Profile for Nrelverson1 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS PC
GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS PC
Offered by 4GamersUK

5.0 out of 5 stars A game that will forever be one of the greatest!, 14 Jun. 2013
Well where do I begin? A game that was initially released as a Playstation 2 title in 2004 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is considered, by many, to be the greatest Grand Theft Auto title to date. This game was revolutionary in many ways; it contained a map of such a size that it would embarrass most current generation games, it had a voice acting list that has to be seen to be believed and it had a hugely compelling story-line with in-game mechanics that took all the best aspects from the previous two GTA 3 games and made them better. If this was not enough there are so many extra things that you can do whilst not following the main story, this can be anything from visiting the gym to increase CJ's muscle stats, entering a shooting range to increase your weapon skills or going to a driving school to improve your skills in various modes of transport. As introduced in Vice City you will find yourself flying helicopters, driving a huge variety of vehicles and riding on sea in speed boats, there is literally so much that this game has to offer.

I was one of the many that had this game on the Playstation 2 many years ago. After recently purchasing a high-end multimedia computer I was told that the PS2 version cannot be compared to the PC version as the latter is so vastly superior. Once I installed the game I went into the settings menu to find many settings that were fully adjustable and naturally I maxed them all out to see what would happen, this customization included everything from 1080p video to full render distance (something the PS2 suffered GREATLY with). When I went to start a new game I was blown away by how fast this game loaded. All that owned this on the Playstation 2 will remember just how long this game took to load up (after all it was a huge game for its time) but on the PC it literally took around 2 seconds to load the entire game. When the game began I instantly noticed just how much better this game looked visually. I could see buildings all the way in the distance that I never remembered being there, the character models and cars looked colourful and detailed, the entire image was sharp and clean with none of that infamous 'blurry' effect that the Playstation 2 version had. Playing this on the PC was like playing an entirely different game to what I remember and I found myself completely hooked on this game once more.

One of the biggest differences between the PC and the console version is the control system. When playing this on the computer it quickly became obvious that this game was designed for the sluggish lock-on system that the Playstation 2 version had. I say this because when you have a computer mouse giving you pin-point free aim accuracy whilst you use the keyboard to crouch, roll or strafe you find yourself effortlessly landing head-shots on all your enemies before they even get the chance to get near you. This control system only gets better when driving a car as you can control the car in its entirety with your left hand on the keyboard whilst using the mouse to rotate the camera around the car so you will always know what is coming. The control system on the PC feels complete and well thought out and it rendered the game far easier than I recall (although that could just me being poor on the PS2 due to naivety!). In addition to the controls and graphics being far better the PC also allows you to link your own music library to the game which you access via the radio stations in a vehicle, I felt this was a good addition as you can add a personal touch to your gaming experience during missions that were not there before.

With all this said it is clear that the claim of the PC version being superior to its Playstation 2 counter-part holds credence. In addition to all the benefits mentioned in the review one cannot forget mentioning the huge MOD community that Grand Theft Auto games possess. One trip to the 'gta-downloads' website will present to you hundreds of modifications a player can make to their game to enhance their gaming experience even further.

If you are someone who wishes to relive a fantastic game with a vastly superior gaming experience then the PC version of San Andreas is a must. If you are someone who wishes to play this game for the first time but are unsure of what platform to play it on then the PC must be taken in consideration providing you have the hardware to play it. A fantastic game that will never get old, I highly recommend to all!

Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)
Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars A great quality product from Microsoft. Would recommend to all!, 14 Jun. 2013
After purchasing a high-end multimedia PC I wished to use it for gaming as well as all other everyday tasks. Whilst the keyboard and mouse combination is often highly advantageous over the controller there are some games that simply work better with a controller and this is where this product fitted the bill perfectly.

