Profile for Mr. S. D. Mckechnie > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. D. Mcke...

Mr. S. D. Mckechnie "smck77" (London, UK)

Britain Yesterday and Today
Britain Yesterday and Today
by Janice Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 21 Aug. 2010
this a fascinating and insightful book, my good friend Barbara features in it serving tea

Waiter Rant
Waiter Rant
by The Waiter

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Waiter Rant (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was a waiter many years ago so I was keen to see what the author had to say. Anyone who has worked in hospitality would lap this book up (and anyone who has been a restaurant customer should read this too).

Very well written, funny, touching, insightful. I would wholly recommend this.

Skinny Bastard
Skinny Bastard
by Kim Barnouin

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not about fitness, it's about becoming vegan!!, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Skinny Bastard (Paperback)
I started reading this book thinking that I would get some sensible tips on getting fit and improving my nutrition. This book is actually a full on piece of vegan propaganda blasting the reader with grandiose statement after grandiose statement about how eating meat is stupid, being a vegan is the only way forward if you want to be buff, dairy is wrong etc. More often than not, I just felt overly bombarded by the over the top claims made (which are all referenced with footnotes but I couldn't be bothered referring back to the huge list of references).

The writing style is terribly grating. Not only is the reader bombarded with bold statements, but these statements are peppered with phrases such as 'duh', 'that's right pussy', 'you eat meat? you're retarded'. I found this really annoying.

If you are a non-US resident, a lot of this book is totally irrelevent e.g the menu plans, recommended produce and stores. Also, the focus is on how bad the US regulatory system is.

Not a good book. Title and cover totally misleading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 4:13 AM GMT

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars too long, badly written, over rated., 8 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
I bought this book based purely on a friend's recommendation and 934 pages later I wish I hadn't bothered.

The story is on par with something like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code - the plot moves quickly from outlandish situation to outlandish situation. The writing on frequent occasion was very flowery and made me roll my eyes and question why I was reading this. Unfortunately I find it very hard to give up on any book but I came very close here. Parts of the book are just ridiculous where it tries to be philosophical, you can almost see the author sitting at his desk writing it thinking 'how can I be deeply profound with my writing'. Not a good read. Avoid. Don't believe the hype.

The House Bunny [DVD] [2009]
The House Bunny [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Rumer Willis
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars good (but I thought it would be funnier), 19 July 2009
This review is from: The House Bunny [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I think Anna Farris is great but I felt that this film was a bit average. There are some really funny moments but on the whole the film was just ok. I would recommend it though (particularly for the 'remembering names scene').