Profile for 9littlebees > Reviews

Content by 9littlebees

9littlebees (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
ProTapes/Permacel 12mmx25 yard Fluorescent Gaffer Cloth Tape - Green/Orange/Pink/Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and strong adhesive, 29 Sept. 2016
Very bright and are very sticky, which is precisely what I bought them to do! :)

Staedtler Graphite 76005 Mechanical Pencil 0.5 mm Dark Blue Barrel
Staedtler Graphite 76005 Mechanical Pencil 0.5 mm Dark Blue Barrel
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent German quality mechanical pencil, 29 Sept. 2016
Best mechanical pencils I have ever used - they last a long time and are made in Germany from quality materials (albeit mostly plastic).

Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 - Size M-XXL, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Syncs with older Polar watches and bluetooth apps simultaneously, 29 Sept. 2016
Bought this to sync my heartrate in Endomondo via Bluetooth on my Android phone (LG G4), and as a bonus, it also syncs simulataneously with my old Polar FT4 watch, which I wasn't expecting. This means I can monitor my heartrate during a run or cycle by looking at my watch, and the app on my phone can keep track silently in my pocket, saving battery use. Very happy!

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Great games and 3 enjoyable platinum trophies, 29 Sept. 2016
First platinum trophies on Playstation, and I got one for each of the 3 titles. There is no multiplayer on this collection (I believe there was on the PS3 for UC2 and UC3), so if you want Uncharted multiplayer on the PS4, you'll need to grab Uncharted 4.

Anyway, this is well worth your money and one of the best series of games I've ever played. Now on to number 4!

[2 Pack] LG G4 Screen Protector, OMOTON Tempered Glass Screen Protector with [9H Hardness] [Crystal Clearity] [Scratch Resistant] [No Bubble] [Easy Installation] for LG G4
Offered by OMOTON UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great application & protection let down by touchscreen input issues, 29 Sept. 2016
DISCLAIMER: I bought this at full price, with my own money. :)

I agree with all the other reviews stating that this is a well-packaged product which has had a lot of thought put into it, from the box it is shipped in to it's very well-thought out application process. I was able to apply the screen protector easily with only a couple of tiny bubbles at the edge of the glass (but not over the phone's screen) - the bubbles were a result of a quick surface clean on my part rather than any fault of the product.

So why 3 stars instead of 5?

I have found that this product occassionally changes the way my phone registers input. During the 2 days I have had this product, on a few occassions when browsing the web and I'm smoothly scrolling down a page, the browser will suddenly leap swiftly to the top of the page. This "jumping" of input despite steady, firm pressure has also happened in one other app (Steam) and 1 game I regularly play (Unkilled). When trying to replicate this issue, I also noticed that sometimes if I hold my finger on the screen in a single position in an app that involves scrolling, the screen vibrates to and fro very slightly, as if it is registering small movements of my finger. I have never experienced this when using my "naked" screen. I can't always replicate this issue, so there are potentially other factors at work here, maybe to do with temperature or ambient light (??).

I realise this is likely more of an issue with screen protectors in general, rather than this specific product, so although the protector provides an extra layer of protection, be aware it could impact on usability. I've since seen on the web (Google "Lifehack Are Glass Screen Protectors Better Than Plastic Ones?") that others have had trouble with touch input on glass protectors. So it would appear that my experience is not an isolated issue.

Anyway, after getting in touch with the seller, they offered a full refund without requiring me to return the protector. Here's what they said: "this is the first time we received feedback like this. It happens vary rare. As we attach importance to every customer's buying experience, so I have collected your feedback to our daily report to see if we need to do more tests or improvements on our products."

Not only have they given me a refund, but they've taken the issue seriously. This is great customer service.

If you want to buy a glass protector, I would highly recommend trying them out with OMOTON, hopefully you'll have better luck than I did!.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2016 2:46 AM BST

Shadow of the Demon Lord (SDL1000) by Robert J. Schwalb (2015-11-01)
Shadow of the Demon Lord (SDL1000) by Robert J. Schwalb (2015-11-01)
by Robert J. Schwalb

5.0 out of 5 stars The beautiful, evil love child of D&D5 and WFRP2, 6 Jan. 2016
I was a Kickstarter backer for this game.