Knowing that this is the Microsoft official product inspired confidence and I am always willing to fork out the extra pounds to get the official product that will have no compatibility issues and will be built to the highest standard. As a proud and happy owner of the Xbox 360 console this controller was all too familiar to me and it only made sense that I capitalized on this familiarity by purchasing this for my computer, this was only made better by the fact this controller is fully compatible with my Xbox 360 so it was a universal controller for me.

The controller comes with a CD that contains the relevant drivers and they installed no problem on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC, once they had been installed I simply connected the controller and the computer would instantly recognize it and apply the controls to whatever game I played. did come across a few games that failed to recognize the controller properly, notably the Grand Theft Auto series (I only tried it with GTA III and San Andreas) but I always intended to use the mouse and keyboard for them anyway.

With Microsoft being one of the biggest and most notable computer companies in the world you can be assured that this product is superior to all others. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a great quality controller for their PC.

Fisual 2m Install Series Stereo Phono Cable
Fisual 2m Install Series Stereo Phono Cable
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars This is such a bargain you'd be a fool not to buy it!, 14 Jun. 2013
As far as cable companies go Fisual is hardly obscure, you take one look on Audio Visual Online's website and you will see many great quality cables produced by this company. When looking around for a stereo phono cable I was not wanting to spend a lot of money and when I saw this cable with a 2 metre length and at such a great price I purchased it straight away.

Before purchasing it I will admit I was not expecting much, £5.99 for such a length of cable left me thinking that the quality will be relatively low and that I was simply getting what I paid for, but oh how I was wrong. Upon arrival I noticed that both ends of the cable terminate with gold male plugs, the cable itself is heavy and thick whilst retaining a high level of flexibility and the sound quality it produced was phenomenal, I simply could not have imagined this cable to be so good for the price.

I would highly recommend this cable to any who are simply looking for a good quality cable for a great price!

Kameo: Elements of Power - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Kameo: Elements of Power - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, would recommend to all!, 2 Mar. 2013
Turn the clocks back around a decade and we had the Playstation 2, the Gamecube and the Xbox all fighting it out to become the supreme console, I was a proud Gamecube owner whilst my brother had the PS2. One of the launch titles that always got me excited about the Gamecube was Kameo: Elements of Power. Of course back then Rare was in bed with Nintendo and not Microsoft, but Rare had a reputation of creating some of the best Nintendo titles on the N64 (Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Conkers Bad Furday, and let us not forget Goldeneye) so I had every bit of faith this game was going to be a hit. As history would tell us this title never came out on the Gamecube, and this particular game was littered with constant push backs resulting in it never coming out on the Gamecube at all. I can say with no hesitation that this always bugged me the whole time I owned the Gamecube.

Fast forward a decade and I finally get round to purchasing the new Xbox 360 S and when I am browsing on the Xbox Arcade market I come across this game, and I simply had to have it (although I actually ended up buying it from Amazon as Microsoft were asking for a little too much).

Kameo is exactly what a game should be; incredibly fun, hours and hours worth of game play, great in game mechanics, throw away characters and dialogue, vibrant and colourful worlds and a general experience that is in every bit Rare.

I won't go into any detail about what the story is about as any potential buyer can easily find that by a simple Google search. All I will say is if you want a game that is simply fun, a pick up and play experience and something that is very light hearted then pick up a copy of this game asap!

Grado 15CM Headphone Adaptor Lead
Grado 15CM Headphone Adaptor Lead
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic product but a little on the expensive side., 28 Feb. 2013
It is surprisingly difficult to find this particular kind of headphone adapter. The vast majority of high-end headphones have a 6.3mm jack so you would expect there to be a good selection of adapters enabling consumers to use their high-end headphones on sources other than dedicated amps that have a 6.3mm headphone socket. Prior to purchasing this Grado adapter I had a cheap adapter that had the same design as this, that being a short cable separating the male and female jacks, so it was hardly the typical bulky cylinder adapters that can put great strain on headphone sockets. After my previous adapter ceased to function I felt my Grado headphones deserved to have the official Grado adapter. Grado are a very good headphone company and their claim that there is no 'degradition of sound quality' when pairing the adapter with a pair of their headphones sounded very appealing.

