Profile for The Fault > Reviews

Content by The Fault

The Fault
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Naty by Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)
Naty by Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the additional expense?, 6 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can you really say about baby wipes? These do the job well enough - I wouldn't say they are fragrance free though because they do appear to be slightly scented. I have come across some wipes that dry out easily but it doesn't seem to be an issue with these. They are strong enough not to tear and did not irritate my son's skin in any way. However, they are considerably more expensive than some alternatives on the market and even though they are better for the environment, those of us who are more budget-conscious than environmentally-conscious during in these harsh economic times may opt to use cheaper wipes. These don't seem any better or worse than most other brands I have come across.

PC Tools Registry Mechanic 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
PC Tools Registry Mechanic 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Offered by Accessory-Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't seem particularly effective, 12 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought my registry files were in dire need of a clean up after noting a severe drop in the performance of my laptop over time and defragmenting my laptop was of little benefit. My computer was sluggish and I thought Registry Mechanic would improve the performance of my PC. However, I have not noticed any discernible change. I still have error messages and sluggish performance from a computer that is supposedly virus free. Therefore, a 2 stars for me - I'm far from an expert so maybe I'm overlooking something but so far I'm not convinced by the effectiveness of this software. I will say that the software is simple to use with clean menus and at £8.99 (Amazon price as of 12th March 2011) it isn't particularly expensive. But I wouldn't recommended this software at the RRP - a total security software packages would be a better option as an all-in-one package because they tend to include a registry cleaner as well as offering more comprehensive protection than a basic standalone anti-virus package.

BitDefender Total Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
BitDefender Total Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive potection...once I finally got it installed, 12 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel more secure now this is installed on my system because it contains everything you would expect from a total security package - anti-virus, anti-spam, a two-way firewall, online backup, parental controls and more. You can set how complex you want the menu screen to be for the software which is a nice touch, ranging from beginner (a minimalist menu) to expert (allowing you to modify numerous settings, which I must say I haven't tried because I'm no expert). There are how-to guides to assist you and overall it seems pleasingly comprehensive.

There is also the option to tune up your PC, which can defragment your hard-drive, clean your registry files and so on. I was disappointed by this aspect of the software because despite the promise of it boosting the performance of my computer I saw no benefit. In fact, I had to restore my registry files to a backup point because my computer stopped working correctly after one clean - fortunately, there was a suitable restore point available. I think registry cleaning in general is always a delicate area and this just proved it.

The other issue I had was an infuriating one - the software just would not install on my laptop after repeated attempts. It would tell me an updated version of the software was available over the internet and offer to download it for the installation - I would click yes and then the installation would fail to respond. This happened repeatedly, to the extent that I declined to download the updated version and decided to just have the version on the CD installed (I assume it installed the necessary updates at a later date once the software was up and running on my laptop).

Then it would scan for viruses and also detect if there was any other anti-virus software on my laptop which would cause a conflict - there was another anti-virus package already installed so I would click to remove the existing software and informed I must reboot my system for the installation can continue any further, which is pretty standard. However, upon reboot the installation would not start up again and I was forced to start over (repeating a 15-20 minute process). Again, this happened on numerous occasions. Finally after 6, 7 or maybe more attempts I finally get to the end of the installation after waiting for roughly 45 minutes... almost there... here we go.......... "your total security software.... did not f'ing install!!!" (or something to the effect of those words). Yep, I was greeted with an error message and told to repeat the whole installation process over again. Infuriating.

Well, I'm pleased to say after some perseverance I finally got Bitdefender installed - once it was fully installed I was prompted to rate the installation process for feedback, needless to say it got 1 star out of 5. But now it's up and running my computer should be secure from threats from all the low-life fraudsters out there because as I have already said it is a comprehensive package. I have since installed the same software on my netbook and it installed first time thankfully, suggesting I was perhaps just unlucky with my laptop.

Overall, I would award 3 stars. The installation problems were very frustrating and I have also noticed that the software is very resource heavy and adversely affects the performance of my computer to a greater extent than I would wish for. On the plus side, just to repeat what I have already said a number of times (sorry to bore you), this is a pleasingly comprehensive package and there should be no need to install additional software once this is up and running.

