Profile for Closed > Reviews

Content by Closed
Top Reviewer Ranking: 31

Closed
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Deeply engraved solid brass 27mm circular pet tag
Deeply engraved solid brass 27mm circular pet tag
Offered by Engraving Studios

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delighted. Superb quality, love it., 12 July 2016
I am so pleased with my new tag which my black lab puppy Bella will be wearing on her collar, in less than a week, when I bring her home.

The collar arrived inside an Engraving Studios card and upon opening the card, I saw how expertly it had been engraved. Highly legible, all info I requested on each side, engraved perfectly. I couldn't be happier. I will use this company/service again and I highly recommend. A well deserved 5 stars!

Pet Leso® TPE Travel Cat Bowls Collapsibe & Portable Pet Bowls with Bottle Holder and Belt Clip -100% Premium Quality -Blue
Offered by LESO

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cat sized. Very well made, pet safe and the ideal portable water bowl for your cat., 13 Feb. 2016
NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.

This is adorable! I like it so much, what a neat idea. I wondered what it would be like when it arrived, but I am delighted with its size and its quality. The sizes weren’t available here on the product page when I agreed to review it, so I just hoped it was ‘cat sized’ and not huge as I imagined a dog bowl version of this would be. Its so cute and I would happily attach this to my belt loop to carry around with me, swinging from my leg, if indeed Molly went out walkies with me. Sadly, she’s a house cat, but I have the perfect use for it.

It arrived in a basic plastic packet which took seconds to get off and pop in the bin. My initial inspection of the quality of the cat bowl let me see how well its been designed and manufactured. Its crafted from top grade TPE and silicone and is therefore totally safe for your cat to drink water from.

Size wise it is 11cm side to side on the top, and 7.5cm on the bottom. I’ve taken a picture of it alongside the snack cat bowls and water bowl I have permanently down in my kitchen, so you can see a comparison, size wise.

Folding it down takes seconds and its only half an inch thick when folded down. Its also light if you are carrying it on your belt loop. A couple of these and one could be used for water, the other for dried cat food. Perfect for when we go on holiday and take the cats. These bowls will be much lighter and smaller (and not breakable) to pack into our packing cubes.

There is an excellent quality carabineer to safely secure the cat bowl to your person. This could also easily be stored in a car glove box if your cat is thirsty on a long journey.

I won’t be using this outside as my cats don’t go out, but I found the perfect use for it. Molly sleeps cuddled up next to me on the bed and I take a bottle of water to bed with me every night, as I’m usually thirsty when I initially wake up. Molly always used to paw me as I drank from the bottle. Give me some! etc. The first morning after this arrived, I poured a small amount from my bottle into this wee bowl at the side of the bed and watched her enjoy her drink too. Its a routine we have every morning now and this bowl is just perfect for that use. I will also use it when travelling to vets trips and holidays where we take them.

Love it!

Its well made, the blue is very pretty, though Molly would have preferred the pink. Nash likes the blue being a boy and it folds up to virtually nothing, so its highly portable and offers a portable drink when away from their regular cat bowls.

The handle that it suspends from where carried, is fully removable too.

Highly recommended.

Through a Cat's Ear: Music for Calming, Vol. 1
Through a Cat's Ear: Music for Calming, Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting concept that seems to work! Nash and Molly sound asleep in beds and pods, peace!, 11 Feb. 2016
I was watching the news on breakfast TV early this morning whilst eating my breakfast, when a guy was interviewed with regards to music for cats. I don’t have furry, pointy ears like my two playful and loveable cats, but my ears did perk up and I took as much interest in that interview as my cats take in the filling of their dinner bowls.

I found the news feature to be an interesting concept and then I thought about how much Molly enjoys watching videos of birds and other ‘cat specific’ entertainment and I thought why not? and came on here to read a few reviews and made my choice. I purchased this album.

Then of course I had to turn the TV down and play it, to see what happened! As you do.

I actually think there may be something in this. The only other song I have ever played that sends Nash to sleep is Ocean Drive (he loves that!) but this album seems to have done the trick. Nash climbed into his pink cat bed (its a long story!) and Molly climbed into her cat pod. Mmm. Peace and tranquility. No meowing for Dreamies or a stroke or annoying me for a cuddle when I am sat at my computer desk at the keyboard!

