Profile for Anomalous Monist > Reviews

Syndrome X: The Silent Killer: The New Heart Disease Risk
Syndrome X: The Silent Killer: The New Heart Disease Risk
by Gerald Reaven

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment, 10 May 2016
Okay, what this book is and what it isn't. It isn't an in-depth presentation and discussion of Gerald Reaven's lifetime work on Metabolic Syndrome. That would have been good, because metabolic syndrome is really important. It's important because it suggests a unified, structural cause of heart and vascular disease, diabetes and high blood pressure - insulin resistance and chronically high levels of insulin in the body (hyperinsulinemia). It's even more important because it suggests that this unified, structural cause can be prevented or treated most effectively, not by drugs, but by altering the diet. By restricting carbs so that insulin levels fall back to what they should be. This can be done, as Phinney and Volek have shown. And Reaven is the person who knows about insulin resistance. He discovered metabolic syndrome, and he has worked on it more than anyone else, and he is world-famous. Nobody doubts his stuff and he is completely kosher.

But this is a popularising book, and a bad one at that. It was published in 2000 and is alarmist and quite sensationalist in tone. There's only the crudest, lowest-level summary of what metabolic syndrome is and how insulin resistance works, pitched at the level of a really bad newspaper shock-horror story. The tone is unpleasant and is intended to frighten. Hey, you may think you're healthy, but no, you're going to die !!! unless you read my book and, hey, follow this diet.

It's also out of date. His message is don't eat the carbs, but the diet isn't really low-carb. The diet is presented, with menus, in the book. It is 45 % carb, 15% protein, 40% fat. I suppose that much fat was bold back in 2000, but a low carb high fat diet of the reputable type that Jeff Volek and Steve Phinney have demonstrated success with in reversing metabolic syndrome is of the pattern 5% carb, 15% protein, 80% fat. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to cure insulin resistance to eat a diet of this type. More than 10% carb just won't cut the mustard.

I was very disappointed, as I was looking for an accessible but in-depth presentation of his work on Metabolic Syndrome, but this just wasn't remotely it. The best thing I've found so far for that, and it's good, is The World Turned Upside Down, by Richard Feinman - and The Art & Science of Low-Carb Living by Phinney and Volek, of course.

The Living Mountain: A Celebration of the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland (Canons)
by Nan Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 29 April 2016
Possibly the most beautiful writing I've ever read. It's only 101 pages long. Her language is crystalline and transparent, and this is actually poetry. It's so beautiful that reading a couple of paragraphs clears my mind and lifts me to a place I had forgotten and where I would rather be.

I don't know the Cairngorms but the hills of Skye, but this will do fine.

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Book 1)
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 19 Feb. 2015
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and since it seemed interesting i bought it. However, i didn't get round to reading it till recently, and i am very happy i did! This book is a dystopian like nothing i've read before. It introduces you to a new magical/technological world which captivates you completely. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, romance or adventure.

Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets
Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear, reliable voice, 6 Oct. 2014
Tho this book is written primarily for Type 2 diabetics, I found it very useful even though I'm a Type 1. Jenny Ruhl gives the best explanation I've come across of how the whole digestion/metabolism thing works, and this was very useful in understanding how protein and fat are metabolised, and therefore insulin-dosed for - something that's very important to insulin-dependent diabetics.

Also really nice for her realism in evaluating LCHF and other diets. She really isn't prejudiced, and her conclusion speaks real common sense.

Anker PowerCore+ mini (3350mAh Premium Aluminum Portable Charger) Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of this type, 6 Oct. 2014
Seems to work very well, and to be better quality than another kind bought from a shop. Anker apparently have very good customer service if you have problems.

The Prize (Pony Club Rivals, Book 4)
The Prize (Pony Club Rivals, Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloutely, positively amazing!!, 20 April 2014
This book is absolutely amazing!
It's brilliant for horse freaks like me. At some points I couldn't stop laughing! Stacy Gregg has a natural talent. The book is positively amazing. She writes in a specific way that really gets me, I'm speechless! The whole series is wonderful. I couldn't put down the book and spent the entire morning buried in this story. I cried when I realized that this was the last book of the series! I wish Stacy Gregg would write 4 or 5 more books to the series. I highly recommend it! If I could I would give it 9.999.999 stars! This is BY FAR the best book I have ever read!

Showjumpers (Pony Club Rivals, Book 2)
Showjumpers (Pony Club Rivals, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 Feb. 2014
This book is great for horse mad people like me! It is the sequel to the Series pony club rivals.

Eight Months on Ghazzah Street
Eight Months on Ghazzah Street

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you read the very first page of this book!!, 25 Oct. 2013
I just re-read this book after a gap. The first time I loved the dark comedy (especially the dreadful expats and the dinner party scene - go Saudiflon!). The second time I found it completely terrifying. The atmosphere of choking claustrophobia built up and up and up and was really menacing.

In our book club though, 7 out of 8 people didn't notice the first page of the book, the Turadup memo from the awful Eric begging people to keep calm about the Turadup deaths this week, which tells you at the start that someone is going to die. The book itself is actually a long flashback to when they arrive, ten months before (eight months on Gh St and two months more marooned outside the city, where the book stops). So you know from the start that someone's going to die, and you wonder if it's Frances and Andrew, and then at the end it obviously is. But most of the book club readers didn't notice or remember that first page and didn't see the chronology, because HM gives the Hijri month names, not the Western calendar names. I lived in the Middle East for years (as I suspect did most of the people who love this book, because the atmosphere is so absolutely right, and the authoritarianism and the secrecy) so the Hijri month names didn't bother me - I could see the time sequence - but I think it may just not be clearly enough signalled. And if you don't know that they are going to die, the book seems purposeless.

So while the book worked for me, and I love it, it didn't work for quite a lot of others.

Very crucial page, that first page!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2014 2:49 PM GMT

Secretariat
Secretariat
by Raymond G. Woolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Secretariat books, I think, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Secretariat (Paperback)
A lovely picture book about that most wonderful and loveable horse (and his also loveable peer, Riva Ridge). The text is uneven, tho there are sometimes gems, but the photos are good, and there are enough of them to satisfy. Some of the portraits of Secretariat, and some of the racing shots, are beautiful. He was such a beautiful horse.

The Bill Nack book has much more detail, and while it had me gripped so that I read it all through, I found it pedestrian. No good for a child's imagination. This would be the one.

Sweet Poison: Why Sugar is Making Us Fat: Why Sugar Makes Us Fat
Sweet Poison: Why Sugar is Making Us Fat: Why Sugar Makes Us Fat
by David Gillespie

5.0 out of 5 stars Indpendent summary of the state of knowledge which we can choose to trust or not., 26 Jun. 2013
The premise of this book is that an intelligent layperson can go into a new area, read the medical and biochemical research (not secondary stuff), make their own synthesis and write it up for other intelligent laypeople who want a summary that is independent of the medical establishment.

I can't check everything he says or check his judgement, but the method looks good, the argument is good, and the sources he quotes seem sound and good-quality. So I have to take on trust that his synthesis is accurate and that he has all the main points. But if that's right, then this is an excellent book. It put many things into a perspective that I didn't have before, which picking up bits and bobs of articles and advocacy by people like Robert Lustig (wonderful as he is)does not give you and which you really need. He is being Everyman - which presumably is why Penguin published his book.

So if reliable, it's a superb book. I became increasingly horrified as I read, by the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3