Profile for J. Wyland > Reviews

Element: Ballet Conditioning [DVD]
Element: Ballet Conditioning [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elise Gulan

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally changed my body, 9 Jan. 2013
I do love workout DVDs and have a whole shelf full to testify to that. Two or three years ago (who knows, I can't believe it is 2013 already) I got really into Jillian Michaels and really went nuts on her until my body just couldn't take it anymore. My knees were feeling it, my shoulders ached even when I tried to sleep and I was getting RSI in my right arm. Take nothing away from Jillian--I think she is awesome and if I needed to shed some pounds I would turn to her again in a instant. She certainly gave me muscles! My body was aching though so I had to look around and that's when I saw Elise. The first time I tried the DVD about a year ago I didn't think I'd be able to finish it. Honestly I wasn't unfit but she demanded things of my legs that they just weren't used to. As I went on with her I found that I was getting a totally different muscle tone than I had with Jillian, more even and less bulky. Forgive a little vanity here, but I think maybe my legs have never looked this good and I actually have an ass now. Like all good workout DVDs the more fit I get with her the harder it gets because you can really do the moves properly. I used to really suffer from back/neck/head ache and I'm not saying I am cured or anything but a year of Element with the odd day of Pilates thrown in (try that 10 Minute Rapid Results--love her!) and I am a changed woman. I visit my massage therapist sister every summer and this past summer she couldn't believe the change in my body. She said that my wonky hips were actually nearly even now and she could see that symmetry all through my legs and back as well.
I remember back when I was reading the reviews for this someone was having a moan about the music track. I actually think it's better than most fitness DVDs, it's just the usual ambient/dance stuff, nothing special but surely not negative at all unless you totally hate that kind of thing which would be a bummer because I think it is unavoidable. It is very slick and lovely, nicely done all around, for those familiar with them it's polished in the way that Rodney Yee DVDs are.
I did splurge last time I was in America and bought a couple other ballet DVDs since I liked Element so much. Oh my lord, seriously I can't say I have tried every single one but they ones I did were not even in the same league, totally amateur.
OOh and one last thing, I have never ever in my life been able to walk in heels. I have always had them but they are strictly point-to-point affairs. Anyway, wore some at Christmas and couldn't believe I could actually properly walk in them, same shoes that I used to wobble about it but apparently having a strong core and my newly powerful legs has another bonus!

Timex Women's T2H371 Quartz Easy Reader Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet Women's

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin, 9 Jan. 2013
I think that was the ad from when I was a kid. Anyway, totally applies to this watch. I've had it just about two years now and despite wearing it in the shower everyday, keeping it on in the pool and my boys stealing it off my wrist to play secret agents it is still in perfect working order. I've never even had to change the battery, which is pretty amazing since between my boys and myself we've used the Indiglo bazillions of times. It even seems to be the perfect amount of light to have a quick check on them in the dark. My only caveat is if you are a fussy sleeper and you curl your arm up so that your hand is near your head you might find that its tick is a little loud. It doesn't bother me, but I can see that for some people it would be a deal breaker. Of course it's a matter of taste, but I think that it makes an excellent everyday watch and it is a nicely muted silver, not too shiney. I was an Ironman girl for years but I can see that this looks much nicer and I am a total convert to the expandable band.

Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Offered by Appods

1,101 of 1,144 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless The Jumperoo!, 27 Jan. 2009
My family and I absolutely 100% love the jumperoo. Musing about the price I decided that, yes, knowing what I do now I would pay hundreds, nay, thousands of pounds for this. Seriously I would sell the car. I just cannot overstate how this thing has quite literally saved my life. Short version: BUY THIS! Long version: With bab number one I was too smug for such things, if it wasn't handwoven organic wool naturally shed from free-range unionized sheep I didn't want to know. Then came our second son. Holy cow this kid can scream and scream he did from the moment he was born. None of my tricks worked. The "witchtwigs" (as my DH affectionately calls them), the osteopath, my mom coming to stay, my dad and his wife coming to stay, nothing could make this poor little dude happy. I was shattered, our previously joyful family was just really, well, sad and most of all we felt awful for this little guy that we couldn't find a way to help him out. One afternoon in tears I put us all in the car, sung through the screaming and bought the jumperoo. (Amazon, you know I buy far too much from you, I just couldn't wait a moment longer for a chance of help!) He was just over 3 months old then. I piled up some towels underneath him and away we went. I can't say it was an instant hit. I think we started out with 1 minute but I was determined. Within a few days though he had discovered its beauty and honestly life was forever altered. Suddenly he had something that for whatever reason gave him relief, distraction, whatever and it made him so happy! When he would launch into one of his screaming fits I'd put him into the jumperoo and like some kind of magic he would instantly stop. My sister is a massage therapist/herbalist and has a theory that because of where the ball of his foot contacts the floor he is able to get some kidney diaphragm release (I was too tired to pay total attention to what she was saying). Anyway, three months down the line and I don't care what a huge monster this thing is in our little living room. I know that somebody somewhere will someday tell us that it's not good for his hip development, but the truth is all that screaming wasn't good for anybody! So, if you have a little screamer and you are totally in despair, honestly give this a try it might just save you too!
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2017 7:46 PM GMT

Tomy Baby Link Plug In Baby Monitor
Tomy Baby Link Plug In Baby Monitor

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately useless!, 27 Jan. 2009
I really wanted this monitor to work. Paranoid me liked the idea of avoiding the radio waves controversy so when our old monitor broke the concept of a monitor using the mains for transmission was awesome. But no, like other reviewers, it just didn't work at all. There was just a loud hum. Even with it cranked to full and sending my preschooler upstairs with the mission of "being noisy for mommy" I could still barely detect anything besides the hum buzz.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2012 11:32 AM GMT