Now whilst its true it could just be that ‘after breakfast fullness and tranquility’ that comes from emptying cat bowls and having had their morning brush, but I do think this is being enjoyed by my cats and so far it seems to have a very calming, relaxing effect on them.

As an aside, even though I am not a lover of classical music, this type of relaxing classical music is also enjoyable and relaxing to me.

I’d give it a go! I do wonder if it will work when Nash is trying to knock ten bells out of Molly though, which does happen frequently, usually when he feels she’s had much more attention than him. Jealousy, its a terrible emotion lol

Aniseed Twists - £2.50 for 250g
Aniseed Twists - £2.50 for 250g
Offered by PicknMixIt

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so delicious and a delight to enjoy slowly in the mouth. A nice big bag, each sweet individually wrapped :), 10 Feb. 2016
I love the taste of aniseed, particularly Star Anise when used in some of my recipes, Aniseed Balls, Sambuca and these sweets! These sweets are so delicious and they last simply ages when enjoyed slowly in the mouth, the delicious taste of aniseed in boiled sweet format.

They arrived in a simple plastic bag and you get 250g which is a decent amount. I find it nicer to store my sweets in a 0.5L Kilner jar though and keep them inside that and in the fridge. They are even better when chilled. Also, if you want to give these as a gift, transferring them to a Kilner jar or other preserve jar you can add a ribbon and turn these sweets into a delightful and pretty gift.

Each sweet is individually wrapped so they don’t stick together in the jar or the packet.

A really nice sweet treat and if you like aniseed flavour, you should really like these.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Garden Scissors | Crenova SH-01 Professional Hand Pruner/ Bypass Pruning Shears - Heavy Duty Metal Blade - Ergonomic Rubber Coated Handle - Desinged for Gardening Trimming Work
Offered by distianert

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality pruning sheers with a safety lock and tough carbon steel blades. Designed for safe and heavy use., 9 Feb. 2016

These are superb pruning sheers. Already I’ve used them to prune my young plum tree ready for spring. As the branches of my small young tree are not too thick, these pruning sheers coped admirably, the cut being swift, neat and easy.

I was pleased with the packaging when it arrived. The sheers safely ensconced inside thick plastic, with a surround of heavy duty cardboard full of information about the sheers. It did take me a bit of a faff to get them out of the packaging, but packs like this are always awkward to get in to, but are necessary due to sharpness of the blades etc. But once you get them out of the packet, they are great!

The handles provide an excellent non-slip grip and more importantly they are equipped with a safety lock, so when you have them in storage and you go to grab them, you are not going to grab the edge of a sharp blade accidentally. Speaking of blades, they do advise on the packaging to oil your blades prior to putting into long term storage. I oil the blades after each use and clean, as I find that way the best way to prevent rust if you store them in a shed or outhouse as I do etc. Oiling your blades also keeps the blades cutting easily with no sticking.

The maximum cut width of these sheers is 3/4” (0.75 inch) so these should be suitable for most of your pruning and tidying up needs in the garden and these sheers are designed for cutting live branches too.

The tough carbon steel blades are perfect for heavy duty use, yet they are lightweight and comfortable to use. I like the built in sap groove which is designed to prevent debris sticking and to keep your blades clean whilst using and also that you can tighten the central nut if your blades start to slacken at all.

All in all an excellent pair of pruning sheers, built for heavy duty use and designed with the end user and their safety and comfort in mind.

Excellent product! much better quality than the old one’s I had in my gardening toolbox.

Silverline 140821 Bungee Cords, 400 mm - Pack of 6
Silverline 140821 Bungee Cords, 400 mm - Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, dependable and excellent quality A++, 9 Feb. 2016
I’ve bought these before so immediately came back to the same brand to buy more as I was so satisfied with my initial purchase of Bungee Cords from Silverline, though they were a smaller size.

Arriving well packaged, my initial inspection of each bungee cord brought up no issues. They are all very well made and appeared as strong as they claimed to be. The elastic cord is strong and stretches well and is a decent 8mm thick. I am also totally happy with the strength and build quality of the steel hooks.

