Profile for Gamo > Reviews

Gamo

2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition
2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the DRM when the publishers don't want it?, 26 Dec. 2012
I got a tablet for Xmas, and the first thing I did was download the Kindle app and subscribe to 2600. It's near-on impossible to get the paper version anywhere near me in the UK and having it mailed from the US is expensive, therefore electronic delivery looked to be the way to go.

I downloaded it to my Tab2 and had a good read. Then I thought - I'll set up Kindle for PC on my laptop so I can read it during downtime at work when I don't have my tablet with me.

First thing I find is that I can't have it delivered to the Kindle for PC App. "Never mind" thinks I, "I'll just copy the book from the tablet to the PC as it's supposed to be DRM free. That didn't work either when I found out it WAS encrypted and DRM'd to the eyeballs.

Now, the publishers of this particular magazine are anti-DRM and copy protection, so why do Amazon insist on DRM-ing the darn thing? If I was to buy a paper copy of it, I wouldn't expect to be unable to open it if I took it with me to a different room or building, so why should this be any different? I set up the subscription, I should be able to download it to whatever Kindle app I have associated to my account, not just the tablet.

Until this is fixed, I'll not be re-subscribing.