Shop Now Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now
Profile for Wayne > Reviews

Content by Wayne

Wayne (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mr Oliver's Object of Desire
Mr Oliver's Object of Desire

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, Funny, and beautifully written., 6 Nov. 2016
Another incredibly strong, funny and heartwarming novel from VG Lee.

Wonderfully set in the mid 1970s. It had me reaching for my Vauxhall Viva and fluffy dice!

The characters were drawn to perfection. Not all likeable but I rooted for pretty much all of them anyway.

If you want a great read, with some fantastic laugh out loud right next to tender moments then this is highly recommended.

The Black Path
The Black Path
by Paul Burston

4.0 out of 5 stars Criminally Good, 16 Sept. 2016
This review is from: The Black Path (Paperback)
I purchased a copy at the airport and enjoyed reading it on holiday.

Paul's best novel to date. The genre shift has resulted in a wonderful flourish.

Story is intense with lots of twists and turns. The characters are so believable and I loved the setting.

Highly recommended.

When's the next coming out? Can't wait.

The Killer Next Door
The Killer Next Door
by Alex Marwood

4.0 out of 5 stars She's killed it again, 25 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Killer Next Door (Paperback)
This is the second book from Alex Marwood that I have enjoyed.

The story is strong and original, the characters believable and the setting perfect.

What I really like is that she is not afraid to tell us who the killer is before the end. It doesn't matter. There was so much plot and tension yet to be resolved that the pace wasn't disturbed in the slightest. Both this book and Wicked Girls (where we learned of the identity of the killer before the end also) have so many layers. It's a confident approach and one that I thoroughly enjoy...

Recommended read - paced, thrillers with plenty of twists and turns.

And I loved the ending - won't post here as it's a final unexpected twist.

Mile High: A Twisting Rollercoaster Ride of Stalking and Passion at Thirty Thousand Feet
by Rebecca Chance

4.0 out of 5 stars Lofty Excellence, 22 Sept. 2015
A fast-paced, funny romp in the clouds.

A great and varied cast of characters all on the same virgin flight for Pure Air’s new LuxLiner. Each character is multi-dimensional and believable.
The back stories add a lot of meat to the bones, and there is a real sense of the various plot lines as they unfold.

Rebecca Chance is at the top of her game. I follow her on Facebook, and she interacts and listens to her readers. Last year she asked people to volunteer their names for the book. I did, was selected and it was great to see it in there.

If you want an action-packed, camp, thrilling frolic through the skies then this book is just the (airline) ticket.

The Wicked Girls
The Wicked Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Original, 6 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Wicked Girls (Kindle Edition)
5 stars for an amazing novel.

A multi-layered fast-moving plot filled with tension from the beginning until the very last page.

Characters beautifully drawn and I ended up rooting for characters I never thought I would or should. It questioned my belief in at what point should anyone be given a second chance.

A must read and masterclass in plot and voice for writers.

A Summer of Surprises
A Summer of Surprises

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Jan Ellis, 5 Sept. 2015
Another consistent, well-written short novel by Jan Ellis. I love to escape into someone else's world and Jan writes in such a way that you're completely drawn in. It was the same in A French Kiss.

Her writing is enticing and real. I was in the coastal village with her fighting against the development.

Each character is alive and 360 degrees. I have to say that Connie was my favourite. I adore a spirited pensioner into Battenberg.

Highly recommended for a light carefree read.

MONOLOGUES for YOUTH  Volume 2: The Fire Within
MONOLOGUES for YOUTH Volume 2: The Fire Within
by Sylvia Valevicius

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Strong Volume, 6 Aug. 2015
Sylvia continues what she started in her first volume. We have another powerful yet simple set of monologues aimed at youth.

Sympathetically and beautifully written. Sylvia's experience in the dramatic arts is clear from the way she writes. There is so much to draw out and upon. Sylvia has continued to tackle seemingly difficult subjects without reserve.

A valuable asset for your children or your classroom.

Monologues for Youth
Monologues for Youth

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuables For Youth - NO - for everyone!, 6 Aug. 2015
Sylvia's text is simple and powerful - perfect for dramatic monologue. She captures the essence of youth and is not afraid to tackle difficult topics. I'm sure any group of youths reading the pieces as a group would gain greater understanding of others perhaps less fortunate than themselves.

There aren't that many monologues for school age students and this collection is highly recommended.

French Kisses
French Kisses

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously French all the Way, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: French Kisses (Kindle Edition)
An excellent, gentle, feel good book by a talented author.

I could smell the fresh croissants baking as I read Jan's beautiful prose. Jan shows us, through her main character Rachel, how to glide from despair and insecurity to hope and a future. The writing is subtle and has a wonderful flow which reflects how we all imagine French life to be for ex-pats.

I'd love to visit the guesthouse Jan creates. Anyone got the website?

Thanks for a great read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 6:55 PM BST

A Glass Of Blessings (Virago Modern Classics)
A Glass Of Blessings (Virago Modern Classics)
by Barbara Pym

5.0 out of 5 stars intelligent writer with a talent for making the ordinary extraordinary, 2 Sept. 2014
Barbara Pym is an observant, intelligent writer with a talent for making the ordinary extraordinary.

Who else could make me sit on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen to the vicars Faberge eggs or what they would have with tea.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys the subtleties of literary fiction.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4