Although you can use these with a roof rack, that’s not what I purchased them for. I use them to erect an emergency tent when out in the wilds. They work superbly and haven’t let me down as yet even when suffering strong winds.

Useful for lots of things, not just wild overnight stays.

Highly Recommended!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Leki Trekking Baskets (pair)
Leki Trekking Baskets (pair)
Offered by ALL OUTDOOR LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Leki trekking pole basket - pack of two and the one I fitted to hubby's pole fits perfectly. Delighted!, 3 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Leki Trekking Baskets (pair)
My hubby had lost the trekking basket from one of his Leki trekking poles so I came on Amazon to see if I could find a replacement. It was important to me that it was a genuine Leki branded trekking basket and I placed my order happily.

I am delighted with my purchase. The branded pack contained not one, but two genuine Leki trekking baskets and I can confirm one of them has already been fitted to my hubby’s Leki pole that was missing its basket. It fitted the screw threads perfectly and the quality was as I would expect from a brand such as Leki.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Creates everything from loose through to tight curls, even on very long hair. Easy to use, complies with all UK electrical regs, 1 Feb. 2016

I’ve had great fun testing this out since it arrived for review. As someone who has worn my hair long and straight for a long time now, this has been an ideal opportunity to style my hair differently and make more of an effort to make the most of my long hair.

Prior to agreeing to review this product I consulted with Adam’s Gift to ensure that this appliance complied with current UK electrical safety regulations. I can confirm that this electrical product does indeed conform to UK electrical safety regulations which requires that the live and neutral pins on plugs are part insulated, so as to prevent shocks when removing plugs from sockets. The plug on this styling tool is also a factory fitted UK 3-pin plug that is duly marked with the BS1363/A standard mark and the plug is fused.

This is quite a remarkable unit which I have become more familiar with as my use has increased. I now use it on average 2 to 3 times a week. Its not really something I would use every day as it does take some time to style the whole head and as the effect is so ‘glamorous’ I save it for those occasions when my hair is going to be seen and noticed. This is a superb styling tool for girls nights in, where you may want to do each others hair! and more specifically for those all important special nights out. This would also be ideal for bridal hair as long, wavy curls are so very pretty and feminine.

The unit arrives exceptionally well boxed, the style of box one would expect to see on the shelf of a top department store. Glamorous pictures, unit diagrams and information as to the units features adorn the excellent quality box. When you take it out of the box, note the thick and rigid quality of the internal cardboard housing. Don’t throw that away! I threw out the outer branded box but store my unit in the internal box as its strong and houses my styling tool perfectly and neatly. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like electrical wires trailing all over the place and things like this are difficult to store ‘neatly’ if they are not inside something.

There are 3 different curl effects you can create easily with this - Loose, Medium or Tight. I have tried all 3 curls and they all are easy to achieve even on very long hair, which mine is. I think overall I prefer the medium curl as its just so pretty! and feminine. The tightest setting gives a very ‘come hither’ look to the hair -grin- However you curl your hair, its going to give you a different look and you can adapt it to what you are hoping to achieve or where you are going.

Its incredibly easy to use but do read the ‘comprehensive’ instruction leaflet fully prior to even plugging in. It all seemed rather complicated initially to me, so many settings to consider from the timer, which controls the curl effect to the heat setting for achieving a lasting curl - through to which side of the head you are curling! Yes, there is a LEFT or RIGHT setting, be sure to get that one correct before you begin. Like I say, read it all thoroughly. By the second time I’d used it I no longer needed to re-read the instructions and it all suddenly became simple. I guess those new pathways had been created in my brain by then!

Don’t be alarmed the first time you use it either, I was somewhat! I sectioned off a 3cm width of hair and following the instructions closely (important which side of the unit faces the head!) closed the unit around the hair. My hair was sucked up and disappeared! I thought ‘Oh my goodness, maybe I can make the cropped look fashionable in rural Scotland” LOL but it was all good! The unit cleverly scoops up your hair and ’winds it’ internally prior to issuing a beep which is when the timer countdown starts. Another beep alerts you to ‘open’ the unit and release your newly curled hair! The hair emerged curled beautifully. I was delighted! Squee!

