Profile for M. D. Clyndes > Reviews

Content by M. D. Clyndes

M. D. Clyndes "sezzy_phlox" (west yorkshire UK)

The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film
by Jasper Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Reference Book, 3 Jan. 2008
I also bought this book to aid my A2 Media Studies research and I still use it during my degree.

This book is fantastic for either indepth research or simply having it as a reference review book. It concentrates on 20 directors who have changed the face of Japanese film and it reviews several of their films from horror to animation. The book contains a filmography of each director and a biography for their filming career along with their successes, failures, techniques and styles.

The review for each film is done in a positive manner even if it is being critical and gives constructives critiscm rather than simply tearing a film apart. The reviews are generally unbiased and allows the reader to decide if the film is worth seeing rather than telling them what they should do.

A handy book and brilliantly written.

Japanese Horror Cinema (Traditions in World Cinema)
Japanese Horror Cinema (Traditions in World Cinema)
by Jay McRoy

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem for research into Japanese horror cinema, 3 Jan. 2008
I originally bought this book to help me with some A-Level Media Studies research and I found it so helpful I have continued to use it throughout my degree.

This book is not a review book but gives brilliant insight into certain Japanese horror films and their cultural, political and technological meanings with an overal view of the developing relationship between western and eastern films.

The book concentrates on certain films so don't delve into it hoping to find a reference to the film your looking for, its main concentration is on Ju-on, Ringu, Freeze me, Battle Royale, Tetsuo and Audition.

It is a fantasic book to aid with research into Japanese horror films but not quite for light reading - it has references from many critics and the case studies pick apart everything you could want to know about certain horror films.

Enjoy!! It is fantastic!!

Project Zero Three (PS2)
Project Zero Three (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 25 Jan. 2007
I have never played the two previous installments of the game but I am a huge fan of survival horrors and thought I handled them pretty well until I bought this and realised that the people who create this game must hate everyone because they have brought out a fantastic game with a brilliant storyline but have made it too scary to play. I can't actually play it for long periods at a time.

It does take a while to get used to the controls and the slow running can be annoying but the balance of two worlds make up for it but even though I am always happy when I return to the lovely light world when Rei is awake, it is also very atmospheric, creepy and a lonely place to be.

What makes it so scary is that ghosts can appear anywhere and at anytime and you could walk through a room and having nothing happen to you but then return later and there will be something there. There are also big build ups which are very scary.

Overall a very enjoyable game but I'm not sure about the rating because it says its 18+ but my copy is a 15 although parents I wouldn't recommend it to a 15 year old, its more of a 16+.

Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Anticipated and disappointed, 24 Jan. 2007
I am a devoted KH and Final Fantasy fan and as much as I enjoyed the first, I found this KH rather restrictive and repetitive which is a shame because I really enjoyed the storyline but battled whether it was worth playing the whole way through just to find out what happens.

The first four hours or so are amazing with doing some challenges and getting used to a re-done control system and having thousands of unanswered questions but after that the novelty of meeting new disney characters wears off and instead of exploring each world at your own pace there are now set challenges as soon as you arrive and no chances just to run around searching for what to do next.

The side challenges (apart from olympus colliseum) that made the first KH so brilliant now seem to be easy or non existant - it is even possible to see if you have all the treasure chests from each world rather than looking for them.

The cut scenes are far too frequent and would have been much better without voice overs so you could speed read and skip through at your own pace, it is possible to skip the cut scenes but then you miss vital parts of the story.

Though the first town you visit is big it does not have the charm that traverse town once did and certainly didn't have the challenges which drew you back to traverse town time and time again and the town in Hollow Bastion is certainly not worth visiting more than once.

The fights are more interesting but the reaction button makes it too easy.

Overall the worlds seems restrictive and very repetitive with an easy gameplay and annoying cut scenes - however the story is brilliant and the game is good but doesn't have the quality of the first one. Excellent graphics and very good attention to detail but if a third one is planned hopefully they will bear the first game in mind and take its good points.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars sceptical but wrong, 23 Sept. 2006
At first I was extremely sceptical about the film as I imagine many people would be due to the fact there was a different director but I was pleasentaly suprised. The film was an actioned packed enjoyable ending to this brilliant saga and it brought with it some of the best characters such as Angel. Though Vinnie Jones' acting was cringeworthy, he has very few lines and so it does not ruin the film in anyway and even though I would have liked to have seen more of Angel it does not matter because the action packed fights, conversations and general plot makes this one of the few brilliantly succesful sequels. It is sad and mournful yet funny and full of action at the same time - this is the perfect film to make you cry and gasp in amazement at excellent one liners and fight scenes, this is a film that can be enjoyed by all. Happy watching people.