And what an amazing game it is! This is a highly polished game which can be viewed as the spiritual successor to WFRP2, with a dark setting and mechanics perfectly tuned to support a grim and deadly game.

Before I delve into the mechanics (which will be the bulk of this review), let me first comment on the physical product itself. It is a hardback, full-colour gaming book with premium slightly glossy paper throughout, along with a full index at the back. This isn't a Print-On-Demand product, and it shows - this is a premium gaming intended to compete with the likes of D&D, Pathfinder and Fantasy Flight Games. There is also lots of full-colour artwork throughout. Art is a subjective thing - I have to say I really like about 95% of it, with 5% (just a few pieces) not quite to my liking. The author spent a lot of Kickstarter money on hiring good artists with whom he has worked on previous professional RPG's (including WFRP2 and D&D), so these aren't amateurs.

So, the book itself is great - but how does it play?

Like WFRP, the book does encourage ambiguous characters (ie "good" characters with flaws and "bad" characters with redeeming qualities) which is a welcome change from typical heroic fantasy in the vein of Tolkien (mainly looking at you, D&D).

Whilst this is clearly a love letter to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, it also has mechanical influences from D&D5 (both of which the author professionally worked on). There are other mechanical influences in here, too (Edge of the Empire & FATE Core among others), but if you must compare this to any other game, it should be WFRP2.

The mechanics are brilliant, using a d20 with banes & boons reflected in additional d6s. Target number for most challenge rolls is a straight-forward 10. The banes & boons remind me of the excellent Edge of the Empire RPG, but is far simpler in practice, as the banes & boons cancel each other out, keeping the dice pool down (and not requiring bespoke dice!). There are 4 attributes (Strength, Agility, Intellect and Will), and skills are replaced with your character's profession (career prior to becoming an adventurer). If a challenge could be influenced by your profession, you add a boon. Simple!

Combat is also refreshingly simple yet still manages to have depth, the highlight of which is Fast & Slow turns feature. The PC's always go first (except vs some high-level monsters which have feats allowing them to bypass this), but have to decide to go on a Fast turn (where they can only do one thing) or a Slow turn (where they can effectively move and take an action). Adversaries also have the same option, which means they will sometimes go before the PC's (where the adversaries go Fast and the PC's go Slow). As there is no turn order, the PC's decide who goes when at the start of each round, similar to Star Wars Edge of the Empire. The result is a surprising elegant solution to initiative, which I've never been 100% happy with in previous systems. I love it here.

Paths are the careers / classes you take when you level up, and these are introduced in a structured way that encourages an organic character development, rather than the min+maxing planning that D&D seems to invite. Speaking of levelling up, it is done as a group when it is applicable to the story (usually at the end of each adventure), not individually, a refreshing change to calculating XP.

In terms of races (here called ancestries), Schwalb has taken traditional fantasy races and tropes, and twisted them away from Tolkien (and other games) in a unique way, to fit his vision. As such we see "traditional" races such as humans, dwarfs and orcs, as well as goblins, clockwork and changelings in this core rulebook. Supplements already released introduce unique takes on halflings, fauns, vampires, revenants and salamanders. Future supplements (all due out in 2016) will introduce elves, gnomes, jotuun, nephilim and cambions. It's also surprisingly easy to create your own ancestries (I've created a semi-aquatic people for a pirate campaign). True to it's WFRP roots, there are heaps of random ancestry tables to personalise your character.

The setting is appropriately dark, being on the verge of a supernatural apocalypse. Demons, cultists, beastmen and other horrible creatures all feature. Those familiar with Warhammer Fantasy will find themselves quickly at home.

I strongly suggest finding the free preview online (you can find it at DTRPG), then reading the Foreword (half a page), Preface (1 page) and Introduction (from "Moral Ambiguity" to "Examples of Play", approx 2 pages). They will help give you a taste of what is on offer here. If after reading those sections you are even slightly interested, I would highly recommend buying it, because the rules and mechanics are incredibly well thought out, easy to grasp and highly adaptable to many genres. I can see this supplanting D&D and WFRP at many gaming tables.