Norton Antivirus 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Antivirus 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly limited protection, 28 Nov. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Norton in the past and it's an anti-virus that's simple to use and doesn't tend to slow the computer down. In a nutshell, it pretty much does what it says on the box. Yet this is also it's biggest downfall because it doesn't do particularly much in some respects. It lays claim that it protects against viruses, spyware, worms, trojans, bots and dangerous downloads... so far so good. But what it doesn't do is protect against identity theft, hackers stealing your bank details when you shop online or warn against unsafe websites. This to me renders Norton as pretty pointless overall. I'm not bothered about PC tune ups that some all-in-one packages may offer but I do want to be protected should I choose to shop online.... and Norton Anti-Virus doesn't do this? That's ridiculous. And as for warning of unsafe websites, even the current free edition of AVG Anti-Virus does that. So for me, the Norton Anti-Virus package is too limited to recommend.

I would recommend opting for the Norton Internet Security package (if you must have Norton and nothing else) as this offers the extras I've mentioned. The Norton 360 All-In-One-Security goes one step further by offering online backup and supposedly keeps your PC tuned. As for the Anti-Virus we see here, I find it ultimately lacking as it doesn't seem to offer anything more than AVG Free 2011 (please correct me if I'm wrong) - just a basic protection and that's it, which I don't feel warrants such an asking price as this. You can get far more complete internet security packages on Amazon for a similar price (from other brands) which I think potential buyers should factor in before purchasing.

Demons Souls Game (NTSC) PS3
Demons Souls Game (NTSC) PS3
Offered by Netro Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game of 2010 (PAL Version), 13 Nov. 2010
Demon's Souls had me interested ever since I first read a review of it on import in Games magazine. It got 10 out of 10 and much was made about the difficulty - the screen shots captured in the magazine looked fantastic but I was put off by the comments made as to how hard this game is. That was back in 2009 and after much deliberation as to whether I should chance getting an import copy I eventually decided to wait for the Black Phantom Edition once it was announced that a PAL version would be released in the UK.

Now the introduction is out of the way, let's move swiftly onto my experience of the game. It is most definitely a challenging game to say the least, it took me six hours and dozens of deaths just to complete the first level (after the tutorial, which is great introdction to the game I might add). I must profess that I haven't progressed much further into the game despite devoting several more hours on it. Normally, such slow progress would frustrate me to to point that I would give up on the game. So why not Demon's Souls? Put simply, it is such a rewarding experience that it just sucks you in. Dying becomes part of the learning process - you learn the layout of the level, the foes you will face and other dangers to look out for. So the game had me carefully edging my way through the perilous and imposing environments - it is really tense at times not knowing what may be lurking around the next corner and I haven't experienced a game like this in the current generation of consoles. You can't simply run through the whole game (alhough there are moments where you need to just run and hope) because you need to exert real care and thought as you progress.

What does help are the unique online features - you get to see blood stains of other gamers where they have met their bloody demise and you can use these to "preview" how they met their end. Also, other gamers can leave hints anywhere in the evironment, using set bodies of text, whereby the most helpful hints will remain in the game for longer before fading away. It is a truly fantastic touch. Other gamers can also enter your game to either try and kill you or assist you in your quest, although I can't comment on this as I haven't experienced this yet so I'm not too sure how it works without first hand experience.

The graphics and sound really add to the atmosphere. There is no backing music during gameplay, just the environmental noises, but they really add to the atmospheric feel of the game and the graphics in my opinion are excellent.

This is a game I really shouldn't like. I've been playing games for almost the last 20 years so I have experienced hundreds of games but I have never been an exceptional player - I'd rate myself as maybe slightly above average at best - and I don't tend to like games that are fiendishly difficult.... Demon's Souls is just that. But I absolutely love this game. I just can't fault anything about it.

The Black Phantom Edtion comes with some nice extras too, so I'd adise getting that if you're a collector and it's not too expensive (it is limited edition and now not widely available) - a very nice art book, the soundtrack CD and a full strategy guide (which admittedly, isn't as helpful as I would have hoped, as despite being detailed it is biased towards just one class of character and therefore some of the tips are not particularly useful for other classes).

