Profile for Quagg > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Salcar® EVOD Battery for E-Cigarette, 1100mAh, 0.0mg nicotine, Black
Salcar® EVOD Battery for E-Cigarette, 1100mAh, 0.0mg nicotine, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars This worked absolutely fine when I got it, 2 July 2017
This worked absolutely fine when I got it, decent charge and power for the price, but over time the threads have become worn. Now does attach to any of my many barrel parts and does not grip chargers. Must be some really low quality materials used. So now I have a working battery that is a pain to charge and does not screw in to barrel so I will have to buy another. SAD!

Sterling Silver Cat Kitten Necklace Pendant Plain 925 Silver 3D Cat Lover Daily Jewellery Gift Idea
Offered by Candy Jewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars well-priced and seems good quality. Bought as a Christmas present for my ..., 10 Dec. 2015
This little pendant is really lovely, well-priced and seems good quality. Bought as a Christmas present for my ten-year-old cat-loving daughter. Can't wait to see her open it. Perfect for this age, as it is so small and pretty and the chain is (as another reviewer noted) quite short.

Ceremonial Grade Matcha Green Tea Powder - 30g by PureChimp
Ceremonial Grade Matcha Green Tea Powder - 30g by PureChimp
Offered by PureChimp

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 25 Jun. 2015
I have tried four different brands of Matcha now, and I would rank this one third. It doesn't taste or look as good as the ceremonial-grade matcha I bought (which I'd rank first) or the Teapigs matcha (second). And - there's a chance this is just psychosomatic, admittedly - I don't feel this has had the amazing effect on my skin that the others had.

It's OK, and I'll finish it, but won't buy it again despite the attractive price!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2016 12:12 AM BST

The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell (Newsflesh)
The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell (Newsflesh)

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 6 Aug. 2014
Not a bad little zombie novella, really, but I didn't like it much. I find Grant's writing quite workmanlike - competent but dull. I had the same impression after reading "Feed", and could not get past the first few chapters of the second book in that trilogy. I did, on the other hand, quite like "Countdown" and the novella about the sci-fi convention, so thought I'd give this one a shot.

As ever, tension is well-evoked, and the narrative is well-structured and well-paced.

However, the main character is quite unsympathetic - she doesn't seem to care much for the very small children in her charge, and makes some catastrophic decisions with horrible outcomes, about which, again, she doesn't seem to care. Maybe this is supposed to be a complex woman who has been hardened by the world in which she lives, but I just didn't buy it.

I also find the narrative device of interspersing the main story segments with emails between two of Grant's blogger characters from the Feed trilogy ineffective, irritating and not a little smug.

I'm not sure what the point of this endeavour was; nothing is learned, no thoughts are provoked, no emotions stirred. It's just (SPOILERS ALERT!): zombies loose in school, teacher is rubbish, loads of kids die, the end. A pointless diversion unleavened by beauty or wit. I went straight from this to M.R. Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts, and what a contrast there was between Grant's stolid, journeyman effort and Carey's fluid, vivid, intelligent zombie world-building.

I would also highly recommend Hugh Howey's I, Zombie and Alden Bell's The Reapers Are the Angels, for exciting, well-written zombie novels with depth and meaning.

Jellycat - Little Jellycat Bashful Bunny Rose Medium (BAS3BRO)
Jellycat - Little Jellycat Bashful Bunny Rose Medium (BAS3BRO)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 11 Feb. 2014
I bought this bunny for my eight-year-old daughter for Christmas. She has a similar one in another colour, so this was to be a companion for it.

Kitten-soft and perfect for cuddling. Was tempted to keep it for myself...

