Profile for A Brook > Reviews

The Wolf of Wall Street [DVD] [2013]
The Wolf of Wall Street [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 boring hours, 7 Jun. 2014
My wife wanted to watch this, not me, I knew what it would be like and I was right.

It's basically 3 hours of people who are total bell ends getting drunk, high and shagging with some typical money motivational speeches thrown in and a look what I have got attitude.

It is awful. Avoid it.

2 Guns [DVD]
2 Guns [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by MusicnMedia

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 Boring Guns, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 2 Guns [DVD] (DVD)
I paid to watch this on Sky last night. I wish I had not!

I like the two main actors in most things I have seen them in...but

The plot is tired and boring, Wahlberg spends virtually every scene chewing gum like a 10 year old and the story is tired and dull. Both the main actors try and joke and be buddies but it all feels really worked at and not natural at all..

I started flicking through a magazine halfway through as it was so dull...

The film is basically a light hearted buddy action flick. but it has been done much better countless times before.

Avoid.

Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring, 16 Jun. 2013
The latest incarnation of superman is out. It's not a bad film, but I have to say I agree with others in that you feel you have seen it all before, and recently too.

There is lots of fast moving action sequences and lots of buildings collapsing. But I felt that the film lacked emotion and heart and instead became a modern cgi action adventure. I wanted more like i got with the Batman re imagining and hope the inevitable follow up will be better.

A solid 3 stars

Ted: Extended Edition [DVD]
Ted: Extended Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Bridge_Records

1.0 out of 5 stars Mila Kunis, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ted: Extended Edition [DVD] (DVD)
is the only reason this even gets one star. She is beautiful. I would watch any film she was in.

that aside this film wants to be funny, it tries......it fails.

St George's Day [DVD]
St George's Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frank Harper
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised at this film..., 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: St George's Day [DVD] (DVD)
I managed to negotiate Sky movies free for 1 month recently. I trawled through the schedule and watched as many films as I could to get my monies worth so to speak.

One of the films was this, St George's Day. I laughed to myself when I read the synopsis and prepared myself for a Danny Dyer esque romp...

I realised quickly that this is actually a pretty decent film.

Its rare to be surprised with a film like this so thanks Sky.... 4 stars

Arrow - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Arrow - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Stephen Amell
Offered by produXa UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Its not bad..., 8 May 2013
I have been watching Arrow for a while now and to be honest its not a bad show, its just not a very good one. It has interesting elements to it, but gets a bit repetitive after a while. I was watching it one night and was humming the old Batman theme... it was subconscious.

when I thought about it, Arrow is basically Batman.

in summary its a good show to pass the time, but its not gripping or clever or original in any way.

3 stars seems about right.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 5:37 PM BST

The Following - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
The Following - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Kevin Bacon
Offered by MediaMine

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts Really Well...., 3 May 2013
I was very excited when I saw the trailer for this series a while back, I love this type of idea / story / TV generally.

Ep 1 was really very good, but I am afraid that if episode 1 was a 10 out of 10 rating, then the following episodes gradually go down in rating until the series reaches a low of around 4 out of 10.

As I said, the opening episode was gripping stuff, graphic, dark and intriguing. The premise of the story was very good idea (you will know the basic story by now) and I was interested to see how it played out. Unfortunately the episodes got clunkier and lost my interest with tedious goings on and some really poor decision making by the FBI (like 1 or 2 people going into situations that surely require a SWAT team!)

I thought Kevin Bacon was the best thing about it. I liked James Purefoy initially but after about 3 or 4 episodes he turns into a lovey actor that is annoying and comical in equal measure. You really needed to find him scary or menacing, but I found him to be neither of these and one of his followers, Emma was probably the scariest person in the show.

It is set up for a second season (aren't they always!) and I would watch it. I just hope its more focused and interested than what is essentially several kidnap stories one after the other.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 9:40 AM GMT

The Hutch
The Hutch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Effort, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Hutch (Audio CD)
I bought this on its UK release date and have been listening to it ever since. Its a great record that shows a naturally progression and maturity from the last LP "All is Chaos" which was a very good album too.

The young lads from Belgium have trumped their last effort (its really a 4.5 review) and I look forward to hearing more from them. i get the feeling that in an album or two's time they will reach their full potential and be a big name (as bad as it is) in the post rock / metal circles.

The band seem to manage to blend Mastodon, Isis and GSYBE to great effect. There is emotion and riffs in abundance and lovely moments of post rock style sound-scapes in the vein of Russian Circles type stuff.

All in all I highly recommend this band.

Watch Me
Watch Me
by A. J. Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Watch Me (Paperback)
This is not worth your time or money I am afraid. Boring and unlikely. The story drifts around with no real feel for anyone or anything..... It wants to be good but it fails.

All Is Chaos
All Is Chaos

4.0 out of 5 stars Elements of everything I like, 21 April 2013
This review is from: All Is Chaos (Audio CD)
This is a very good album from a group of young men from Belgium.

It has elements of Isis, mastodon, 90's shoe gazing bands (Ride, MBV etc) along with some talent, attitude and an ear for a good riff. These guys guys could go along way. Their new album is out tomorrow called the Hutch and from what I have heard its just as good.

Worth a punt

One negative is the lyrics to the brilliant opening track. The title is pretty childish too.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4