Profile for Mr K > Reviews

Content by Mr K

Mr K (Sofa of reasonable comfort)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny box of delights, 29 Mar. 2012
I've had this for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed. Pictures of how small it is just don't do it justice.

I was initially disappointed as i didnt expect loading times for previously purchased tv shows, but this seems to have been eliminated now as shows are playing straight away. AirPlay works well too, any content that you have on other Apple devices play on your tv and any videos that you watch on the Internet via an iPad, iPod etc can be played on your tv too, a bonus I hadn't counted on.

Netflix is available through the Apple TV and is great, works very smoothly. Surprising to find a competing service available and I may well keep it after the free months trial. YouTube also works well and has been useful a few times.

I upgraded from the old Apple TV with the integrated hard drive and very pleased with it now. The only thing I wasn't overly fond of was the remote that comes with it, but the previous stubby white remote still works with it anyway. Or you can just use any Apple device with the remote app to control it anyway.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone who buys alot of content from iTunes.

My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Lee
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 25 Feb. 2012
As most of the other reviews say, My Name Is Earl is a great series, though it did tail off slightly with season 4 which was the last season. Season one is by far the best of the series and well worth getting as the show is quite often butchered by censoring when shown on tv these days.

However one thing the tv broadcasts have over the dvd releases is that the show has a great soundtrack, which has been cut back a bit on the dvds. Sadly at least one or two songs per episode have been removed, presumably to save money. Not really an issue if you're new to the series, but if you've watched the series on tv a few times it can be a bit jarring and disappointing.

Also a shame the show hasn't been released on blu ray, as it was filmed in HD and apparently even had a few sight gags such Randy holding a sign in the background of a scene that was only readable if viewed in HD.

Minor quibbles though, well worth buying it.

Doctor Who the Tardis Mini Construction Playset
Doctor Who the Tardis Mini Construction Playset
Offered by Millsons Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Collectors only., 10 Jun. 2011
This is a nice looking little Tardis once built, but looking at is really all it's good for. The doors are really flimsy and I can imagine they'd break with very little encouragement, and that's if you manage to close the doors if you at any point push them inward. You almost have to pull the model apart to close them again, which isn't recommended as it's enough of a pain to attach the doors in the first place.

Make sure you like where you place the model as if you move it you're sure to lose the lantern, it doesn't stay securely on top at all and I would really consider glue for it. Definitely not safe for younger fans to play with.

Something nice to look at on a shelf maybe, but really can't recommend it as a toy.

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Doctor Who: The Complete Specials [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice., 11 Jan. 2010
It's a nice little boxset, saves quite a bit of space compared to previous dvd boxsets and doesn't look too out of place. If/when they release the prevous four series on blu ray I'll probably be stupid enough to get them based on what I've seen.

As for what's actually on the discs, the episodes have all been mentioned in other reviews and I'm sure you know what you'll be getting. The Confidential episodes are worth a watch too, gives a nice insight into the making of the specials and in some cases gave me a better opinion of them.

The real gem for me was David Tennant's video diary of his final days. It's something I always looked forward to after I finally found them in the season 2 boxset. Wonder if Matt Smith will take up the reins?

All in all I'm pleased I got it, can't say more than that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2010 9:06 PM GMT

Converse Unisex Star Player EV Trainer
Converse Unisex Star Player EV Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought two., 11 May 2009
There's not much you can say about shoes, surely? I ordered the grey and white pair and as mentioned in a previous review the star does seem barely stitched onto the shoes, but apart from that they're fine. They are quite a narrow fit like most Converse so I'd recommend ordering the next size up than you normally do.

HTC Touch P3450 Pocket PC Phone
HTC Touch P3450 Pocket PC Phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Touch of greatness, 15 Sept. 2008
This is a great phone.

I've got a weakness for cool gadgets, especially phones and have had a few touchscreen phones that were just impractical and too bulky, so I was hesitant to get this one. But then I saw how slim it was, and a few videos of how the TouchFLO worked and I didn't stand a chance.

One thing worth noting is that the TouchFLO interface is kinda wasted, it's just a bolt on to get you started using the usual Windows Mobile system, but there are a few programmes available online that go a bit further using a similar interface, which really does enhance the phone further.

Another bugbear is texting, it ships with every input interface Windows mobile usually does, except the phonepad, which is the most useful one. However, again with a little browsing on the internet you can find it free to download.

The camera's 2 megapixel and decent enough, though kinda eclipsed lately by alot of newer phones.

It's not a 3G phone but is WiFi enabled which works well, I've only used Internet Explorer which comes with it, but Opera mobile is said to work alot better.

I'd really recommend it. Despite it being a year or so old now and a bit eclipsed by some of the newer and flashier phones I'm still sticking with it, which really does say something about it.

Motorola MPx200 Smartphone SIM Free
Motorola MPx200 Smartphone SIM Free

3.0 out of 5 stars The K.I.T.T. of phones., 23 Jan. 2007
KITT from Knight Rider, because the first thing you'll notice is the gorgeous black gloss shine the phone has.

Ok, so appearance shouldn't be the only reason to get a phone, but who are we kiding? Do people buy the superslim phones that are out today just for a decent working phone?

Not that this could compete with slimness, it's a bit chunky, but then it is getting on a bit in years, this is one of the original Windows Smartphones and the first that Motorola released. As such it has all the basic smartphone capabilities but sadly no camera or bluetooth, but it's soooo shiny.

The other thing it has going for it is the media player. I could never get any videos running on it but it was perfect for music, it's loudspeaker was really good. Sadly the headphones were not so great as it didn't have stereo output, even though even the first SPV smartphone from Orange was able to do this. But it's so shiny. :) And the loudspeaker made up for it.

I really loved this phone, I was never plagued by crashes like other owners seem to have been and it remained my choice of phone until the Sony W810 came out. So if you find a cheap one it's definately worth getting. Just a shame it doesn't come with William Daniels' voice installed. :)

Charlie Brown - I Want A Dog For Christmas / A Charlie Brown Christmas [DVD]
Charlie Brown - I Want A Dog For Christmas / A Charlie Brown Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ann Altieri

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic hidden away., 23 Jan. 2007
If I hadn't looked closely I would've missed it.. This dvd has a new Peanuts holiday tale where Rerun decides he wants a dog for Christmas. It's an entertaining enough tale I guess, but the real gem is hidden away as a bonus feature; A Charlie Brown Christmas.

This is the classic 1965 Charlie Brown animated tale that used to be repeated every year where a melancholy Charlie Brown searches for the true meaning of Christmas in the face of commercialism. Featuring the infamous score by Vince Guaraldi, who defined the sound of Charlie Brown's animated existance.

Often referenced in contemporary Christmas specials or episodes, this is a true classic that no fan of animation should miss. The real shame is that it's not been given a dvd of its own.