When the item arrived it was packaged in a very typical Grado fashion (a simple black sleeve with the company logo on the front) and their minimalist effort left me thinking I had been completely overcharged. When I picked up the adapter I was very impressed with how solid and well built it felt. Both the male and female jack are gold plated, there are no loose or moving parts and the adapter has a thick bulky cable just like their headphones all of which inspired confidence.

It was only after using this adapter that I realized Grado's claim of no loss of sound quality actually stands true, but better still it highlighted the fact my previous cheap adapter was making a noticeable negative impact on the sound quality of my headphones. With this adapter the sound feels fuller and warmer than before without losing any of the airy treble that Grado is so good for. I will admit that the reason I initially purchased the cheaper adapter was because I could not justify spending so much money on an adapter, even if it was made by Grado. In hindsight I really do wish I purchased this product first. Not only has it made a huge impact on the sound quality of my headphones but it is of such high build quality I can see this lasting many many years to come.

This may be an expensive product but you will simply not find anything that even compares. A fully deserved five stars!

C2G 3m Velocity 3.5mm M/F Stereo Audio Extension Cable
C2G 3m Velocity 3.5mm M/F Stereo Audio Extension Cable

2.0 out of 5 stars A below average product at a low price., 10 Sept. 2012
Upon receiving this product I was pleasantly surprised. Although it was badly transported (came in a postage bag with no padding and the cable itself was inside a plastic bag and not a box) when first observing the cable it felt thick and well made and came with gold connectors on both male and female ends, the coating of the cable is also very flexible which allows for good freedom of placement.

The quality of the cable from a practical perspective unfortunately did not live up to the aesthetics previously mentioned. The cable does not fit firmly on either the male or female side and I often found that it was easy to accidentally pull the cable out of whatever it was connected to. This cable produces a constant static when it is plugged into any source so I strongly recommend you steer clear of using this as a potential headphone extension as I used to do on occasion.

Overall you get what you pay for. When you are paying £5 for three meters worth of cable I guess it was only natural that it is a poor performer.

QED Profile HDMI Video Lead (2 metres)
QED Profile HDMI Video Lead (2 metres)
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all-round and a pure 5 star cable!, 15 Aug. 2012
Purchasing an HDMI cables can be a daunting process, there are so many to choose from that you can easily purchase poor quality cables that claim to have excellent performance. As an avid fan and reader of WhatHifi I went straight to their review section and took note of all their 4-5 star rated HDMI cables. considering the quality and length of this cable the price was an absolute steal and I purchased two of them!

QED is a very well established and praised cable manufacturer and I already use a lot of their cables so when I saw that Amazon where selling these so cheap I had to get them. The picture is crisp and wonderfully vibrant with a very natural colour pallet, you simply cannot go wrong with this cable and I would recommend to anyone!

Edifier Speaker S330D 2.1
Edifier Speaker S330D 2.1

2.0 out of 5 stars An underwhelming product at a rather steep price., 15 Aug. 2012
The S330D is the entry level system in a range of three digital 2.1 computer speaker systems manufactured by Edifier, the others being the S530D and the S730D which sits at the top of the range. Prior to purchasing a set of Edifier S330D's I had heard very little about them and reviews were somewhat scarce, I decided to take the chance and I shall share with you my experiences. There is much competition when it comes to computer speakers in the £100-£200 price bracket so Edifier really needed to produce a system that both delivered good sound and could be sold at a competitive price, unfortunately I did not feel that this system delivered. Established speaker systems such as the Logitech Z623, Creative Gigaworks T3 and the Corsair SP2500 have many reviews and their share of fans and from my experience they all blow this system away. I will break this review down into different sections so you can get a good picture of this product both aesthetically and in terms of sound quality.

