Profile for R. Lands > Reviews

Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
by Dan Parry

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world! ;), 13 May 2009
For most of my childhood I wanted to be an astronaut. I only abandoned the idea when I eventually realised that I wasn't even American.

Reading Dan Parry's book may not have compensated entirely for my Earthbound career choice but it did at least bring me one step closer to understanding what life as an astronaut would have been like. Mr Parry's account of the Apollo programme is so throughly researched, so crammed with insider testimony and interesting detail, that you'll be convinced that he must have stowed away aboard the Eagle in '69.

This book revells in the details of the mission (I can now diagnose a 1201 alarm code, which will come in very handy next time I'm in a lunar module) but such trivia only serves to highten the reader's understanding and sense of being there. You certainly don't have to be a space geek to enjoy this book as Dan Parry never loses sight of the fact that this is a story of human endeavour, not rocket ships. His tension filled narrative encompases not only Apollo 11's famous crewmen, but their wives and those on the ground who rose to the challenge of sending men to the moon and returning them safely home.

A recommended, informative and enjoyable read.