Profile for S.R. > Reviews

Content by S.R.

S.R. (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kim (Oxford World's Classics)
Kim (Oxford World's Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars No wonder Kipling was a Nobel Laureate, 13 Jun. 2017
Best Kipling I have ever read, apart from Just So Stories and The Jungle Book, and helped enormously by the introduction and valuable notes. You wouldn't think it was written over a century ago. It is so compelling.

Kim (Vintage Classics)
Kim (Vintage Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars No helpful notes!, 20 May 2017
Perfectly good in itself, but would have been very helpful to have an introduction and notes.

Aquarius Sitz Bath - Personal Portable Bidet Plastic Washing Bowl For Intimate Hygiene Cleaning
Offered by Aquarius Hygiene

5.0 out of 5 stars ... too creaky to get out of the bath very easily. It was just what I wanted, 29 April 2017
I bought this for use while our shower was being refurbished as I'm too creaky to get out of the bath very easily. It was just what I wanted, good quality and design, especially the over-flow holes at the back. Not the cheapest, but comfortable and well worth the money. I have put it away for future eventualities, when I am sure it will come into its own again, and I'll be glad to have it ready in case of sudden need.

The Heir of Redclyffe (Wordsworth Classics)
The Heir of Redclyffe (Wordsworth Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars An undiscovered gem, 13 May 2016
I came upon this book by chance and am so glad I did - a surprisingly moving and compelling read.

Tisserand Lavender Wheat Cushion
Tisserand Lavender Wheat Cushion

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 17 Mar. 2016
I bought this product because I have long trusted the Tisserand brand and I have not been disappointed. It is well made. The fabric is not too soft, but feels nice against the skin and I like the long shape, broken up into three sections, which prevents the grains of wheat from accumulating at one end. Very happy with it and worth spending a little bit more than some alternatives.

Ocado
Ocado

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best apps I've got on my Kindle Fire, 6 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Ocado (App)
Quicker, easier and more convenient! One of the best apps I've got on my Kindle Fire.

Testament of Youth: An Autobiographical Study Of The Years 1900-1925
Testament of Youth: An Autobiographical Study Of The Years 1900-1925

5.0 out of 5 stars Resonates with today's uncertainties about Syria, 7 Dec. 2015
First read this after the television adaptation maybe 25 years ago. It was one of those books I intended to keep forever, but I'd forgotten why. Now, on re-reading it, I know why, and I'm not even half-way through yet. It wasn't published until Vera Brittain was about 33, so she is looking back to her teenage years and the young woman she was in her first year year at Oxford as the First World War broke out. The social history it conveys is fascinating, as well as the insight into the feelings of those young men and women of the time who had never experienced anything like such a war, either as a soldier or a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment, which is what she became, putting her university studies on hold. Her brother died in the conflict, as did his close friend, who was also her first true love. With poetry, extracts from her diaries and beautifully written prose, it is well worth reading. Some reviewers have said it was hard work, but not for me.

Fear of Flying
Fear of Flying

4.0 out of 5 stars Be your own person, it's the only way., 21 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Fear of Flying (Kindle Edition)
When this book was first published I was about the same age as the narrator. Maybe I should have read it then, although looking back with a more life-experienced eye is fascinating. I am more of a feminist now than ever, and found this a compelling read - apart from a surfeit of sexual slang! Be your own person, say to the world "this is who I am", and remember you are part of the flow of life.

Superga MOCCASIN 2311-FABRICFANPLU Leisure UNISEX
Superga MOCCASIN 2311-FABRICFANPLU Leisure UNISEX
Offered by NANAROSSA

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejuvenating footwear, 11 Sept. 2015
Just right. My daughter says they take years off me!

BBC iPlayer Radio for Tablet
BBC iPlayer Radio for Tablet

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing. I much prefer the previous BBC iPlayer ..., 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: BBC iPlayer Radio for Tablet (App)
Very disappointing. I much prefer the previous BBC iPlayer Radio which allowed me to save my podcasts.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3