Looks
The satellite speakers measure a compact 18.5cm x 6.5cm x 7.5cm (HxWxD) and the subwoofer measures at 24cm x 24cm x 28cm (HxWxD) so as you can see this speaker system is on the small side. The volume is controlled by a small, yet reassuringly heavy hockey-puck style wired controller whilst the bass is adjusted via a dial on the back of the subwoofer (this can get annoying if you have your subwoofer tucked out the way under the desk). The controller has an AUX in and headphone jack which is convenient if your speakers are taking up the only headphone jack/line in on your computer, the controller also glows with a blue LED when the system is turned on and the speakers can only be turned off via the power switch on the back of the subwoofer (there is no standby switch with this system). The satellite speakers contain both a tweeter (1 inch) and a woofer (2 inch) instead of having one driver to handle both, the subwoofer houses a 6.5 inch woofer which is a reasonable size at this price. The satellites have a Yamaha-esque black gloss finish whilst the subwoofer is a matte black with a silver rim around the woofer grill, the satellites and sub are relatively heavy which implies they are not cheaply built.

Connections
The satellite speakers connect to the subwoofer via speaker wire and not cable that is pre-attached (this is a nice touch when compared to the Logitech Z623 for example) so if the cable gets damaged then you don't need to replace the whole speaker, this connection type also means the length and quality of the cable is completely up to you and this gives you far more freedom to place the speakers without having to worry about insufficient cable length. The system has two analogue inputs in the form of a two plug RCA to 3.5mm cable that is supplied with the system and the control pod has a single 3.5mm AUX input. On the back of the subwoofer are two digital inputs in the form of an optical jack and a coaxial jack, Edifier also include a 2 metre optical cable in the box. The system has no input selection so if you have these speakers plugged into multiple sources then the digital sources will take priority and it automatically disables sound coming from any analogue sources. The system's AC chord comes with a European two-pin plug and not a UK three pin plug, it doesn't say anywhere on Amazon's product listing about this so be sure to pick up an adapter from Maplins (or any similar shop).

Sound
This is where the product really falls short. Straight out the box these speakers sounded harsh and tinny and after several hours of play this aspect did not seem to change a whole lot. Although the satellites look nice their sound is rather forward and clinical, there is no warmth or musicality to their sound and they lack any sort of bass presence which is surprising considering the satellites have dedicated tweeters and woofers instead of both being handled by a single driver. This point is only made worse by the fact the subwoofer is very under-powered considering it is packing a 6.5inch woofer, there is next to no impact or low-end bass power and this was with the bass dial at the three-quarter point. These speakers sound too hollow and aggressive for music prolonged or enjoyable music listening and also lack a big enough sound for movies or tv viewing. To put this into context my brothers Logitech Z4 sounds better for movies and music as it has a stronger subwoofer and less aggressive sound, this is surprising considering that they cost only £50 in comparison to the steep £120 price tag found on the Edifiers. Although having digital inputs is a nice touch these speakers actually sound far better connected via analogue. Listening through the optical cable gives a quiet static hum and a much lower volume than through analogue which is not great considering these are not the loudest of speakers in the first place. It really begs the question of why they included digital inputs when it is inferior to the analogue inputs found on all the other computer speaker systems.

Overall I cannot recommend these speakers to anyone because they are overpriced and simply do not excel at anything. If you are a big music fan that desires music quality then get yourself some studio monitors like the M-Audio AV40 (which are both cheaper and would sound better) or get yourself a mini-system from a hifi retailer. If you want speakers that deliver big yet detailed sound then get yourself a pair of Logitech Z623s, Creative Gigawork T3's or the Corsair SP2500, and whilst the latter two are more expensive than the Edifiers they will sound far superior and you'll feel like you are getting what you pay for. I am not saying that Edifier is a bad brand of computer speaker, in fact I have heard many excellent things about several models including the flagship S730D and the 5.1 S550 speaker system, all I am saying is this particular speaker system is very average with a steep price tag and you'd be better off getting speakers that excel in their particular areas which will cost the same, if not cheaper than these.

