Profile for Ben23 > Reviews

ANSIO 94610 Interior Dehumidifier, 500 ml, Pack of 5
ANSIO 94610 Interior Dehumidifier, 500 ml, Pack of 5
Offered by ANSIO Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for damp cupboards, 22 May 2017
I had a ridiculous problem with damp in some of my kitchen cupboards. Some of them just smelled damp when you opened the door, in others it was so bad that my saucepans were going mouldy.
These things are great for that kind of use - drying out a small enclosed space. I stationed 4 of them in the mouldy cupboard (double sized one) because I wanted the problem dealt with asap (I also thoroughly disinfected the cupboard first, and washed up everything that was in it, so that there was no extant mould - I had tried that before too, but without the dehumidifiers the mould soon returned), and 1 in another cupboard that just smelled of damp. Within a couple of weeks the damp smell had gone from both cupboards. They lasted a surprisingly long time, it was about 4 months before all the crystals had turned to liquid. Best of all, NO MORE MOULDY SAUCEPANS!

You can probably buy the crystals that go in these things more cheaply, but it's a pretty nasty chemical - I like these because the chemical is safely contained and sealed behind a membrane, which is good when being used in proximity to food preparation stuff...

When my first batch of 5 ran out, I bought another load immediately, to maintain protection of the kitchen cupboards and to put in other damp areas in my house...

Bailsy Camera Strap Bohemia Shoulder Neck Universal Camcorder Belt Strap for All DSLR Camera Nikon Canon Sony Olympus Samsung Pentax Fujifilm colorful
Offered by baisy

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels and looks good, 21 May 2017
I love the colours, and it feels soft and very comfortable. There's a little bit of "give" to it unlike most straps, it makes it feel more natural and comfortable whether worn on the shoulder or neck.

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 Lens - Silver
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 Lens - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portrait lens, 9 May 2017
A great, well-made and good value lens.
Has the nicest, creamiest bokeh of any of my lenses. So much better than the Panny 25mm f/1.7 which has a nasty "doubling up" effect in the bokeh. This one is completely smooth and dreamy.
Also just seems to produce nice portraits generally. Skin tones I get with this lens just seem more natural somehow than almost any other lens I've tried.
It doesn't focus very close, so no good for macro. Really this is a portrait lens and not much else, but at that, it excels.
It does looks a bit ridiculously small on a DSLR-style body like my G80. More suited to a rangefinder-style body I suspect. If you care about that sort of thing.
One thing I have noticed is that the aperture can be quite noisy. Of course most of the time you'll be shooting this wide open or nearly, but if you do have cause to stop down, you may find that it produces quite an alarming clicking noise when it's adjusting the aperture. Might be an issue if using it for video in an auto-aperture mode...
Overall, very happy with it.

Professional Waterproof Burglar - proof DSLR Camera Bag Camcorder Shoulder Backpack Bag for Men and Women(M)
Offered by VELIMI88

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made bag, very well padded, but not very flexible internals, 9 May 2017
My quest for the perfect camera bag continues...

This one has a lot going for it. The padding on all sides is excellent. There's an extra padded compartment for a tablet or small laptop which is only accessible from the back (that's the "burglar-proof" bit, I guess). The back padding seems quite ergonomic, the shoulder straps are comfortable. There's a built-in rain cover. The main compartment has a ton of space for camera kit - you can load it up with a large DSLR and long zoom going vertically, and have 6-8 further cubbyholes for lenses and other bits.

The problem is, there is less flexibility in how to subdivide that main space than you might expect. If you are going to fill it all up with camera kit, and you have enough kit to fill it up, then fine. But what I really wanted was to fill half of it with camera stuff, then have the other half be a single compartment for something like a raincoat and some lunch. But you can't do that.

First of all, in most camera bags with velcro dividers, they cover the dividers (and the inside of the bag) in the kind of soft material that velcro sticks to, so that you can attach the dividers' velcro strips any way you want, to the bag and/or each other. These ones however are covered with a non-stick material instead. They have sewn on strips of fluffy stuff in certain places, and these are the only places you can attach the velcro-equipped dividers. I cannot fathom why they've done this - it makes it much less flexible, and many of the bindings are less secure because they're only attached in two places where the velcro crosses these strips, instead of along the whole length of the velcro.

There are two central vertical supports that run most of the way up the rucksack before splaying outwards to make the camera compartment. Although these are movable/removable in theory, in practice there's only one place they can go and everything else attaches to them so you have to have them in that place.

The camera area is really too big for any camera, and is symmetrical despite the fact that most cameras are not, so it wastes space and doesn't tend to hold the camera securely, although there are also two pieces of velcro-ended elastic that you can position to help with this. Also the whole weight of the camera and all the other kit is borne by these two vertical foam supports. They aren't particularly strong to cope with this, and mine are starting to bend.

A few other things seem good but are not quite optimal. For example, the front pocket is subdivided into lots of smaller pockets, which is great, but these are kinda loose and have no closures, so it seems like things will tend to fall out of them easily, and there are none of a sensible size to hold batteries or memory cards securely.

There are two zippable pockets on the inside of the main compartment, but they have metal zips which could scratch your camera kit. There are little pockets at the end of the zips that you can tuck the zips into, which reduces the danger but makes them hard to unzip again!

There are two side pockets with tighteners that you can fit a bottle of water or the bottom of a tripod in - great! - but for a tripod you need to have an additional strap to secure it further up. This bag does have such straps, but you need to undo them to access the main part of the bag, and thus risk your tripod falling out every time you do so...