Wintersmith (In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett)
Wintersmith (In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good!, 14 Nov. 2013
I bought this because of my lifelong (well, nearly) love of TP's books and the characters he created; I've heard of Steeleye Span and knew they were some sort of folk band, having as a child come across them in my dad's record collection, but was not really familiar with their music.
I've played the album a few times now whilst pottering about the house and it has really grown on me - I wasn't too sure about it on first listen, but always like to give new music a fair chance before deciding I don't like it. And this is why. "Wintersmith" is a grower; the melodies work themselves into your consciousness, and elements that jarred at first soften.
Stand-out tracks for me are "The Dark Morris", evoking perfectly one of TP's most memorable ideas in a sinister stomp redolent of ancient forests and primal magic; "You", a beguiling and melodic song which persuaded me (via Youtube) to buy the album when I was dithering over it; "The Summer Lady", ethereal and sweet; "Crown & Ice", which I feel has an almost campy element to it, somehow - it made me think of David Bowie as the Goblin King! - and, of course, the final track, "I Shall Wear Midnight", which is drenched in beauty, poignancy, regret, hope and love, and is alone well worth the purchase price.

An excellent buy, and I'd recommend it!

Stalker
Stalker

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT by the author of the GONE series!, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Stalker (Kindle Edition)
Like others, I bought this novel for my Kindle after devouring the YA book series "Gone". I thought they were fantastic, quite thought-provoking, with a lot of nuance and accomplished writing. So when I finished "Light", the last book in the series, I moved on to this, keen to read more by Michael Grant.

Only...it's a different guy :P I can see that other reviewers were under the same misconception as I was, but to me it was pretty clear that "Stalker" was nowhere near as good as "Gone". I was baffled, really, and disappointed. So it's good to know that the author of "Stalker" is this Michael Grant:

And the author of "Gone" is this Michael Grant:

Check the pictures and the bios and the book lists. Two different people.

So, with that cleared up, on to "Stalker". This is a predictable and hackneyed thriller, with stilted dialogue, cardboard characters and plot holes you could drive a bus through. It's never a good sign when I find myself irritated with every single character in a book. None of them were particularly likeable, least of all the shrill, simpering, rather stupid Sheila. I suppose the (inept) police detective, Farrell, was the least obnoxious; I suppose that at times I even felt a bit sorry for him, stuck in this very mediocre novel. His sketchy backstory was but a glimpse of a story that I might have wanted to read - certainly it would have had more potential than this farrago. I also felt sort of bad for the poor old music professor, who deserved better than his fate at the hands of the cartoon psychopath lawyer, a baldly unromanticised, murderous avatar of the Christian Grey / Edward Cullen type (this book is not QUITE as bad as those).

It is also rife with glaring grammatical errors, mistakes and typos.

In summation - I wholeheartedly recommend Michael Grant #1's GONE series.

I cannot recommend "Stalker".

The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel
The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Sept. 2013
This was an unexpected delight! Horowitz somehow managed to capture perfectly the tone, setting and "feel" of a Holmes story; I was able to forget that this was a modern addition to the canon, so seamlessly does "The House of Silk" sit alongside the beloved work of Conan Doyle.

A perfect read for this time of year, as the nights draw in and the temperatures drop. If only there were more!

Balcony Shirts 'Heisenberg Cookery School' Womens T Shirt
Balcony Shirts 'Heisenberg Cookery School' Womens T Shirt
Offered by Balcony Shirts

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tee, runs small, 2 Sept. 2013
As title, really. Lovely tee: great design, understated and cool, really nice quality cotton. I love it. The only thing is that in my opinion this runs a little smaller and tighter than most tees of this kind (geeky reference tees). I normally need the smallest size in these as I am a UK8 and like my t-shirts snug, but this is tiny! Should have got the next size up, but had already cut tags etc so could not return.

Will save it for skinny days!

Ornami Sterling Silver Filigree Heart Pendant on 46cm chain
Ornami Sterling Silver Filigree Heart Pendant on 46cm chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain, 29 Aug. 2013
This is amazing for the price. It IS small, yes, but very pretty nonetheless. I bought one for myself and one to put away for my 8-year-old daughter's Christmas stocking.

Mine did not arrive in the presentation box as pictured, but instead in a cute little gold organza bag, which is fine.

Very very pleased with this beautiful bargain and have recommended it to friends.

Page: 1 | 2