Profile for M. Davis > Reviews

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray]  [2017]
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray] [2017]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars I am off to the Dark Side, 3 April 2017
Let me get this straight - I really wanted to like this film, I really did. But it did not happen. Most reviews agree that the film is dark. However, rather than being an endearing quality, I found these overtures to be really annoying. In fact, I found the whole film annoying, from its one dimensional characters to the constant visual and verbal nods to previous Star Wars films.
I don't know whether I had had too many hobgoblins when I was watching it, but I managed to lose plot lines constantly throughout the film and in the end lost the ability to care who got blown up, shot or tortured by the empire. In fact, I found the plot turgid and inordinately not engaging.
For me, the CGI was deep in the uncanny valley and I found it off putting rather than having a wow factor. And to top it all, the voice did not fit. As for Darth Vader, the physicality of it was all wrong and he minced better than Danny Le Rue at a Royal Variety Performance. I expected him to pout and turn at one point.
I also found the premise to be dull. Of all the things that could be done with the franchise why pick another DeathStar story.
Sorry Star Wars, but if this is the new calibre of story - I am off to the Dark Side
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2017 6:55 PM BST

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

4.0 out of 5 stars Give them a go., 31 Jan. 2017
Right, so I have now read both of the available kingkiller chronicles. This is a weird one for me. Did I enjoy the books - yes I did. In fact it has reintroduced me to the fantasy genre again. So that is no bad thing. However, these are far from perfect books and I do have a few criticisms of them and some plus points.
In relation to the good points - this is a character driven plot and this is what makes the books strong points. The characters are likeable - sometimes too likeable despite their flaws. There are characters that are not really developed. For me, I liked the character of Devi and Bast (although I know that there is a novella in the rogues book about Bast and I will search that out). The narrative is good, and I like the fact that we change perspectives throughout the book from the first person to the third person and back again. Which I found grating at first, but then did get used to and actually ended up liking.
However, there are a few points that did drive me at times to think - Just get on with it. At times, Rothfuss does tend to centre on particular aspects that tended to slow the narrative down a bit - In the first book, it was the endless musings with the the character Denna. I did tend to get a bit bored with this and could not wait for the story to move on and in the second book it was with the Ademre. This (for me) went on a bit too long and it could have been pared back a little.
At times, the author (particularly with the alchemical aspect) would let his own interests be at the forefront of the narrative and it seemed that it was Rothfuss the teacher lecturing students on the properties of his own interests rather than the characters interest.
It is obvious that Rothfuss has a good knowledge of the fantasy genre and at times this glared throough. At times it was like when you hear a song on the radio and you know the tune, but it has been altered a bit, this book was like that. It would be obvious to compare kingkiller chronicles to G. RR Martin, but this book is nothing like this. It reminded me a lot of Ursula le Guin's earthsea wizard trilogy and that was the nagging tune that I had in my head all the way through. Another point that lets it down is the fact that there needs to be a third book and it needs to explain a number of things.
As I was thinkingabout the third book, I was thinking that the story that he has started telling in these books would actually fill more than a Trilogy and I wonder if that would actually be to its disadvantage as it would have to move rather quickly from the age of seventeen to the age that the character of kvothe is portrayed in the 'present' scenes.
Anyways, if you are looking to read this book - I do recommend it. As for my 'review', it is more my opinion than an actual review and you 'dear reader' should not be put off by it as it is simply that - an opinion. Not to be agreed with, but hopefully giving a perspective of how I felt about the book personally.

The Good Dinosaur [Blu-ray] [2015]
The Good Dinosaur [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Bob Peterson
Offered by Mediacentre

3.0 out of 5 stars The background is more interesting, 22 Mar. 2016
So the Good Dinosuar finally arrives. This pixar film was actually made before the excellent inside out, and unfortunately it does not come close to being anything like that film. Pixar is generally synonomous with quality films that appeal to children and adults alike. However, this one for me was not in that league (however, I am not their target audience and my son loved it). There are some good bits to the film, it is not alll bad. The backgrounds and the water scenes are stunning, but that is where the problems lies. I spent most of the time paying more attention to the backgrounds rather than the story of the film, which just did not grip me at all.
Pre - production, this film had significant difficulties. They lost the cast, it had to be rewritten etc, and you can tell. The story is less than engaging. The characters are two dimensional and the set pieces are sparse.
The film is generally not an offensive, it's not rubbish. It's just meh.

SoundPEATS QY7 Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless Sports Headphones Running Gym Exercise Sweatproof Headsets In-ear Stereo Earbuds Earphones with Microphone (Black/Green)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions count, 8 April 2015
Well they say that first impressions matter, and for these headphones they certainly do. Got to say that for the money, I was not expecting much. However, these little things have surprised me. There is a good bass response and the mid levels sounds are not bad. I mainly got these for running and have put them through their paces already. The main thing is that they stopped in. What more can you ask for. There are a few minor niggles, like why is the chord so long? And the buttons are a bit weirdly placed, but all in all they have fit the purpose that they were bought for at a good price. You can't ask for more really can you. Oh and one other thing, it could do with some clearer instructions on the ear stabilisers- must be a bit thick coz I can't work out where they are supposed to go.