Believe
Believe
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't believe in Justin, but i'll admit this album surprised me!, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Believe (DVD)
Justin Bieber is the purist example of a 'love him or hate him' individual and the young YouTube star has managed to accumulate both an extremely devoted fan base and an equally hostile opposition. There is no escaping him or his music, and with the latter in mind let me review this new album as objectively as possible.

First of all I am not a fan of Justin. His debut album I really disliked and I grew to utterly despise the singles "Baby" and "One Time" (as I am sure many people did). The whole album was full of churned-out pop singles that were clearly aimed at adolescent girls, seeing as I am not part of that target audience I guess it was inevitable that I wasn't going to like it. Due to both word of mouth and relentless promotional advertising I figured I would give Justin's new album a listen and I can honestly admit I was surprised with my verdict. Just like Justin personally this album definitely feels a lot more mature when compared to his "I'll never let you go" days, this point can be seen with the variety of music styles and collaborations found here and on that note I shall go into more detail about "Believe" as an album.

The album begins with the up-beat single "All Around the World" featuring none-other than Ludacris (the individual who duo'd with Bieber to create the infamous single "Baby") and straight away is showing a slightly different side to Justin's previous music, Ludacris certainly adds positively to the track and I felt it was a solid beginning to the album. The tracks "As long as you love me" featuring Big Sean and "Beauty and the Beast" featuring Nicki Minaj are dance/R&B songs that add great variation to the album and demonstrate Justin is more than capable of going for a maturer audience, the latter song being my personal favourite from the entire album and both singles will undoubtedly be huge hits. "Right Here" featuring Drake is another good example of how Justin can pull off a more R&B orientated sound, the only issue I had with this song (and to a similar extent "Beauty and the Beast") is that Drake completely over-shadows Bieber on this track, it very much felt Drake featuring Bieber as opposed to the other way around.

With the collaborations covered lets get onto to some of the stand out singles. The album's first single "Boyfriend" is a catchy tune which I felt was reminiscent of Justin Timberlake's earlier sound, this song is an obvious chart success and easily one of the stronger tracks from the entire album. "Be Alright" is an entirely acoustic song that plays right to Justin's strengths and demonstrates a decent vocal range that is a pleasure to listen to, considering Justin demonstrated his great acoustic capabilities by releasing an album entirely made up of acoustic covers of his older songs I felt it was a good move to include this on the album. "Out of town girl" is an interesting single, sounding like a Timbaland produced song with a Timberlake singing style, this is a clear attempt by Justin at branching out to a maturer audience. The most interesting track I found on this album was "Maria", a song that is inspired by the scandal involving accusations from Mariah Yeater that Bieber fathered her child. Musically the song sounds very much like Michael Jackson and the repetition of the lines "that aint my baby, that aint my girl" makes the lyrics far from subtle, however I felt that this is actually one of the better songs on the entire album and I definitely felt it will be a big success.

I must say coming from a someone who is pretty anti-Bieber this album surprised me and I am not afraid to admit that, there are some truly good songs on this album. I feel that with this album Justin is more "testing the waters" than making definite illustration of Justin's new music direction, he has addressed the need to mature his music and with that he has produced a variety of songs and is waiting to see which style gets the best reception. Like any teenager of Bieber's age he is finding himself, and from some songs off this album I think we will be seeing a side to Justin that even young adults would happily admit liking.

Speedlink Component Cable (Wii)
Speedlink Component Cable (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 Mar. 2012
An excellent alternative to the expensive (and quite frankly overpriced) Nintendo official component cable.

Prior to purchasing this i had a cheapo £4 component cable that i got off eBay and the sound that came from that was distorted and the colours were not properly rendered, this cable was a million times better. The picture with this cable is sharp, vibrant and really lets the Wii show its highest graphical capabilities. Combine this with excellent performance, fantastic build quality and a realistic price tag and you realize just how good this cable is.

A must buy if you have a Wii and your tv supports component input!

Page: 1 | 2