Profile for halcyonbear > Reviews

The Devil Rides Out
The Devil Rides Out
by Paul O'Grady

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 6 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Devil Rides Out (Paperback)
I'm not usually one for celebrity autobiographies but a few people recommended this one to me. It's told with warmth and humour and details O'Grady's life from his late teens up until he tentatively ventures into the world of professional drag. Laugh out loud in some places, genuinely poignant in others I couldn't put it down. I have ordered the next volume of his autobiographical series.

Thor: Viking God of Thunder (Myths and Legends)
Thor: Viking God of Thunder (Myths and Legends)
by Graeme Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive introduction to the big guy!, 23 July 2017
The book arrived promptly and in good condition. I was aware it was former library stock and was pleased to see it still had its protective plastic book cover.
The book is beautifully illustrated and looks at the ancient god, his myths and also how he inspired Marvel's Thor. I would question a couple of minor points by the author; it is not a one stop shop for information on Thor. However as an introduction for beginners or a colourful addition to any library of mythology I would recommend it.

7 Modes Vibrating Anal Prostate Stimulator ZDGS01U (Black)
7 Modes Vibrating Anal Prostate Stimulator ZDGS01U (Black)
Offered by Webersky

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an amazing gift idea., 8 May 2017
Lorks-a-mussy if I wasn't totally stumped as to what to buy the vicar as a thank you gift for the wonderful send off he gave Great Aunt Euphemia. I had to give it a whirl first (I gave it a wipe down with Dettol before I gave it to him of course) and I have say, if my man minge could talk it would still be singing my praises.
The vicar loves it too. It's very discreet. If he hadn't told me I would have had no idea he had it shoved up his munt all the way through the Girl Guides production of Godspell.

Wings of Love Art Poster Print by S. Pearson, 92x61 cm
Wings of Love Art Poster Print by S. Pearson, 92x61 cm
Offered by Poster Revolution UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal to add sophistication to any home., 1 May 2017
A truly beautiful picture that is so much better than a lot of so-called art. Even though the couple are in the nuddy you can't see his tassel or her downstairs mix-up so I needn't worry about inviting Mother over. I'm off out to buy some Lambrini and Mini Babybel for my cheese and wine evening so my friends from my local art class can admire my beautiful acquisition. I should probably buy a Nana Mouskouri CD to play so my friends will appreciate just how cultured I am.

Rent [DVD] [2006]
Rent [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Rosario Dawson
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars It's White Privilege - The Musical!, 23 April 2017
This review is from: Rent [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Rent has kind of become a sacred cow of the musical theatre world since it first appeared; the Hair or Hamilton of its day. I used to quite like it until I had a conversation at work about it. It tells the story of self-proclaimed "bohemian" artists in New York. They bitch on about being penniless and unable to pay the rent, but it is apparent that in a few cases they are whiny middle class kids who could get out of that situation in a second, but they prefer to upset their parents in the most adolescent way whilst making art of questionable quality. When not doing this they love to bitch about their landlord, one of the few black guys in the story, a self made man whereas they are rich white kids playing poor artists. In the source material, the opera La Boheme, the artists are forced to burn their art for warmth. In this, the pretentious little douchebags do so as some form of statement (probably about how the world doesn't understand them).
SPOILER
When one of the likable characters dies another character has a vision of her. All they can think to say is she "looked beautiful". Nothing about the fact she was one of the few charitable people in the story.
Individual songs are admittedly good, it's just a shame they are stuck in a story about mostly horrible, self-interested people.

Tartanista Black Watch 5 Yard 10 oz Scottish Highland KILT 50
Tartanista Black Watch 5 Yard 10 oz Scottish Highland KILT 50
Offered by Tartanista UK

5.0 out of 5 stars so it's probably not going to be as fantastic quality as a kilt costing a few hundred pounds, 23 April 2017
OK, so it's probably not going to be as fantastic quality as a kilt costing a few hundred pounds, but the quality exceeds what I would've expected for the price. It's adjustable to give a few extra inches around the waist. I wore it on a staff night out and it looked great. It can be worn formally or casually. I quite often wear a kilt and this is one of the better ones I own.

MISS - E - JEWELS TM Antique Ornate Wolf Face Thor's Hammer SOWILO ALGIZ ANSUZ PERTHRO EIHWAZ Rune Pendant Necklace Ladies Mens Viking Norse (Nordic Wolf)
Offered by Miss - E - Jewels

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this. It's not heavy but certainly not lightweight, 23 April 2017
Absolutely love this. It's not heavy but certainly not lightweight. It arrived really quickly. I love the stylised design. I will be replacing the cord it is on but I do that with any necklace I buy. For fans of wolves/Viking style design, this would be a great addition to your jewellery collection. A great necklace for anyone, but for a man it is a good choice.

Let's Get One Thing Straight I'm Not Mens Funny Unisex T-Shirt-XX-Large-Maroon
Let's Get One Thing Straight I'm Not Mens Funny Unisex T-Shirt-XX-Large-Maroon
Offered by Daytripper_Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shirt., 22 April 2017
I wanted a good quality T-shirt to wear for my stand up act. It is amazing value for money and fits very nicely.

Odin: The Viking Allfather (Myths and Legends)
Odin: The Viking Allfather (Myths and Legends)
by Steven Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...but not perfect., 22 April 2017
All in all quite a good book. It's beautifully illustrated in full colour.
HOWEVER, there are one or two points where I feel conjecture by the author has crept in at the expense of accuracy, speaking as someone who is very familiar with Norse mythology. It has possibly been written with a wide age range of readership in mind. Simplifications and omissions might have been down to making the book accessible to younger readers.
It's enjoyable but certainly isn't a one stop shop for all you might want to know about the story of Odin. Older readers who are genuinely interested in learning more about Odin should definitely read other books on the subject.

Norse Mythology: A Guide To Ancient Viking Religion and Beliefs
Norse Mythology: A Guide To Ancient Viking Religion and Beliefs
by Dustin Yarc

1.0 out of 5 stars For those interested in the spiritual side will find A Practical Heathens Guide To Asatru infinitely more valuable than this pap, 25 Mar. 2017
Where do I begin on how disappointing this book is? This slim book is not worth the money I paid for it. The author doesn't bring any new insight to the subject matter. It is ideas and opinions regurgitated from elsewhere. My advice would be to invest in copies of The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris and Neil Gaiman's recent retelling of Norse Mythology instead. I picked each of those for less than I paid for this pamphlet. For those interested in the spiritual side will find A Practical Heathens Guide To Asatru infinitely more valuable than this paperback embodiment of disappointment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3