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
by Philip Wylie

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Nov. 2014
The tag lines on the back say that it 'provides self understanding and give guidance as to the future', 'a timely and accurate resource'.
I'm sorry, it fits none of these categories. I was hoping to find a useful resource that could be recommended to individuals in order to gain some insight, but what I found was a book that gives unhelpful advice, such as career advice (as a reviewer has already pointed out - being a radio deejay, editor, market researcher or shaman to name a few), to helpful and handy hints to live a rewarding and fulfiling life (like moving to another country).
The book has very little information in gaining diagnosis, and at times is devisive in it's criticism of standard routes of diagnosis. At other times quite wrong, labeling dyslexia as a personality disorder, and at other times a blatant advertising tool for private services. The research comes from 'interviews' and 'correspondence' and the authors own research which is cited numerous times.
In summary, I found it to be a disappointing book with very little useful information in it.

The Strain - Season 1 [Blu-ray]
The Strain - Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Corey Stoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but seen it all before, 26 Oct. 2014
It's not a bad series. However, it tries to put a new slant on the vampire mythos whilst using derivative plot. The inital opening scene is not just reminiscent of the original Dracula story, but an actual reenactment of it. The plot is just basically Dracula, but putting the disease of vampirism to a parasitic worm. And one of the biggest disappointments is The Master himself. He is just not scary. You can see that the producers have actually just looked at a picture of F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, and simply added some rubber prosthesis to it to try and change it a little bit. I enjoyed the series, but I was hoping for something a little bit different, especially when Guillermo del Torro is involved, who did do something different with the vampire mythos in his excellent film Kronos.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 2:07 AM BST

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Steven Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern masterpiece, 21 Jun. 2014
Well, this is a review I two parts basically. One for the product, and the other for the album.
I do not use the term lightly, but I think that this is Mr Wilson's opus. This has got to be one of his best pieces of music, including Porcupine tree etc. the album definitely has it's roots in the past, with the obvious references to King Crimson, Tull etc, but for me that 's where it ends. The album has everything from blistering guitars to atmospheric soundscapes. And I think that this is one of the reasons why the album is so good. Steven Wilson treats music as a master craftsman, orchestrating each track with precision ., gently teasing the best from each individual musician This man genuinely cares about how the product should sound, and goodness me, does he get everything right on this offering. Which leads me on to the blu ray edition. Does it add anything to the original album? Or is it just another fad like coloured vinyl /picture discs were in the seventies and eighties. For me, this actually enhances the album, true it's not loaded with interesting pictures to visually entertain as well as edify the listening pleasure,. This is a good thing, it helps you focus on the music- as it should be. The production of it is excellent. This is my first musical blu ray, each note iand scratch of guitar string is clearly audible,. Am I a convert to blu ray music - hell yes!

World Music
World Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Psyhconauts land on the planet earth, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: World Music (Audio CD)
I have only just stumbled on this album, and got to say it's a fantastic album. One of my main areas is mad psychedelic music and this fits into that category. I don't think there is a bad song off this, and it also reminds me of another mad psych album. If you like this, feeling a bit adventurous check out Brainticket. This album reminds me of them. This has got the people who reviewed this album saying that it was one of the best albums of2012. I agree totally.

Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly and entertaining, 12 April 2013
Well, I bought this book for twenty pence, thought that it might be interesting and it was. The book has incredible coincidences all the way though it. The book centres around Allan Karlsson, a kind of Forest Gump character who meanders his way through the most important events of the twentieth century in search of a decent meal and some vodka to wash it down with. It is a light entertaining read with some real laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed it - can't say more than that really

The Long Earth
The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett

2.0 out of 5 stars The long winded earth, 8 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Earth (Hardcover)
Well, I have got to say that I agree with most reviewers about the book. I was looking forward to a book that was not set in the Discworld for a change and this sounded interesting. Unfortunately, it was not. Characters are two dimensional, the plot is a stolid sea of ideas that does not seem to go anywhere for most of the book and then wham bham thank you maam it's done. One of the criticisms of fantasy novels are the fact that the main characters journey about a lot with boring descriptions of the scenery that the characters are going through. This falls into that style of book. I am not leveling criticism at one author, it goes to both. I was hoping that this may have fallen into a vein similar to Dark side of the sun or strata, but it does not even go half way to meeting the standard of those two books (and they were early works), and by all accounts, this idea comes from the shelf that those two books came from. Maybe it should have stayed there. I hope the sequel proves to be more interesting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3