I then proceeded to do as much of my own head of hair as I could. Help would be required for the back - girls night in, perfect! A light finger brush through my hair, a quick shake of my head and a light coating of hairspray and I loved my glamour puss hair looking back at me in the mirror.

The unit is built to a high quality, as I would expect for a unit retailing at its current price point. Its easy to operate, achieves the result it promises to and comes complete with easy to follow instructions and complies with all current electrical safety regulations here in the UK. Buy with confidence!

Comment Comment | Permalink

Led Torch Light, ThorFire S50 Torch Ultra Bright 2000 Lumen Torch Flashlight Cree XHP-50 LED Handheld Torchlight IPX8 Waterproof Camping Light for Multiple Outdoor Activities
Offered by Doeracil

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing! A powerful 2000L beast of a torch that works underwater too! Wait till you get your hands on this!, 31 Jan. 2016

As someone who both collects and regularly uses high-powered, premium quality torches I was delighted to have the opportunity of reviewing the S50 by Thorfire.

This is truly a beast of a torch, offering a superb 2000 lumens of light! It even outshines my best and most favoured Maglite (DPM Camo model) - you are not going to be disappointed with this, I’d bet my lunch on that one.

Crafted from strong and extremely durable aircraft grade aluminium, this torch is both fully waterproof to 2m and impact resistant to a drop of 1m.

This bad boy is built to withstand virtually anything outdoor life can throw at it and its no wonder as its designed with the military, law enforcement personnel and outdoor enthusiasts in mind. This is THE torch to have in your rucksack. Its pretty awesome and that beam, wow! it took my breath away, beating not just my best Maglite but also my much loved Canwelum tactical torch (1200L) which is to my eyes design perfection in a tactical torch. But this, this is even better, I do really love it! I got quite excited as I felt its strength and superb build quality as soon as it arrived and I had unpacked it from its box. It just sits so very nicely in my hand. Just hold it and feel it, it’ll send a shiver down your spine if you love torches!!

The box it arrives in is strong, just like the torch itself and is crafted from natural cardboard. A simple label giving a hint as to what lies beneath the lid. Its truly a sight for sore eyes when you open the box! It does look gorgeous, waiting to be fitted with batteries and to get to work for you.

It doesn’t ship with batteries, the money here has been spent on design, functionality and performance, not glossy packaging or the inclusion of free batteries or chargers - take my advice: buy Canwelum Powerful 18650 Lithium Ion Batteries, 3.7V (pack of 2 you need) here on Amazon, ensure you have batteries before this beauty arrives! I use these 3.7v batteries in most of my torches and they are the only one’s I haven’t encountered failure with.

Its rugged and yet stylish aluminium build will delight torch enthusiasts or those wanting a ‘warrior’ in their hands that is not going to let them down. It is indeed fully IPX8 Water Resistant & Shockproof and I tested its waterproofness by submerging it FULLY during initial testing, whilst on full beam and took photos to prove its durability and resistance to water. It did look great on the river bed, its beam proudly visible to me. A gorgeous piece of kit I must say.

It features a smart control tail button switch which enables you to cycle seamlessly through its beam offerings:

Low - Mid - High - Turbo - Strobe

That turbo beam will blow you away! its powerful and looks magnificent! and its beam distance of around 800 meters will impress you most certainly. If you need to see or be seen, this is the torch to look at!

On its lowest light output setting you’ll achieve a fabulous 60 hours of continuous use, reducing to 12 hours on a medium light and a further reduction to 3.75 hours on the brightest light you will quite possibly have seen coming from a commercially available torch!

The ThorFire S50 also features a Cree XHP-50 LED which promises an impressive 100,000 hours lifespan. I’m not sure it gets much better than this, torch wise. I am so glad this is now mine! and you’ll be assured to know its covered by a manufacturers 18 month warranty for your piece of mind. With specs like this and a build quality to match, I doubt you’ll be claiming on that warranty nor needing to buy a new torch, for..well..practically ever!

