Profile for Michael Brooks > Reviews

Content by Michael Brooks

Michael Brooks (Tasmania Australia)

Still So Far To Go: The Best of Chris Rea
Still So Far To Go: The Best of Chris Rea

5.0 out of 5 stars Answering a Query, 14 Oct. 2009
I am listening to the CD and may write some things on the remastered tracks at a later stage. I want to answer the query raised in a number of other comments. You need to be connected to the internet. And your web browser must be consistent with the software used on the Rhino site before the second CD will interact with the Rhino web site. I discovered that I had to change my web browser to internet explorer before the CD would talk to the Rhino website. Some other browsers are supported but Google Chrome is not one of them. I hope this helps.

I am giving the CD 5 stars on the basis of the interview alone and access to copies of some of the Blues Guitars paintings. Extremely interesting interview. I like the look of the Italia guitar and suspect that Chris does too--an ugly duckling which is really a swan in Rea's hands!

The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes (3CD+2x10" Vinyl)
The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes (3CD+2x10" Vinyl)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Feb. 2008
I received the wonderfully conceived and executed package only a few days ago. But I've already played the CDs many times and upon repeated listening the tracks improve each time. Two things I noticed. First, there is relatively less slide work on the tracks compared to Blue Guitars. Second, I was curious whether the instrumental CD would be a reincarnation of the Shadows. Well apart from one track, I don't hear any resemblance at all. Some of the instrumental tracks remind me of the sound and fury achieved on the soundtracks of the great spaghetti Westerns. There are some wonderful tracks on these 3 CDs.