Profile for R. Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Cold Comfort Farm
Cold Comfort Farm

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully quirky, 8 July 2017
This review is from: Cold Comfort Farm (Kindle Edition)
An absolutely delightful read that satisfied my taste for the bizarre. Magnificently quirky characters spattered with insane neologism that paints wonderfully vivid pictures in the mind.

1 in 4: Naming the Beast: Volume 1
1 in 4: Naming the Beast: Volume 1
by Mr. Francesco Mafrici

5.0 out of 5 stars A step into the darkness, 18 May 2017
Terrific, evocative artwork, beautifully drawn. Can't wait for volume two

The Understudy
The Understudy

4.0 out of 5 stars A great deal to enjoy, 1 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Understudy (Kindle Edition)
While The Understudy is nowhere near Mr Nicholls beautifully written "One Day" and doesn't quite reach the heights of "Us" or "Starter for Ten" it is still an excellent read. The storyline charts the flagging career of actor Stephen McQeen (no, with a ph), his failed marriage, and his relationship with the world's 12th sexiest guy, with wit and warmth. Narrative and dialogue are, as you would expect from Nicholls, fluid and flawless, his characters well sculpted and believable (think Simon Pegg as McQueen). And while this didn't break my heart as "One Day" did, or have me laughing uproariously like "Starter for Ten" there is pathos and a great deal to enjoy in this story.

Huion H610 Pro Graphics Drawing Pen Tablet with Hot Keys Compatible with Windows Mac
Offered by HUION

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 1 Jun. 2016
This is an excellent value tablet when compared to the price of the market leader Wacom's offers. At £60 it was worth a punt, or so I thought. I'm left with the feeling that I may have wasted my money rather than saved money by not buying a Wacom tablet. I'm a professional graphic designer using a Mac and primarily bought the Huion H610 Pro as a mouse rather than a drawing pad. I needed a larger tablet because I have three screens and the resolution of my A5 tablet was too small for the desktop real estate. Small movements on the pad translated into big movements on the screen. The Huion solved all that. It was easily configurable to take into account the screen real estate and for a while I was very happy. It has an excellent surface, and I really like the rechargeable pen, but.... for some reason it doesn't seem to work properly when using modifier keys.

For instance pressing shift and clicking objects in Adobe Illustrator would normally select all the objects clicked. The Huion doesn't do this. Click and drag is peculiar too. In Illustrator when duplicating an object using the alt-click-drag method the focus jumps back to the first object rather than staying with the duplicated object. And sometimes, clicking in the toolbox does not change the tool.

Oh, and one other thing. If you've hidden your dock, pushing your pen to the bottom of the screen won't register. So you won't be able to make it pop up again without changing the prefs.

The tablet behaves better using Indesign and Photoshop so my gripes may have nothing to do with the tablet and maybe a lot to do with Illustrator CS6. But for a tablet designed as a drawing tool compatible with Macs it's 10-1 on that a designer is going to be using Illustrator. maybe I'm being unfair, maybe the H610 Pro is designed for a less well kitted-up user. If so Huion, don't add the word Pro to the product name.

BRITA Torlan 3-Way Water Filter Tap
BRITA Torlan 3-Way Water Filter Tap
Offered by smart shoping

2.0 out of 5 stars Belfast sink owners beware, 1 Jun. 2016
Bought this tap largely because of the free fitting service. Phoned and went through a huge list of questions: name, post code, address, inside leg measurement... only to fall at the last hurdle. I have a Belfast sink. Apparently they won't fit it as the work surface has to come off too, and their fitters are not insured for that. (An absolute load of twaddle. My local plumber fitted it in just over half an hour, without touching the work surface or the sink.) When I complained that I'd been attracted by the free fitting their answer was "sorry, they couldn't do anything about that." Not really the answer I expected from a huge company like Brita. I kept the tap as I couldn't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of returning it. It works well enough. A bit on the small side and the replacement filters are expensive. I won't be buying from Brita again.

Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin, 70 cl
Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin, 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but not forgotten, 1 Jun. 2016
An interesting and complex mix of flavours. Works well in a Martini, but use a forgiving Vermouth such as Lillet Blanc as others I've tried had flavours that competed with the spice flavours of the gin. I could really only find one thing wrong with Opihr Gin. It doesn't last very long! I will buy again. Oh. I already did.

Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)
Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting less, 2 May 2016
I thought this might be a good read as it had some pretty good reviews. I can only conclude that they were written by the author's friends and family. I found the story trite, and the writing lumpen. I could find nothing in it that I could recommend, or indeed induce me to finish the book.

Blazing Saddles (30th anniversary edition) [DVD] [1974]
Blazing Saddles (30th anniversary edition) [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Cleavon Little

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every minute, 18 Oct. 2005
I first saw this film in the cinema in 1974 and found myself on my knees between the seat, tears running down my cheeks and gasping for breath. No, I hadn't been mugged - this film was sooooo funny that I was literally helpless with laughter. 30 years on and I still find the film a hugely enjoyable romp. This was Brooks at his funniest with belly laughs from beginning to end.
Classic Comedy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 8:33 AM BST

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow [1978] [DVD]
Snake In The Eagle's Shadow [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jackie Chan
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Chan fans, 18 Oct. 2005
Classic Kung Fu from a very young Jackie Chan. The storyline is a formularic tale of rivalry between two schools of Kung-Fu, on one hand the proponents of the snake fist school of fighting, the other school favouring the Eagle's claw. The fight scenes are not quite so breath-taking as modern Kung Fu films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, nor as spectacularly clever as later Chan directed fights but the script is hilariously tongue in cheek and bears watching time and time again.

Eric Clapton: Unplugged [DVD] [2000] [NTSC]
Eric Clapton: Unplugged [DVD] [2000] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Eric Clapton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - as far as it goes, 18 Oct. 2005
I've been using Eric Clapton unplugged for a few months as the basis for learning guitar. And it's good - as far as it goes. Notation is accurate, the tablature is clear with some interesting descriptive text. But not all the songs are complete, notably Layla, which was a huge disappointment. But that said, the book is great value and I have learned a lot from it.

Page: 1 | 2