There is also a glut of additional material available on DTRPG, including a huge number of adventures, two campaigns, lots and lots of setting supplements, a GM expansion (The Demon Lord's Companion) and a GM screen. More content is out pretty much every month, with more content planned throughout 2016. A future Kickstarter has also been hinted at!

This is hands down the best RPG I've ever experienced. In addition, my D&D loving group (who also enjoy WFRP2, FATE Core and Star Wars EOTE) are also highly enjoying it.

I give this a hearty 5 out of 5 demonic pentagrams.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2017 11:48 AM BST

SquareTrade 3-Year Warranty Plus Accident Protection (£175-200 Items)
SquareTrade 3-Year Warranty Plus Accident Protection (£175-200 Items)

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace-of-mind cover, 16 Nov. 2011
After shelling out close to £200 on a new Xbox console, spending an extra £36 to fully cover the console for 3 years, in case of accidents or the dreaded Red Ring of Death (RROD), was a no-brainer. Seeing how they cover a wide range of products, I'm actually a little annoyed I purchased my DSLR last year from another site, and so missed out on this cover.

Customer service: I accidentally sent the wrong Amazon invoice to get attached to my SquareTrade account, and phoned up to replace it with the proper one. Not only was the agent extremely helpful, he also stayed on the line with me until he could verify that the new invoice had arrived. This was completely unnecessary from his perspective, so full marks from me on going the extra mile.

I did a fair amount of investigating, to see other people's experiences, and there are plenty of reviews out there [...] where people have made claims without issue.

Needless to say, from other positive reviews and my own experience, I have no hesitation in recommending SquareTrade for peace-of-mind coverage of your electronics.

SquareTrade 3-Year Game Console Warranty Plus Accident Cover (£150-175 Items)
SquareTrade 3-Year Game Console Warranty Plus Accident Cover (£150-175 Items)

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace-of-mind cover, 16 Nov. 2011

I did a fair amount of investigating, to see other people's experiences, and there are plenty of reviews out there (ReviewCentre.com and the main SquareTrade page here on Amazon.co.uk which has over 300 reviews) where people have made claims without issue.

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2012 12:36 PM GMT

Lexar - Micro-SDHC Card (16 GB) 16GB MICROSDHC Class 6 USB
Lexar - Micro-SDHC Card (16 GB) 16GB MICROSDHC Class 6 USB

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great... Until today!, 3 Sept. 2011
I bought this little memory card at the beginning of July and it had been a good, fast card until today. When I woke up, my Sony Xperia Arc phone alerted me that my SD card was damaged. Everything on the card was gone and plugging it into my PC resulted in a prompt to format the blank card.

I deliberately went with Lexar as it is a known brand, so am feeling quite angry that it has failed. I own probably about 8 memory cards, for use mainly in digital cameras and phones, and this is the first time ever that I have had a failure.

Reformatting the card has made it usable again, but my faith in its reliability is gone. I will be hunting about now for a new card, this time from a different brand!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2011 4:10 PM GMT

Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Offered by MSS Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Takes itself far too seriously, with mediocre graphics, 7 Oct. 2008
I loved all the previous GTA games, going right back to the very first one on PC! I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one...

When I eventually started playing, I was in awe at the sheer size of this game. There are lots of things you can do - go on dates (queue mini-games), use a mobile phone, wander into various shops, meet friends and of course, steal cars. However, I found myself slowing losing interest as the game progressed and before I completed 20% of the game, I decided that it just wasn't fun.

Sure, you can do all sorts of new things not possible in the previous games, but that over-the-top drive to rule the city (or state as the case may be!), stealing & killing your way to the top has been replaced with a morality that has changed the flavour of the game and made it... dreary.

Needless to say, I sold this on and am now looking forward to playing some new games (Fable 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2) for their escapism and thrills, not for their bleak and depressing take on the life of a criminal trying to make an honest dollar, but failing at every turn.

I'm sure this game will appeal to loads of realism-junkies and teenagers who will love stealing cars and beating to people to death with a baseball bat. It's just not my cup of tea.

Perhaps Saints Row 2 would tempt me, if this had not left such a sour taste in my mouth.

Page: 1 | 2