Profile for Lesley > Reviews

Content by Lesley

Lesley (County Durham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Free Your Voice-the Spasmodic Dysphonia Recovery System
Free Your Voice-the Spasmodic Dysphonia Recovery System

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book that I have read on Spasmodic Dysphonia, 29 May 2015
I am so thankful to Jeroen for writing this book and that I found it. He starts off by relating his experience of having Spasmodic Dysphonia and, as I read, I was heartened to know that someone else understood what I am going through, and even happier to know that there are things I can do to recover my voice, instead of being told that what I have is incurable.

Jeroen gives a wealth of practical advice. Find him on YouTube for demonstrations of the exercises he recommends in his book, though Jeroen says not to look upon them as 'exercises' but as having fun. That is exactly what I am doing and I can already feel a difference in that I am straining much less in order to speak. It can only get better ... yay!

This book would benefit people with all sorts of voice disorders. For me, it has been money well spent. Thank you Jeroen!

The Ghost House (The Annie Graham series, Book 1)
The Ghost House (The Annie Graham series, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I dislike giving poor reviews, 12 Jan. 2015
I dislike giving poor reviews, but I didn't like this book at all. It felt like I was reading a school essay and I didn't want to waste my time reading on after the first few pages. Kudos to the author for realising her dream by writing her book and getting it published, but I'm afraid that the only valuable exercise in reading this would be to take note on how not to write a book.

How To Stop Drinking Alcohol: A Simple Path From Alcohol Misery to Alcohol Mastery

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 2 Jan. 2015
I am so glad that the author made the decision to stop drinking alcohol. That initial decision led him to write this book and it is going to help many people. I love this book! I love how Kevin O'Hara writes in a concise way, with no waffle. I can relate to his no-nonsense manner and feel comfortable with that. I like to be told it straight, and he does just that.

The author writes about the mindset you need to develop to give up drinking and tells us the one thing that we need to do to be able to do so. Sounds simple ... and it is, and with the philosophy behind drinking and giving up drinking that the author speaks about, it also makes great sense.

The biggest thing that came out of the book for me is that drinking or not drinking is completely under my own control. I am not in the grip of a disease or a demon spirit, nor am I a slave to my genes. What a relief knowing that I don't need to accept my situation and that I have the power to change it.

I was gripped by this book and quickly read it in 2 days, but it is not a book for just one reading. I intend to read it again and again and look to it for constant encouragement. I have also highlighted many passages that I could particularly identify with and there are also many good quotes by the author that I am in the process of printing out and pinning on my wall, so I can re-read them whenever I want.

What an excellent book! I'm just about to start my second reading.

Fushi Neti Pot Nasal sinus cleansing
Fushi Neti Pot Nasal sinus cleansing
Offered by Fushi Wellbeing - UK's Leading Ethical Wellbeing and Beauty Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little pot, 12 Dec. 2014
What a great little pot. It's just the right size and is easy to handle because of its design (it has indentations where you hold it). I make up a pint of the solution, i.e. a pint of boiled water left to cool, 1 teaspoon of salt (I find that fine sea salt is better), 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda. This pot allows you to use enough solution at each cleansing. The solution that is left can be stored at room temperature to be used within a couple of days. Excellent value for money.

The Unquiet House
The Unquiet House

5.0 out of 5 stars A deliciously atmospheric ghost story with a twist!, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Unquiet House (Kindle Edition)
For me, this is one of those books that I am sorry when I come to the end of it. I loved it! I enjoy novels about houses and the history of the people who live in them, especially when it's a ghost story. The Unquiet House is written in four parts. It begins in the present, then goes back to two previous time periods and concludes in the present. A previous reviewer said that the structure of the novel was 'messy', but I don't agree. I like this form. Sarah Waters used this technique with The Night Watch and, I believe, that Alison Littlewood has employed the technique just as successfully as Ms. Waters did. As well as the form of the story, I enjoyed the detail that the author used in her writing - the smells, the sounds, touch and visual description, and the historical detail was convincing. For three days (that's how quickly I got through the story) I felt that I was in Mire House in Yorkshire. I also found the way the author wrote the local dialect easy to follow. It wasn't overused - just enough to be authentic. I was taken aback at the outcome of the story in part four. It wasn't what I expected and I thought it was a clever and original twist. I can imagine this story being made into a film, the kind of ghost story that is especially shown over Christmas. I bought this book on my kindle because it kept popping up in my recommendations. Having now read it, I will definitely be reading other books by Alison Littlewood. Thanks to the author for a most enjoyable story!

The Ripper Code
The Ripper Code

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good story!, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Ripper Code (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most entertaining crime novels I’ve read in a long time. It’s fast-paced and kept me turning the pages. Thanks to the author, my own work has been totally neglected for the past few days while I’ve been reading his novel!

