Profile for Alec > Reviews

Content by Alec

Alec

The Guitarist's Way - Book 1 (Guitarist's Way)
The Guitarist's Way - Book 1 (Guitarist's Way)
by Peter Nuttall

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Jun. 2016
Simple exercises, pitched just right for a complete beginner.

AGENT V6 HD Webcam (Stainless Steel Body) NEW - Chrome Only
AGENT V6 HD Webcam (Stainless Steel Body) NEW - Chrome Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for stop motion, 19 May 2014
I've used this camera before, for stop motion animation, and I liked it so much I had to buy one for myself. The manual focus is useful for that. It's important to use the little adapter provided, to protect the thread in the bottom of the camera for the stand.

The iPad for Photographers: Master the Newest Tool in Your Camera Bag
The iPad for Photographers: Master the Newest Tool in Your Camera Bag
by Jeff Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars Entering the world of Digital Asset Management, 4 Nov. 2012
Before I bought this book, I had dismissed the iPad as nothing more than an expensive light entertainment device. This book, however, encouraged me to see the iPad as a useful aid to my photography hobby. As a result, I found myself justifying the purchase of an iPad, which I certainly don't regret. Yes, it was expensive since Jeff Carlson recommends buying one with a lot of storage space. What I hadn't realised when buying the book was that there's a whole way of looking at photography called Digital Asset Management.I don't think this term is used in Carlson's book, but that's really the book's subject: the workflow of taking photographs, importing them to your computer, cataloguing them and processing them. That's a huge subject and one that I'm now struggling to optimise, without the added complication of incorporating an iPad. Photographing in RAW format has considerable benefits but the iPad isn't ideally suited for its use, both in terms of large file size and in processing the file format. There are work arounds, however, but it's not straightforward. Carlson does a good job of discussing some of these issues and the software required, but it's a big subject for a relatively small book.
If these terms sound too daunting for you, then perhaps this is an area you should avoid. If, however, you like thinking about workflow, and especially if you've devoured The DAM Book by Peter Krogh, then get Carlson's book too.