Overall, an absolutely stunning game. Yes it is incredibly difficult but it rarely feels unfair. This is the most rewarding game I have played in a long time. A game where I have devoted so many hours for so little progress and still give 5 stars with ease, now that is something special, particularly as I am someone with normally not a lot of patience that a game like this requires. However, when you do make even the smallest bit of progress it feels so rewarding - you really can feel like you've achieved so much just by getting that little bit further in the game. In my opinion, the best game I have played in 2010 - my game of the year.

Demon's Souls (PS3)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game of 2010 (PAL Version), 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Demon's Souls (PS3) (Video Game)

Demon's Souls - Black Phantom Edition (PS3)
Demon's Souls - Black Phantom Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game of 2010, 13 Nov. 2010

The Black Phantom Edtion comes with some nice extras too - a very nice art book, the soundtrack CD and a full strategy guide (which admittedly, isn't as helpful as I would have hoped, as despite being detailed it is biased towards just one class of character and therefore some of the tips are not particularly useful for other classes).

Hunt To Kill [DVD]
Hunt To Kill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Austin

2.0 out of 5 stars What is more wooden in this film?.... Steve Austin or the trees?, 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Hunt To Kill [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't think Steve Austin will ever win an Oscar for his acting ability but it's pretty safe to say most action films don't require the best acting skills on the planet. However, judging by this film, Austin is so inept at acting that I just can't see him ever becoming a truly big action star.

The plot revolves around a group of criminals who successfully complete a heist but one of the group double-crosses the others and makes a run with the money. They track him down to the border between America and Canada, where Austin works as a border patrolman. The gang take both Austin and his daughter hostage, making him use his tracking abilities and knowledge of the area to track down the traitor of their group and the loot, before they make a run for it themselves across the border.

The plot is very straightforward and the dialogue is simple at best. There are very few surprises in what is a very predictable film, meaning it starts to become a bit tiresome. Austin is provided with a few truly awful one-liners that wouldn't have even made the cuttting room floor of an Arnie film of the 1980s and to no surprise he makes a right hash of them, evoking little conviction or passion in his delivery (but with some truly cringe worthy lines who could blame him? Although, at least Arnie was able to provide some tongue in cheek humour to his lines, even if it was unintentional at times). To be fair, some of the other actors in the film aren't too bad although they aren't helped by poor (almost non-existent) character development and very uninspired dialogue.

This is a film that promised action in spades but failed to deliver to the extent I was expecting - I was surprised by how sparse the action was at times. Of course, there are a few fight scenes throughout the film (Austin needs to flex those muscles of his after all, and throw in a few wrestling moves in the process) but there are also long periods where not a lot happens. If these moments are supposed to develop the characters or provide tension they failed miserably. I may have slated this film for most of my review but it is just about enjoyable enough to sit through once but it is far from a great film. This was a straight to DVD film and it shows.

Oral-B 3D White Electric Toothbrush Replacement Heads - Pack of 4
Oral-B 3D White Electric Toothbrush Replacement Heads - Pack of 4

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cleaning ability but jury still out on polisher, 4 Nov. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These heads are very similar to the standard oscillating precision heads that Oral B do, with the only difference being that the centre sees some of the bristles removed and replaced with a "dentist-inspired" polisher. I haven't noticed any difference yet as a result of the polisher, so for me the jury is still out as to whether it has any added benefits to my dental regime. Despite this, the head offers good cleaning ability much like the other heads in the Oral B family and it can be used with most of the Oral B range of automatic toothbrushes which obviously has its advantages.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2011 10:19 PM BST

Oral-B Dual Clean Four Replacement Toothbrush Heads
Oral-B Dual Clean Four Replacement Toothbrush Heads

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than manual toothbrush but prefer the precision heads, 28 Oct. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My teeth feel cleaner and mouth fresher now I use an automatic toothbrush over a manual. These dual clean heads seem to do a decent job but I would say that I personally prefer the precision range of toothbrush heads (aka the standard oscillating ones) simply because it's easier to reach the hard-to-reach areas of the mouth and these dual clean heads don't seem quite as kind on the gums. These brush heads seem to work with almost any of the Oral B range of automatic toothbrushes - I use the Professional Care 2000 - but check the product description or packaging first to make sure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15