The early chapters introduce us to the main characters followed by lots of action, leading up to an exciting finale which is left open, leading me to believe that there will be a sequel. I hope so and can’t wait to read about what further evil the villain will bring about and how Max somehow gets involved.

It’s a cracking good story with well-written characters, especially that of Max who, despite his flaws and the mistakes he makes (which are many!), I found him to be a likeable person – caring, witty and very funny. He had me laughing out loud a few times.

I found the numerology fascinating. The only thing that did niggle me was the comparison of Wicca to the dark arts and Satan worship, with their sacrifices, etc. Wicca is a religion that reveres life and has nothing at all to do with the dark arts. However, that’s a minor point. I enjoyed this novel so much that I hope the author will write a Max-inspired series. In fact, he’s as fascinating a detective as all the popular ones we see on television and, therefore, should have his own show!

I’m looking forward to reading lots more from this author.

The Ultimate Guide To Waking Up Early - How to Start Your Day at the Crack of Dawn and Transform Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read!, 22 May 2014
I'm go glad I read this book. It's not quite as simple as 'go to bed earlier - get up earlier'. The author gives a plan and advice on how to do this by stages so that it becomes an ingrained habit and a way of re-setting your body clock. This avoids sudden changes leading to failure. I've had problems with getting to sleep for years and I always thought that the common-sense solutions were too simplistic to be taken seriously, preferring to rely on medication and alcohol to help get me to sleep. You learn over time that these methods are not ideal. I took the author's advice on board about cutting down on tea and coffee (hope to eliminate it altogether eventually) and drinking lots of water instead (flavoured with fresh lime and/or lemon juice) and I'm finding that this is really helping me to fall into a natural sleep. I never thought that anything so easy could work! I'm also beginning to prefer my flavoured water to tea and coffee.

This book is a quick, easy and pleasant read. I've gone through it briefly once, and will read it again in more detail until I can put all of the author's advice into practice and become the morning person that I always wanted to be. Thanks to the author for the motivation and trusted guidance.

The Undertaker's Cabinet
The Undertaker's Cabinet

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric page-turner!, 14 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and found it to be a page-turner. I liked the characters very much and so I needed to know what was going to happen to them. I particularly liked Tom and Bobby, who run the undertaker's business, and the dialogue between them is enjoyable and believable (they sound just like my sons!). Jacobs, the villain ...booo... hisss ... was well-written too and I got a clear picture of him in my head, the slimy so-and-so.

I liked how the author created the Victorian atmosphere in the 19th Century parts of the story and then quite easily switched to an authentic modern voice in the present day parts. He also writes the macabre excellently, so vivid that I felt I was an onlooker during the final scene. There was just enough technical detail, too, of the undertaker's tools and duties to satisfy curious readers like myself.

My only criticisms are that, after all Bobby had gone through, I would have liked to have seen some hint of him tackling his alcohol problem instead of heading off to the off-licence. I liked his character and was disappointed to think that he would continue along this route to self-destruction. There were also a few typos near the end of the story that could have been fixed by more careful editing, but these didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story.

I like this author and I will be reading more of his books, and I hope he continues to write many more.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be without it!, 11 May 2014
Having loved to read books ever since I was old enough to hold one myself, I never thought I would ever find myself reading stories from a piece of hard plastic. I'm not embarrassed to admit, however, that my kindle is up amongst the best things I have ever treated myself to. I would never want to be without it now. What I most like about this model is that it is purely for reading. It has no other functions, e.g. games and/or internet on it to distract me, and that is what I wanted. I love how convenient it is. I can download all the novels I want and carry them all around with me. It's also so easy to use. When I read a paper book in bed, I need to prop it against hubby's back for support whereas my kindle is so light that I can hold it in one hand, leaving my other free to sip my bedtime cuppa .... well, what did you think! The kindle is also compact and the buttons easy to press while reading. I've had my kindle for a few months now, without any problems and the battery is quickly and easily re-charged. I love my kindle and it's become a part of my daily life.

Truths
Truths

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and beautifully written story., 6 May 2014
This review is from: Truths (Kindle Edition)
What a beautifully written story! The author writes about a woman, Jen, who works as a tour guide in prison museum in 2008 and the parallel story of Elizabeth Cooper, a prisoner in 1808, who is condemned to hang. The story of Jen is a romance between her and Aly and, was for me, a good insight into how people in their situation might feel and act. The author portrays the characters as not perfect, but human in their failings and they come across as believable and likeable. I found Elizabeth's story gripping and was almost moved to tears in parts. I enjoyed how the historical story was woven into the modern-day one and how both Elizabeth and Jen worked out the solution to their own particular truths. The title is very apt for the theme of 'truth' that runs throughout the novel. I'll be reading more of this author's books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3