Profile for Zsuzsi > Reviews

Content by Zsuzsi

Zsuzsi (London,UK)

Mool Rectangular Flat Cushioned Dog Bed, Width: 90 cm (35 inches), Graphite Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy dog and owner, 24 April 2014
It looks better than expected, the dog loves it, it washes well and we are all still happy after a month and a half of use.

Happy Pet Unstuffed Chipmunk Character Soft Dog Toy
Happy Pet Unstuffed Chipmunk Character Soft Dog Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Puppy's favourite, 29 Oct. 2012
This is easily my young puppy's favourite toy. It is well made and especially fun when attached to a string, so we can pretend the toy is trying to escape!

Little Kings Story (Wii)
Little Kings Story (Wii)
Offered by Galactico

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not live up to positive reviews, 12 Jan. 2012
I don't play a lot of games, but recently I thought I'd get a few games and use the wii for something other than watching BBC iplayer. I bought this game based on all the positive reviews on gaming sites and Amazon. Unfortunately I did not enjoy the game that much.

The games I do occasionally play on the PC tend to be real-time strategy games, like Settlers, Anno or SimCity. Superficially this game looks similar to those, but its complexity is disappointingly lower.

While I like the general concept and idea behind this game, I found the mechanics of it frustrating.

Firstly, you spend too much time going around digging things up to gather money. This is fun for about 15 minutes, then it's just a chore.

Secondly, so far the only difficulty in combat is the fact that the controls are not intuitive. You stand so your king points towards the enemy. You don't want to stand too close, so this often results in some shuffling around until your king points the right way. Then you dispatch your soldiers. I found the process annoying,

Thirdly, much of my time seems to be taken up doing things that should be straightforward, like saving. To do anything that you'd think you could do through a context menu screen, you need to go back to the palace, sit on your throne and select an advisor to do it. This is much too laborious and not fun.

I'll be keeping this game in case I am home with the flu and bored but I can't see myself ever finishing it. The concept is endearing, it is just the mechanics that are a pain. There are better platform, RPG, etc games out there. If you want a strategy game, there are excellent games for the PC.

Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr Siri Murder Mystery (Dr Siri Paiboun Mystery )
by Colin Cotterill

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker than the other books in the series, 12 Jan. 2012
I have enjoyed this series, as it does capture so much of what makes this part of the world unique. While I did like this book as well overall, I did find it different from the earlier books: much darker. This is primarily due to Dr. Siri's encounter with the Khmer Rouge. This is certainly an important topic, but one I have already read about and not really a subject for the escapism that the other books have offered. Secondly, even the description of the murder mysteries seemed more gruesome to me. Until now the fact that Dr. Siri is a coroner has not gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the books, but here I caught myself skipping some paragraphs. (I dislike CSI for the way in which the autopsies are depicted. If you are fine with CSI you are probably fine with the paragraphs I skipped.) Finally, the relationship troubles between some of the characters also contribute to a feeling of darkness,

Shetland Lace
Shetland Lace
by Gladys Amedro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not for beginner lace knitters, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Shetland Lace (Paperback)
My biggest complaint is that the book only has written instructions and no charts. Of course one could quickly draw up a chart on graph paper, this is still a considerable shortcoming when nowadays charts in lace knitting books are standard.

That said, the book is a useful addition to any experienced and enthusiastic lace knitter's library. There is a section at the front with a small stitch dictionary and general instructions followed by a number of patterns. I am more likely to use the book as a source of inspiration for how one can combine stitch patterns in a shawl, but the patterns themselves are for the most part good-looking. (I am not so convinced by a long lace skirt.) The baby items are especially appealing to me. The photos are a bit dated, but the book is well-produced.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 12:56 PM BST

When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide
When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide
by Marion Edmonds

4.0 out of 5 stars More for beginners, 18 Oct. 2010
I think this book would be very useful for a beginner knitter. It is small enough to keep in your knitting bag and has good tips in it. However as a more advanced knitter I found the book was not really offering me anything new.

The Angel's Game
The Angel's Game
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored me to tears, 18 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
I too loved Shadows of the Wind and was eagerly looking forward to reading The Angel's Game. The book started well enough, but the plot soon became too unbelievable. I did not care for any of the characters and all that seemed to hold the book together was flowery prose. I decided to give up on the book after 150 pages or so. Others I know had the same reaction. A disappointment.

The American Boy
The American Boy
by Andrew Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't capture my imagination, 28 July 2006
This review is from: The American Boy (Paperback)
I have read very good reviews of this book and ended up borrowing it from the library when another book I wanted was not available. I couldn't get past the first fifty pages or so - the narrative style was very boring and not much was happening. I found the narrator very irritating. I read ahead a little to see whether it was worth persevering, but the cheesy plot twists I saw coming further ahead convinced me not to waste my time on this book.