In use its simplicity itself to operate:

Press the tail switch to turn on the torch; slightly tap the button to switch modes between Low-Mid-High-Turbo.

Turn on the torch and double tap the tail switch to activate the hidden Strobe Mode.

Not only do you get all this, but inside your box are some additional goodies to delight you:

A spare glass lens cover
4 spare sealing rings
and Orange and Green tail caps! So, if you get bored with the black, then change them over and add a bit of colour to your torch!

As soon as you get your torch, I always advise a light coating of petroleum jelly to the screw threads to enhance waterproofness and also apply some to your sealing rings, to stop them drying out and cracking. Look after your torch and it won’t let you down when you need it.

A superb package! Ideal for all Military, Law Enforcement, Preppers, Survivalists, Wild Campers, Hunters, Fishermen or anybody else who needs to light their way.

Fantastic torch, I LOVE it!!!

Its a powerful beast!

Very, Very, (yes, very!) Highly Recommended!!
Comment Comment | Permalink

WESTLINK HD Binocular 8X42 Waterproof Fogproof With Carrying Case Military Olive Green
Offered by CEO trade EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Military grade, high powered, multi-coated, olive green body armour and a delight to use over prolonged periods. A++, 31 Jan. 2016

This is a superb military grade high-powered 8 x 42 HD multi-coated binocular!

Arriving boxed and complete with an excellent quality ballistic nylon carrying case, this is a high quality ‘outdoor proof’ binocular that is ideal for hikers, trekkers, hill-walkers, bird-watchers, hunters and many more outdoor pursuits.

Sensibly styled in the perfect military olive green, its fully waterproof and indeed fog proof and features fully coated optics. It really is fantastic to use and I can confirm it has been a true pleasure testing this to the max in difficult terrain and whilst enduring a transatlantic storm we’ve kindly been donated the back of here in Scotland.

The ballistic nylon case features a leatherette strip at the top of the flap and fastens securely with a velcro tab. It also has an adjustable olive green webbing shoulder strap. During testing hubby happily hung the case containing the binocular around his neck and he found it comfortable to carry, whilst also offering quick and easy access to the binocular when required.

You are supplied with a comprehensive instruction leaflet which guides you through, step by step setting up your binocular to work for you. Maintenance is a breeze! Just wipe the binocular down with a damp cloth after use and keep the lenses clean, by using a lens cleaner or an optics cloth after each use and of course replace the eye cup covers.

The eye cup covers have a handy lanyard hole to enable you to attach and thus prevent loss. You ‘can’ attach to the binocular neck strap, but I didn’t do that. I used a wire loop I had in my stuff drawer, that way the eye cup dangles where I want it to when I’m using the binocular.

There is a large focusing wheel to enable pin-sharp images and I found wholly that the binocular took me just a few minutes to set up and get used to.

Its rubber armoured! I love that, it enables a secure and comfortable grip alongside waterproofing and offering shock protection.

The diopter scale (this is the scale that you use to focus the eye cup to your eye) is easy to use, just make a note of the setting once you’ve focused, so you are aware for future use of your individual settings - helpful if you ever loan out your binocular!

The lenses on this military grade binocular feature FMC broadband multilayer coating, which ensures the resolution is much higher than with other binoculars on the market and the increase in brightness to me is certainly noticeable! In repeated testing I have found the high quality optics offer a comfortable vision during prolonged periods of use. I actually watched for about 10 minutes a heron who was ‘hiding’ and it was great that I could see him, yet he couldn’t see me as I was hidden in the undergrowth. The olive green of the binocular blending into my surroundings as seamlessly as I did. You can see even better in low light! The world is yours to watch with this binocular. So comfortable to use too, I really am very pleased!

I estimate there is a visual range of around 1000 meters here which should be enough for most situations where you want to be the observer. And if it starts to rain, do not worry, I used this in a torrential downpour and my binocular coped as well with the horrendous weather as I did.

From a hikers/explorers point of view, binoculars are great for looking at the ground you have to cover, helping you to plan a route and find suitable landmarks to help you navigate and will certainly enable you to observe an area from a safe distance before moving onwards.

I am wholly delighted with this binocular and its now part of my kit bag.

Magnification: 8X