do yourself a favor. Set aside skepticism and read these two books. Then you'll also thank Gareth and Wendy as I have.

Principles of Esoteric Healing
Principles of Esoteric Healing

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful text for one and all., 27 Dec. 2010
We are all very much indebted to Gareth. He braved the incipient "old fogey-ism" that had captured the Society of Inner Light and having stormed the barricades, came away with permission to publish such valuable works as this book. These writings are a treasure not all of the younger occultists will appreciate I fear. However, if you'll read and practice just a few of the things in it you'll soon join me in thanking Gareth for the time and trouble to see this through. There have been those, especially in the U.K. who seemed to have felt they had "gone beyond Dion Fortune."
I say it isn't so.
Thank God Gareth was not one of those whose arrogance dimmed the lights this woman lit for your benefit.

Yours Very Truly - Gareth Knight
Yours Very Truly - Gareth Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Gareth is, indeed, a brave man., 27 Dec. 2010
To publish some 40-50 years of ones personal correspondence takes bravery. In this book we see Gareth's personal opinions and ideas laid bare, not in a way that tires the reader, but in a steadily unfolding display of wit, candor, and literary skill I only wish I had. Esoteric students rarely see "behind the scenes" in esoteric society, much less get to be privy to the conversations one might hear if one were a "fly on the wall". Much to be digested for those with "an eye to see". We can only hope that the autobiography mentioned takes form in the physical quickly, and that the Gods of the keyboard look favorably on us all with several new books in the coming years from Gareth.

Red Tree, White Tree: Faeries and Humans in Partnership
Red Tree, White Tree: Faeries and Humans in Partnership
by Wendy Berg

5.0 out of 5 stars A Startlingly fresh perspective on Faery and Human relations, 27 Nov. 2010
Anyone who has ever been interested in either the Arthurian Tradition or Faery Lore should read this book. Not just read it, but ponder the concepts being explored by Wendy Berg's fresh new outlook. A long time esotericist, Wendy speaks from hands-on experience in the trenches of England's esoteric communities. Everything I have read that she has written has caused me to re-think many of the tired old cliches about Faery, and she challenges the reader to think over and perhaps embrace some new ideas (or ideals) that will shed much light into some of the dark crevices of the academic, not to mention anemic, Arthurian legend.
You've done England a great favor with this book...whether they know it or not.