On the bright side, as I said this bag is extremely well padded, looks robust, the zips are chunky, the parts generally look of good quality, the carrying straps are also well padded and seem secure. I like the ability to open up the top to get your camera out while the bag is vertical, without undoing the straps or having to open the whole lens compartment and risk lenses falling out. I like the webbing on the main compartment door so that if you do have a lens fall out while it's open, it will be caught. Though I'm less keen that this can't be overridden - there's no way to fully open the door and keep it out of the way when you have the bag flat.

If you have a need to carry a whole load of camera equipment (and optionally a tablet/netbook) *and nothing else*, then this bag is brilliant and will probably suit your needs. But I (and I think most people) need a rucksack to be more versatile than that, able to carry both camera stuff and general hiking stuff. This bag is so close, and yet so far. My search continues...

AR'S T-300 Egyptian Cotton Sateen Quality Extra Deep 16"/40cm Fitted Sheet (Double, Navy)
Offered by AR TEXTILE

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice feel for the price, 9 May 2017
I bought a 200-count cotton duvet elsewhere set to go with this, you can definitely tell the difference, this sheet has a much softer feel. Nice to have the deeper sides too, it easily stretches over my Sleeping Duck which is a thick mattress. It is only elasticated in the corners, so I do find it needs to be pulled taut again from time to time, but no big deal for me. Decent quality for the price.

Sunshine Comforts® 200 Thread Count Quilt Duvet Cover Set 100% Egyption Cotton 8 Colors All Sizes (Double, Royal Blue)
Offered by sunshinecomforts

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good for the price, 9 May 2017
It's not exactly a quality soft cotton, though after a few washes it does soften a bit. Doubtful that it's really "Egyptian cotton", it certainly doesn't feel like my other EC stuff, but you'd be mad to expect the real deal at this price.
The royal blue colour is quite a bit darker than it seemed in the picture. Still a nice colour, but would have preferred a bit lighter.
It doesn't exactly have a luxury feel to it, but if your expectations are realistic for the price point then you won't be disappointed.

JJC replacement Olympus LH-61E Lens Hood for Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 lens
Offered by Cameramarket UK

2.0 out of 5 stars It's huge, and mine had a defect, 9 May 2017
Olympus hoods are horribly overpriced, and I have a JJC hood on another lens which is fine.

Unfortunately I didn't take care to check where the seller was dispatching from, and it turned out that the one I selected dispatched from China. I had to wait nearly a month until it finally arrived, in a crushed box, with what appears to be a chip missing from the outer edge. On closer inspection I don't think this is damage in transit but is actually a manufacturing defect - it looks like it happened while the plastic was still molten. So they sent it out like that. Doesn't really affect operation, but still, not good enough. And because it came from China it's not economic to send it back.

Also, a word of caution about the size of this thing. This is a truly huge hood relative to the physical size of the lens - it increases the retracted length of the lens by about 50%, and its diameter by about 40%. I usually keep a hood on each of my lenses at all times to help protect its front element, but I'm disinclined to do so with this one just because it makes it so big and cumbersome (and crappy looking). And if I'm only going to use this hood when needed, I might as well get a retracting rubber hood instead of this big hunk of plastic pointlessly taking up space valuable space in the camera bag (plus retractable hoods are actually cheaper!)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Camera (24.2 MP, AF-P 18-55VR Lens Kit, 3 inch LCD Screen) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first DSLR, 20 April 2017
Bought this camera a year ago, it was my first DSLR (I had a film SLR many years ago, but only ever had a compact digital since), and it totally rekindled my love of photography. Very capable little camera with great image quality, ideal as a first DSLR. The JPEG engine is excellent: although I shot RAW+JPEG most of the time, I very, very rarely felt the need to use the RAWs, as the JPEGs straight out of camera were so good once I had the picture settings tuned to my liking. Battery life is very good - I never bothered to switch it off while out and about with it, as it uses so little power in standby mode. The rear screen is good. If you're a complete n00b there's a Guide mode to give you tips for shooting in different situations though personally I never used that.
Downsides: It's definitely a stills camera, I never got good video performance out of it (the contrast-based focusing in live view is slow and unreliable, effectively useless in low light, whereas the phase-based focusing in normal stills mode is excellent and very fast). And I came to wish that it had exposure bracketing. Those things pushed me to upgrade. But I've passed the D3300 on to my 12yo son, and he's getting excellent pics from it (with minimal instruction from me) having never used a proper camera before.

Galaxy S7 Case, Spigen® [Rugged Armor] Galaxy S7 Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design for Samsung Galaxy S7 2016 - Black - (555CS20007)
Offered by Spigen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2017
Very robust protection for your S7, and looks great. I've had cases like this on other phones in the past where they caused overheating, but hasn't been a problem with this one. The only issue I've found is that the health sensor (heartrate etc) doesn't seem to work very well with it on, so if you want to use that regularly it might be an issue, but personally I don't use it anyway.

Panasonic H-H025E-S 25 mm/F1.7 ASPH Lens - Silver
Panasonic H-H025E-S 25 mm/F1.7 ASPH Lens - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lens for the price, but the silver variant looks bad, 20 April 2017
Not a bad lens for the price, but the silver one just looks terrible - immediately screams cheap and tacky (very different from the silver Olympus lenses) - I immediately returned it and got a black one instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4