Profile for Mornaw > Reviews

Content by Mornaw

Mornaw (Hammersmith, London United Kingdom)

Briggs/ Filsell: Contemporary Choral Music [Vasari Singers, Jeremy Backhouse] [Naxos: 8573111]

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 19 Dec. 2014
If you love truly contemporary choral music and you love the organ, you will adore this. Stunning compositions (the Pangue Lingua in particular raised all the hairs on my body), and incredible musicianship from both the singers and the organists - as one would expect from a collaboration between such well known and accomplished artists. A word of warning: Some of these pieces contain contemporary discords that may not be to everyone's taste - to me these just add to the incredibly rich and varied sound. Top marks!

Energizer Keyring Torch with 2 x CR2016 Batteries Included
Energizer Keyring Torch with 2 x CR2016 Batteries Included
Offered by ECOTRONICS

3.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy, 24 Nov. 2011
I bought this in place of a Microlight plastic one I'd had for years, which they'd stopped making. This torch is very good quality, the casing is metal and the light is nice and bright (considering it only has a small bulb) - BUT - It's WAY too heavy to carry around all the time, if you usually carry a lot of other stuff as I do, and need to watch how much weight is in your bag. Nothing wrong with the torch apart from that, but I'll be buying a plastic one again this week.

JML Magic Scarf - Black
JML Magic Scarf - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 15 Nov. 2010
I bought one of these from Debenhams last Xmas (2009), and wear it out all the time when it's cold. It looks good (mine is black with subtle sparkly bits in it, I presume this one is the same) I've had many compliments on it, and it's VERY warm. I mostly wear it as a scarf or in a New York Knot, and it's perfect. I have tried wearing it as a snood and it does work, but frankly it's a lot of bother, and I only do that when I need to cover my head in the extreme cold. I would definitely recommend this - it's the best scarf I"ve had for years. I may even buy a cream one this winter! My only criticism is that it's quite hard to pull it out and stretch it sideways if you want to wear it over your shoulders as a wrap.

Raymond Blanc by Anolon Hard Anodised Clad Saucepan with Helper Handle, 20 cm, 3.8 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 13 Sept. 2010
Nice heavy weight, the extra handle is essential for this weight of pan - so many other makes forget this! Looks stylish, is easy to clean, has a see through lid; it's expensive but worth the money as a long term purchase. Also suitable for induction hobs, which many of the cheaper ones aren't. Have now bought the smaller one too and will be collecting the set!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 2 Oct. 2009
Yes, you do need a wide slot toaster for these (i.e. to take thick sandwiches), but apart from that I've been using these for years and find them perfect. Best if bread is room temp and you may have to toast them twice to get the insides melted, but they really are so simple, they make delicious toasties, and so easy to clean! I keep buying packs and giving them to people, they're that good.

Cloudburst and other choral works
Cloudburst and other choral works

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Jan. 2009
This is one of the most stunning and moving works of choral music I have ever heard. I don't know what classification it officially holds, but I would say it was akin to modern church choral music. Polyphony's voices are perfectly suited to the ethereal chords which are so beautiful that I've literally been moved to tears several times - particularly to Water Night, and I've only owned the album for 24 hours! Buy this album NOW - you won't regret it. Thank you so much Eric Whitacre, I'm immensely glad you were born.

Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Claire Foy
Offered by RightTrack Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 26 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The BBC's latest adaption of Little Dorrit is not to be missed. The casting is excellent (M. Rigaud is truly terrifying), and the costumes and sets are just right. Every moment is riveting, one is constantly wondering which way the story is going to turn next, and although the plot is perhaps a little contrived in places (a few too many coincidences), it doesn't detract from the enjoyment. In fact I'm beside myself at the end of each episode, wanting to know what will happen next. Not normally a great lover of Dickens, this production has changed my mind. Don't miss it!

Music from the Singing Detective and More
Music from the Singing Detective and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value!, 6 Nov. 2005
Loved the Singing Detective series from the '80's on TV, and the music on this album is all of that and more. Classic songs by classic artists, many of whom are long forgotten now but the songs are still fabulous. A good song remains a good song despite how long ago it was writen, and this album is full of those - many of which I'd never heard before. Anyone who loves old films, especially musicals, will love this. Bing Crosby, you remain forever cool !!